Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 8:44:30 AM EDT
It may not be tomorrow, but I'm tired of sitting here, on a Saturday afternoon, wanting to shoot and being restricted by

1)  Idiotic zoning ordinances and grouchy anti gun neighbors
2)  The only range near me being a) outdoor and b) charging outrageous ammo prices and c) requiring I buy their ammo and checking receipts...
3)  The only ranges I like being 2 hours drive time away (NRA or Shooters Paradise)...

I envision this range being near rte 29 in Culpeper, on the Fredericksburg side...there are no public indoor ranges here, or in Fredericksburg (unless you count the Range in Stafford, where you cannot shoot rifles), or in Charlottesville...

Hell, if I am going to work the rest of my life, it may as well be doing something I like....I didnt really want to be a lawyer anyway...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#1]
You must be talking about Clark Bros. . Just go in buy a box of their .223  ($6.95) and a pack of targets. Leave the box on the bench and have at it with your ammo. No one has ever questioned me there but I leave the box with the reciept inside on the bench  just in case. Its the box of ammo that keeps on giving. The last time I was there they had some nice M-193. I figure for what boils down to 4 bucks I can shoot at a covered range. Yeah its outdoors but hey, wear a coat. Its about the only "free" range around so I usually try to buy something there. You are right about one thing though, you would go broke buying ammo from them. Weekends suck there anyway 'cause of the crowds. I go through the week. Check out if there are any Issac Walton leagues in your area. A lot of them have ranges, but you would have to join.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I have had them ask for receipts from me...and I shoot .45....they charge 20 bucks a box for american eagle .45 hardball...i can buy it for 9 bucks a box...if i go to a range that lets me bring my own ammo, and that has a 6 dollar/ half hour charge, I am saving a ton of money by paying their fee and bringing my own ammo....

also, the policy in general irritates me...I like some of the guys over there, but they have a general monopoly on this market, and they price and act like they know it...

no, the more I think about it, an indoor 25 yard rifle/pistol range in culpeper, within 35 minutes drive time of fredericksburg, warrenton, and charlottesville, and an hour from manassas may be exactly what i need to do....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#3]
If you need a partner, count me in.  ;)
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#4]
That's why I like the range I go to. 50 steps from my front door. Sometimes the walk is too much so I shoot from the porch. Anyone in the area is welcome to shoot here, ain't fancy but it works.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#5]
centralvahunter
can you pm me with your location i am looking for shooting friends in va  thanks  rick in va
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]
me too man, i always am looking for people to shoot with....

I am serious about this though, my wife and I have been looking into it, and there are some commercial sites near the intersection of rte 3 and 29 that are very tempting...

I figure a store front with a 25 yard indoor range...run some competitions, i could go to some gun shows, supplement the income with internet sales....I think realistically, I am probably looking at startup capital in the 500k to 1 mill range...figure an acre and a half of commercial land at around 100k in these parts....plus 300-400 for a commercial concrete building with the ventilation and backstop...then inventory...i am probably low there, but it is still certainly possible...

i need to start working on a serious business plan...it would be great if I could open this by the end of the year...but I need to graduate law school first, and I should probably sit for the bar....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I have attempted to start our own range and it would benefit us greatly, if everyone could join for 300.00 per year and at least half the Virginia team was members we could have a range that envied any other private range in the USA.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought you wanted to take a AR/AK out for a spin. Oh well, buying your own unrestricted land is probally your best option. I own 3 unrestricted acres that I shoot on that I bought years ago but still enjoy going to "that" range now and again when I need something at the shop. I hope you find the unrestricted land with no bitchy neighbors you'll need to make your range happen. I wish I had bought more land next to mine when it was cheap. I can just eek out a safe 100yd. range on my place the way it lays. I have to go to my hunting lease for my long range (300yd.) shooting. The common thing in all of the places I shoot is $$$, I have to "pay to play" to be able to enjoy shooting. I payed for my land, I pay for my hunting lease, and if I use a range I pay in one respect or another. Bottom line is unless you feel like kissing someones ass to shoot on their property you are right in deciding to buy your own.  Good Luck
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#9]
why not just join Rivanna?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I havent been back since sept and the last time I was their I inquired about the Beowulf ammo and the siad yeah its $45.00 a box of 20. Since then I havent thought twice about going back there for anything.

It would be nice to have some property or know someone who has private land that I or we all could shoot at without annoying anyone.

May just have to take you up on your invitation centralvahunter
and go shooting.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Depending on where you live there is the Isaac Walton League in Stafford. I belong to it and it is a pretty nice place 100yd rifle and 25yd pistol along with archery range. It is tucked away in staford. No hastles at all.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:13:50 AM EDT
[#12]
There's also the IWLA in Fredericksburg and The Range in Stafford.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:53:08 AM EDT
[#13]
it takes me a good 50 minutes to an hour to get to the range in stafford, and once there, I cannot shoot my rifles...although they are nice folks....

I think there is an IWLA in Madison which is tons closer to me...dont know if they have a range though....

no, the fact is that central virginia is extremely wanting for a public range...

Rivanna I hear is nice, but if I move to the north side of culpeper (which it is looking like i am this summer) then i will be an hour from there....

the closest public style range to charlottesville is in richmond or staunton...for those of us in Orange/Madison/Culpeper the closest is Clark Bros, and beyond that, NoVA...

its just academic at this point...most of the "millionares" in this country are small business owners...not saying an enterprise such as this would be that successful, but wouldnt it be nice to pay yourself to run a range?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:56:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I heard a couple of years ago that one of the stone quarrys on the road past Coffeywood Correctional Center were letting folks shoot. Might have been just for LEO folks though. A
LEO told me about it. Might be worth checking out. Check out some of the small farms out that way too, I never had trouble getting permission to turkey hunt around Culpepper/Orange Co.. Who knows, nothing ventured nothing gained. You might come across a good lease oppertunity. Some landowners will let one person hunt/shoot but not a bunch of people. Its also a good way to find out if they or one of their neighbors has property for sale. Thats exactly how I came across my place. It was one of those farmer Joe had an operation and needed money type of things that farmer John told me about. Farmer Joe had 3 acres that were unattached to his farm and he sold it to me. Thing is you never know what might be available unless you get out and try to find something. It  would  give you something to do on a cold Saterday too.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#15]
1srelluc

How do you find out if a rural piece of property has "anti shooting" restrictions? I am looking for a rural piece of property as a "weekend retreat" for my wife and I, but one of my prime motivations is to make my own range.

Additionally, you bring up a good idea that supports LRT's past threads on a AR friendly range. That is the thought of sharing a hunting lease with an established club.

I don't know whether this is practical or not, but it would seem this would be a great "off season" use of the property and could potentially provide the club with an improved range facility to sight in those "deer rifles" at ranges from 25 to 300 yards.

Anyone a member of a hunting club with an existing range or with open land with potential to be a range?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#16]
the big problem in Culpeper and Orange is that there is a lot of land that is being re-classified and re-zoned....

In Orange, if property has been zoned as part of a "residential subdivision" it is against county ordinance to shoot....I, for example, have 2+ acres of old farmland, but because of how it is zoned, shooting is a no-go...

a lot of the land out around the city has 10 acre plots now, but they have been re-zoned, and so it is illegal to shoot there...

remember, that Culpeper had a motion before the city and county planning commission to make it illegal to fire anything other than a BB gun on property less than FIFTY acres...that has gone by the wayside for now, but it will be back...

as NoVA grows south, and Charlottesville grows north to meet it, these things will be more and more common...

now, of course, someone has to report you...but all it takes is one grouchy neighbor, and you could be in trouble...

and as this happens, I think the demand for ranges/clubs will go up significantly
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Check out WMA and see if there is a rifle range near you.  We go to Chickahominy,  it's free, and we bring our own ammo, targets, etc.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
1srelluc

How do you find out if a rural piece of property has "anti shooting" restrictions? I am looking for a rural piece of property as a "weekend retreat" for my wife and I, but one of my prime motivations is to make my own range.

Additionally, you bring up a good idea that supports LRT's past threads on a AR friendly range. That is the thought of sharing a hunting lease with an established club.

I don't know whether this is practical or not, but it would seem this would be a great "off season" use of the property and could potentially provide the club with an improved range facility to sight in those "deer rifles" at ranges from 25 to 300 yards.

Anyone a member of a hunting club with an existing range or with open land with potential to be a range?[/quote]

the hunting club is a damn good idea, or if someone has connections with one of the big timber companies???

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the fact that i can go out on the deck with a full mag of 5.56 and zing some rounds at an 8" plate at 200m in my underwear.... but thats just me
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I like the fact that i can go out on the deck with a full mag of 5.56 and zing some rounds at an 8" plate at 200m in my underwear.... but thats just me

If you have the range then you have a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I can't stretch 200 meters yet but I have been on the porch shootin' in nothing but  my underware. Wife said it might scare the neighbors. The sight not the sound.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I can only go on what I know about my County/property, but in a nutshell if it has never been subdivided and it is a stand alone property,(not connected to a larger piece of property)  then it is unrestricted property and only subject to current zoning. I picked my property due to the fact it is in a flood plane and can't be built on, just used for recreation. That is how it is zoned also. It took me a long time to find what I wanted. A place to fish and a place to shoot.  I don't know about duel leasing of hunting property. I lease both hunting and shooting rights from the landowner as most clubs do. It would be great if you could find a landowner to do it , but the friction between the two groups could be a problem. On my lease I control what time of year the range can be used.  No one bow hunts so 2 weeks prior to our Muzzleloader season the range is closed. It remains that way until the second Sunday after rifle season starts.  Sorry, I was out of town and just got back today to respond.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:08:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't stretch 200 meters yet but I have been on the porch shootin' in nothing but  my underware. Wife said it might scare the neighbors. The sight not the sound.

Where are you located, I would love to accept an invitation to shoot on your land with you.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I envision this range being near rte 29 in Culpeper, on the Fredericksburg side...there are no public indoor ranges here, or in Fredericksburg (unless you count the Range in Stafford, where you cannot shoot rifles), or in Charlottesville...

As stated by another poster above, why not join Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club,which is about 10minutes south of Charlottesville? $100 per year to join, $75 to renew. Indoor and outdoor ranges. I'm about 45 minutes from it. There's a significant discount if you're more than a certain distance away. It might still be worth it for you.
www.rrpc.org
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
me too man, i always am looking for people to shoot with....

I am serious about this though, my wife and I have been looking into it, and there are some commercial sites near the intersection of rte 3 and 29 that are very tempting...

I figure a store front with a 25 yard indoor range...run some competitions, i could go to some gun shows, supplement the income with internet sales....I think realistically, I am probably looking at startup capital in the 500k to 1 mill range...figure an acre and a half of commercial land at around 100k in these parts....plus 300-400 for a commercial concrete building with the ventilation and backstop...then inventory...i am probably low there, but it is still certainly possible...

i need to start working on a serious business plan...it would be great if I could open this by the end of the year...but I need to graduate law school first, and I should probably sit for the bar....

Thats funny...You sound suspiciously like my brother-in-law......
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Quoted:
1srelluc

Anyone a member of a hunting club with an existing range or with open land with potential to be a range?[/quote]

the hunting club is a damn good idea, or if someone has connections with one of the big timber companies???

I'm not exactly positive, but I think the minimum amount of land required for hunting/shooting purposes, is 10 acres.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#27]
"You sound suspiciously like my brother-in-law..."

Hmmmm....COULD be ;)

Hey, we still on for Saturday?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
1srelluc

I'm not exactly positive, but I think the minimum amount of land required for hunting/shooting purposes, is 10 acres.

I think that depends on the county.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#29]
yup.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I have attempted to start our own range and it would benefit us greatly, if everyone could join for 300.00 per year and at least half the Virginia team was members we could have a range that envied any other private range in the USA.

I thought the numbers we needed were more like 5 figures from the concerned members.  300$?  HEck I'd double that for an arfkom (outdoor) range.

As long as we take every membership rule from every NOVA gun club and have the exact opposites as our own, e.g. ANYONE (with an arfkom membership ) can join as lo0ng as you follow the rules and pay up.  entry memberships with a little range maintainenece work, full memberships, etc.  stuff like that.

take wha tI hate from every club here and make it nicer!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top