Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2006 7:02:52 PM EDT
I want to get a beavertail safety on my Springfield Armory milspec 1911. I want to get the frame fitted so it will sit higher in my hand. Thanks in advance.
Josh
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:06:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out the Armory and A&P. if they cant do it they should be able to point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#2]
A&P has a new gunsmith and he's there Wed-Sun.

They have the name of a local guy who is supposed to be great with 1911s.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:08:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to Bob Yurina of Antique and Modern Repair.  361 0311
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Now there's a name I haven't heard before. Do you have any examples of this guys work, Mark? I have a couple of 1911's that need a tweak or two, and I'm wierd about sending guns off to have work done.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#5]
give him a call-don't let the shop be an indication of his work. He used to be w/A&P, went on his own ans still does some stuff for them and Bob's. He does alot of engraving and restoration.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Bob Yurina is perhaps one of the best kept secrets of the Tidewater area.  He does a lot of high end stuff, mostly.  He's top notch personally and professionally.

The stories that I could tell ya about A&P..........................

Sam Dayton, if he's still alive and around, is one of the best AR and Garand/M1A smiths going.  I haven't seen him in a few years, though.

Bob's in Norfolk has a good guy, Sam I believe is his name.  NOT fast, though, but very thurough and competent.

The armorer out at The Armory might be able to do what you want, too.  I've heard good and bad things about him, although I've never seen any of his work personally.

Tom  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Sammy is still here. He's alittle slow though, hell of a guy. I had to hold him hostage to finish this--

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That's the guy.  He has a great rep.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I, personally can't stand the A+P in virginia beach. The one in hampton roads is much better. I do, however, have a membership at the outdoor range from A+P(that place isnt bad. But for customer service, A+P is the pits. They had $1400, of my buddies, for an M4 modular carbine and they gave him a serious runaround.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#10]
The new 'smith at A&P is pretty arrogant.  I overheard some employees there even talking about how he's out of touch.  I suppose that the fastidiousness required for gunsmithing will make a person anal retentive, but customer service still counts.  Guys in the gun industry get to play with guns all day and SHOULD have a better attitude about their job.  The A&P guys in hampton are always easier to deal with, but they have better hours and no gun range to co-manage....
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#11]
So you overheard part of a conversation and could have taken everything out of context.  And based on that you say the new gunsmith is arrogant.  That's a pretty big leap of logic you're using to slam them.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:28:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Bill, the armorer at The Armory has quit to take another job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top