Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 10:49:45 AM EDT
Ok so it shipped out on friday from PA. I have one of less than 500guns that are released in the US. So, anywya, I got it lower than retail price because I got pretty much locked in on the waiting list. Going to take tons of pics when I get it. Tracking says delivering today. Called the dealer and they had it, will post this when I get back.

Ok so I left this on notepad while I was out. Well my dealer wouldnt give it to me. I didnt have a ligitimate problem like I did with my saiga like it being too short. Nope, they hadnt put it on their books yet. I shoulda gotten it transfered through dominion but I didnt because I wasnt sure if I could make it up there during the week. Anyways, apparently it has to be put in their computer and in order for that to happen a certain person has to be there or something. Nevermind all that is required is a simple written log. So I was told maybe tomorrow before I can go get it.

I did however, get to play with the firearm that I paid for. I dont know if I like the optics. They were very dark inside in that lighting. From what I have been told they glow very brightly when they collect light and glow at night because they have tritium in them. I have to say I dont care for the green but I can fix that. On to the good stuff - the thing points nice and is SMALL. I mean very small.

When I get it I am going to post bunches of pics.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#1]
You going to bring it to Hite Hollow on 4/1?

Dibs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Would love too but unfortunatly I go to school during the week and work on the weekends. I try to get close to my 40hours in in 2 days.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#3]
You ARE gonna SBR it, right?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Here are some pics. I will take more tomorrow.

About the best view I have seen through the thing yet.

One of the views of the right when it is actually visible inside. It is kind of off center but I circled it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Glad you were able to clean all of the drool that I left on it.  VERY NICE.  

Got me thinking that the bullpup design is worth investigating!

Don't know why you are going to go SB?   Just trying to get it to factory specs?  Thing feels VERY short as is.

BTW,  Saiga's got someone talking about SBR'ing theirs (in the shotgun section, lol).  Apparently CMMG has bbls available, so that you could keep the original or sell it off.   I don't know restrictions crossing state lines, but it might be nice to have the full length bbl if that's ever an issue.

Good stuff!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#7]
whats the retail for one of those?  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I locked mine in at 1399.00. Afteward retail went upwards of $1750!!! When they sent this batch to the guy I got it from his distributor refused to honor their original price and the dealer raised it about $100. From what I understand he took a hit to keep it from going up any higher. Had to end up paying a little extra but no where near what their current retail is. If you can still get on his waiting list I think he is now offering new people on it for $1550 which is still lower than MFR. He has a bunch of FN packages so that is what lets him get it cheap.

Yeh the factory barrel isnt bad but if you get something like that you want to be able to use a factory spec barrel. For me the factory spec barrel will also let me use the m4-2000 that is transfering in.

Shot it today and it is a blast to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Got mine on Monday. Took it out for a little spin today. I was worried about adjusting the sights, considering the manual doesn't cover it. However, the sights were set dead on for 50 yards with SS195/192.

ETA: My wife shot the first 10 rounds from it, she deserved it since she did the legwork. She asked if we can go shooting tomorrow. Not many guns have her asking that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Where are you gentlemen picking up your ammo?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Where are you gentlemen picking up your ammo?

Well now, that's the trick isn't it?

Basically there are a few reputable internet dealers, like Midway, and you subscribe to their watchlist and when they get it in you buy the ammo whether you need it or not.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Protein Shake bottle that fell victim to the ss196 5.7X28 round.

The thing is now in the process of being made black. Will post more when it is done.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Did the whole thing black tonight. Very nice look now. Still gota get rid of the holosite and the long barrel.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:32:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice!!   Goa'ould beware!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:01:33 AM EDT
[#15]
The black looks nice, but I think I'm keeping mine green.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:11:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I like the black, how did you do it?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:37:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Black is sweet!

I got one of two I have on order in on Monday and shipped it out yesterday.  I didn't even get a chance to really finger it, but it is very cool.  The customer asked me if I new anybody that could dye it black so I sent him to LCW, but if you don't mind I may just forward him this thread info so he could contact you directly.  He is a DIY type person and I think he would be up for a project.

NOTE:  For those of you interested in a PS90, the other one I have on order is sold and my distributor is telling me they may not be able to meet current backorders until next year....blah blah blah.  Sorry, if I had it I'd offer it for sale, same goes for ammo, I have 10,000 rounds on backorder (5 cases).....

Steve
Hallmark Small Arms
804-986-7409
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:30:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Ok the black was a little bit more complex than doing a HK dye job. I had originally planned on doing duracoat but this I think turned out just as good, cheaper, and better.

First get some black RITZ dye. I got to bottles but only one is necassary. You will also need something to coat the stock in because the dye will make it almost black but not true black. Duracoat is nice and I have a little bit of it but something else caugt my eye. It is a newer product you can get at walmart called krylon plastic. The stuff is suppose to bond with plastic. Dry in 10min, handle after 1 hour, and fully chip proof after 7 days.

Find a pan or something that the PS 90 lower will fit inside of. For this I used a cheap kitty litter box I picked up when I got the dye.

Completely field strip the lower (do not mess with the trigger pack) then find a metric allen wrench and take out the screws in the lower. It will come appart and watch out not to lose any of the springs such as the safety spring and the ejection port cover. Take all that stuff out. You should have two halfs that look like a p90 lower cut in half. Degrease both of them really well.

Boil enough water to fill the bucket. Take the bucket and the parts sitting inside of it outside. Add the water and cover the two halfs completely. Next add the dye. I tried half a bottle first and after waiting 5 min stuck my finger in the water and it did not turn black. There wasnt enough black in there if that happens. I then added the rest of the bottle of black and let it sit for an hour.  

Pour the stuff out making sure not to get any on anything you do not want to stay black. Wash the two halfs off good with the water hose before taking them inside. Once inside I recomend washing off in the sink more and maybe with soap it is up to you. I used to recommend running parts in the dishwasher to get any extra dye off until someone said they blacked their dishwasher. I dont think the other rensing took place first.

Dry the two halfs and you will have a very dark grey. If you want black you should then apply a cover. I took the two halfs and sit them on two seperate plastic kitty litter pans that were turned upside down. I then sprayed them both with a medium coat of the krylon plasitc black. Gave them a few hours to dry and wala.

I have been told that sometimes the krylon plastic doesn bond with some plastics completely. One guy said he took it off with solvent. I could maybe see this but it was probably before it completely cured. Also, I dyed it first so in case anything ever scraped the finish you could see dark grey and not green under it.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:57:11 AM EDT
[#19]
You've got Cojones of Steel my friend. Took your new, hard to get $1500.  gun and dipped its parts in Hot Dye yourself.  I'm not worthy ;-)

Quoted:
Ok the black was a little bit more complex than doing a HK dye job. I had originally planned on doing duracoat but this I think turned out just as good, cheaper, and better.

First get some black RITZ dye. I got to bottles but only one is necassary. You will also need something to coat the stock in because the dye will make it almost black but not true black. Duracoat is nice and I have a little bit of it but something else caugt my eye. It is a newer product you can get at walmart called krylon plastic. The stuff is suppose to bond with plastic. Dry in 10min, handle after 1 hour, and fully chip proof after 7 days.

Find a pan or something that the PS 90 lower will fit inside of. For this I used a cheap kitty litter box I picked up when I got the dye.

Completely field strip the lower (do not mess with the trigger pack) then find a metric allen wrench and take out the screws in the lower. It will come appart and watch out not to lose any of the springs such as the safety spring and the ejection port cover. Take all that stuff out. You should have two halfs that look like a p90 lower cut in half. Degrease both of them really well.

Boil enough water to fill the bucket. Take the bucket and the parts sitting inside of it outside. Add the water and cover the two halfs completely. Next add the dye. I tried half a bottle first and after waiting 5 min stuck my finger in the water and it did not turn black. There wasnt enough black in there if that happens. I then added the rest of the bottle of black and let it sit for an hour.  

Pour the stuff out making sure not to get any on anything you do not want to stay black. Wash the two halfs off good with the water hose before taking them inside. Once inside I recomend washing off in the sink more and maybe with soap it is up to you. I used to recommend running parts in the dishwasher to get any extra dye off until someone said they blacked their dishwasher. I dont think the other rensing took place first.

Dry the two halfs and you will have a very dark grey. If you want black you should then apply a cover. I took the two halfs and sit them on two seperate plastic kitty litter pans that were turned upside down. I then sprayed them both with a medium coat of the krylon plasitc black. Gave them a few hours to dry and wala.

I have been told that sometimes the krylon plastic doesn bond with some plastics completely. One guy said he took it off with solvent. I could maybe see this but it was probably before it completely cured. Also, I dyed it first so in case anything ever scraped the finish you could see dark grey and not green under it.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:04:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the write up!  Info passed to customer.

Steve
Hallmark Small Arms
804-986-7409
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#21]
One caveat is that you most likely void the warranty on the PS90 frame by changing it (modification). Keep in mind that there are metal parts moving against the plastic frame (cocking handle, breech block, etc...) and if anything should happen (premature wear, cracking, etc...) FN may refuse warranty service... But your black PS90 looks great and as I noted in your other thread, I actually like the OD better.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#22]
When taking photographs of optical reticles, make sure your camera focuses on the subject as if it was a human eye looking through the scope.
Here are my photos:

The real night sight is just a red/orange "T". I shined a light directly into the fiber optic channels to make the sights this bright.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#23]
As far as the blacking, I only dyed the inside no stuff would rub on the parts.

I wish the optic looked the way yours does with that light. My photo does a real good job of reproducing the crappy image that the optic gives. I am going to do a holo site very soon.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#24]
I had bought the airsoft tri-rail well before Tyler and Halo started work on their rails but I didn't have any way to precisely mill the surfaces to fit. I had a Bushnell red dot ready to go at the time, but I re-evaluated the Ring Sights reflex sight and figured it wasn't all that bad. I'm not fond of battery operated optics (I gave red dots a try and they're a cool feature but not for me).  I would think a 2x scope may work very well for the PS90 since the ammo has a max effective range of 200m. I could probably just use the iron sights out to 200m.

My point regarding the warranty was that the dye would not cause anything to fail, but FN may void the warranty because of the modification done to the finish; then again they may not. I haven't heard of Glock rejecting pistols that had modifications done to the frame (stippling, finger groove removals, backstraps, etc...) Your PS90 looks fantastic and I'm tempted to have it dyed but I like the OD more
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Even if the stock site had a 3rd power source like a battery option it would be great. All it would have needed is a small LED and 2 AAA batteries. That way if the battery died you still have a sight. I have heard that the Factory brand airsoft site fits fine and the rails are fine. I might go that route.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#26]
The airsoft P90 owners hate the red dot and either go with the P90TR or get the airsoft rail replacement...
If you like the reflex sight, you might want to consider the Trijicon TriPower. It's $400+ but it's what we're thinking of: a reflex sight that uses a fiber optic collector, tritium, and battery power. I think one model takes cyalume light sticks too.

What you might also want to consider is adding some type of polarizing filter for the objective "lens". When it gets darkened a little, the day sight looks VERY clear because you're now getting a lot of ambient light through the fiber optic and displaying the reticle on a darker "background"

try holding a finger over the objective "lens" and use the sight as an OEG (both eyes open). Note how clear the reticle appears with just a little light input.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Yep both eyes open helps a lot but it just isnt bright indoors. I am used to the eotechs and ACOGs. I have been spoiled by the ACOG because I bought one and used it in the sandbox for almost a year. When comparing this sight with that is is sad. I have looked at the Reflex II also. There is a dealer around here that has them for like $350 in stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top