Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2006 4:25:49 PM EDT
Now that I have a Rem 700, I've got a Q. Here it goes, Why do some rifles like AR-15's have a muzzle brake and others like the Rem 700 do not?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#1]
good choice on the Rem 700...very nice rifle.

my guess is it has something to do with the Rem. being a bolt rifle and the ar15 uses a gas system and there is a lot of blow back without a break on it...just a guess

others will be along soon to answer it better for you.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Rem 700 is not a rapid fire weapon. Thus, muzzle rize between shots is not relevant. Besides, there are the disadvantages of noise, dust kicked up, cost, etc.

The AR is a self-loading rifle. You maintain the sight picture between shots. With a good break, like the JP Cooley or JP Tank brake, the reticle or dot will barely move at all between shots. This can allow you to put two or more shots in nearly the exact same place with little time beween shots.

The military is starting to realize the benefits of IPSC modifications like Red Dot scopes and brakes; many M-4s in service use a Red Dot and the designated marksman rifle (whatever they call it) uses and IPSC style brake - though not a very efficient one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:11:23 AM EDT
[#3]
This is on my 3-gun Bushy.  It has a Bennie Cooley brake.  3-gun is basically like Indy car racing.  It's accuracy+time.  So you need to be both very accurate shooting all three guns (pistol, shotgun and rifle).  To be really fast with an AR you need to get it's very little recoil to begin with even lower.  Mine shoots almost completely flat using the muzzle brake, adjustable gas block and a Enidine hydraulic buffer.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Technically, I think you could say many AR-15’s don’t really have muzzle brakes, they have compensators, which are patterned off M-16’s and are meant to reduce muzzle rise during full-auto fire.

Granted, many competitive shooters do use for-real muzzle brakes on their AR’s to speed up their shooting.

Plus, during the AWB the original compensators (which are also flash suppressors) were illegal, so many AR manufacturers replaced them with muzzle brakes, which have a similar appearance.

While your 700 may not have a muzzle brake, you will occasionally find hard-kicking bolt guns with muzzle brakes attached.  However, many folks (myself included) don’t like muzzle brakes since they redirect much of the muzzle blast back toward the shooter.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#5]
[---since they redirect much of the muzzle blast back toward the shooter.]

Boy howdy.  Not to mention people shooting next to you.  I had a guy that I could've sworn was cooking off 7.62x51 beside me once at the NRA until I realized he had an AR with a Y-Comp.  You could actually feel the concussion in your internals.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Was fortunate enough to fire the rifle pictured above in competition this past Sunday (thanks GotM4) and I can confirm that it is extremely effective.  By "effective" I mean that if your intent is to place 5.56mm rounds on targets as small as 4" out to 150 meters and also engage small moving targets as fast as you can acquire them, this is the configuration for you.  Dead reliable too.  Guns that had no muzzle brake & lacked an optic simply could not compete with this rifle.

GotM4 managed to take 4th on the rifle portion of the shoot & I managed 9th ( me w/ borrowed AR match rifle):

Full results on www.shootersparadise.com

CBR
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Boy howdy.  Not to mention people shooting next to you.  I had a guy that I could've sworn was cooking off 7.62x51 beside me once at the NRA until I realized he had an AR with a Y-Comp.  You could actually feel the concussion in your internals.  

Did you ever see the stock comp on a SA SAR8?  It was like a .30 version of a Y-comp.  The .308 used to shake the old thick walls of the NRA stalls.  I had a guy drop his target .22 pistol once because it startled him so bad.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:41:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Tell me about it. I had a squad leader on a live fire crack off an entire magazine, muzzle even with my ear, 1 foot to the right, in about 20 seconds during a raid exercise. Talk about the pain (not to mention plugs had already fallen out in all the running around, and the two AT-4's fired 6 feet to the right seconds later....)
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I had a guy that I could've sworn was cooking off 7.62x51 beside me once at the NRA until I realized he had an AR with a Y-Comp.  You could actually feel the concussion in your internals.  

I took the carbine class at NRA back when the ban was still in effect.  Imagine standing down at the 5 yard line so there's no dividers between you and the other shooters and having 2 or 3 shooters on each side of you that all have Y-comps or AK brakes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I had a guy that I could've sworn was cooking off 7.62x51 beside me once at the NRA until I realized he had an AR with a Y-Comp.  You could actually feel the concussion in your internals.  

I took the carbine class at NRA back when the ban was still in effect.  Imagine standing down at the 5 yard line so there's no dividers between you and the other shooters and having 2 or 3 shooters on each side of you that all have Y-comps or AK brakes.

''

Tell me about it. I had a squad leader on a live fire crack off an entire magazine, muzzle even with my ear, 1 foot to the right, in about 20 seconds during a raid exercise. Talk about the pain (not to mention plugs had already fallen out in all the running around, and the two AT-4's fired 6 feet to the right seconds later....)

It's not loud unless you're feeling the concussions and your nose starts to bleed... but that's just from the guys firing 100 yards away in the howitzer next to yours. Gotta love that red bag propellant
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top