Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 6:20:30 PM EDT
I would like to sell a firearm to a friend who also lives in VA.
Problem is he lives far away and we are not sure when we will be able to get together.

Since we are both VA residents, can I just ship the rifle directly to his house?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:52:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IIRC, since you both live in the same state, you should be able to ship it directly to his house.

I do know that in theory this is correct.  The feds laws on commerce of firearms are only allowed to be applied to interstate commerce.  Of course we know how often THAT clause gets warped.

-Ben
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#3]
By law, yes you can ship it to his door step.  But you won't find any carrier that will ship it for you.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
By law, yes you can ship it to his door step.  But you won't find any carrier that will ship it for you.

When I shipped my FAL accross the country to an individual to get it worked on, UPS did not seem to care.
FedEx ships Garands for the CMP

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I disagree with not finding carriers - I've used UPS plenty of times for this, and believe USPS is required to ship your package as long as it's legal (although you'll probably have to take prinouts and prove it).  UPS will make you take your package to a hub versus one of their mailboxes, etc-type dropoff points, but they will ship....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#6]
The asshole at our UPS hub refuses to ship firearms unless you have a FFL. I tried to explain it to him but his head is harder than a rock. Guess next time I need to take print outs of ATF laws and UPS regs.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh yeah, my failure.  From the USPS website

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service? [Back]

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

I had a pretty funny experience with the clerk at my post office when I shipped my CX4 out of state.

I'm convinced you could ship any firearm to someone else without the "services" of an FFL if you wanted to.  (I personally don't see anything wrong with it since FFLs charge entirely too much as it is)

Oh and check out this website:  Shipping of Firearms
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The asshole at our UPS hub refuses to ship firearms unless you have a FFL. I tried to explain it to him but his head is harder than a rock. Guess next time I need to take print outs of ATF laws and UPS regs.

Yeah, take a print out and rub it in his face.  I would be tempted to try to get him fired for failing to provide you with a government service because of his ignorance
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Oh yeah, my failure.  From the USPS website

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service? [Back]

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

I had a pretty funny experience with the clerk at my post office when I shipped my CX4 out of state.

I'm convinced you could ship any firearm to someone else without the "services" of an FFL if you wanted to.  (I personally don't see anything wrong with it since FFLs charge entirely too much as it is)

Oh and check out this website:  Shipping of Firearms

Interstate commerce: Only if you are shipping it to a Licensee or yourself (as in to your hunting lodge for your hunting trip or back to your house).  If you don't believe me, Call the ATF they regulate Interstate commerce in firearms.  See 922(b)(3)(B) 478.147

Steve
Hallmark Small Arms
804-986-7409

And I DON"T charge alot to transfer firearms, matter of fact I don't think anybody in the state is cheaper.   So unless you get the buddy discount and it's free, you are paying too much.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#10]
The only thing i can tell you is that if you ship it ups, don't tape the box up before getting to the hub. I had to mail a handgun in for repairs and they made me cut open the box and prove it was not loaded. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The only thing i can tell you is that if you ship it ups, don't tape the box up before getting to the hub. I had to mail a handgun in for repairs and they made me cut open the box and prove it was not loaded. Good luck.

Why tell them?   When I shipped my Glock in for a recall all FedEx said was I had to ship it next day air.    I insured it for it's worth and sent it off.   No problems.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#12]
hahaha my favorite thing when you ship a box is when the monotone woman says "Does this package contain any weapons or hazardous materials?"

... "Nope."

and off it goes!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
hahaha my favorite thing when you ship a box is when the monotone woman says "Does this package contain any weapons or hazardous materials?"

... "Nope."

and off it goes!

I have never ever ever ever been asked that.

Once.  Once, I was asked what was in it, and I was shipping parts.  So I said parts.  He said okay and shipped it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I've gotten asked every time
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've gotten asked every time

By Fedex or the USPS?   I have been asked by USPS before but not Fedex.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#16]
USPS
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:09:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I guess Im lucky I live in a small town.  I use the USPS for mailing my guns everytime. The only "hassle" it costs me is a little gun talk with the clerk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top