Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 4:16:24 PM EDT
I want to get my VA CHP and want to know a good place to do it for not too much $. I was thinking about shooter's paradise. I have a hunting permit from CA that I think qualifys as training but I want to learn all the VA laws concerning this before I do it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I HIGHLY recommend the class at the NRA Range. It is a two-night class, normally on a Wednesday & Thursday night. The first night is all classroom, covering basic firearms handling, cleaning, concealment options and a guest speaker on the legalities/responsability of carrying followed with a Q&A session.The second night you are one on one with an instructor on the range.
I think it's $100. Definately worth every penny.

Linky: NRA Range

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 for NRA.

G
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I HIGHLY recommend the class at the NRA Range. It is a two-night class, normally on a Wednesday & Thursday night. ...

That may have once been true, but nowadays the NRA class is generally given once a month on Monday and Tuesday evenings.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:48:26 AM EDT
[#4]
The NRA one is very good and very popular but fills us very quickly.  

The one at Shooters is very good a out half the price and easier to get in, I recommend it for people who are already proficient (as it seems you are) but just need a rundown of VA Law and require the class for CHP purposes.  For completely new to guns people I recommend the NRAs course.

Shooters has their course every Saturday and it usually starts at 11am.  Bruce and Ken are the two main instructors that usually teach it and their both very good instructors and knowledgable on the VA gun/carry laws etc.  Their number is 703-491-4867  You have to get on the list prior to the Saturday of the class.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#5]
When I took the class at Shooter's a couple years back, there was zero discussion on VA carry law, or any law for that matter.  It was a basic rundown of safety and how to load, unload revolvers and autoloaders.   Range time was a group session firing around 50 rounds, IIRC.

I was disappointed they did not discuss the laws and/or situations.  Appearantly they have altered the course as I read above posts.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#6]
The course at Central Trianing Academy is good. They are attched to Blue Ridge Arsenal.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#7]
take dhs I, defensive handgun skill I, www.fpftraining.com. this is held at beautiful marine corps base quantico on range 305. the instructor is great and you can really use what ya learn. great venue, great instruction, 2 days long, 800 rounds. when you get done, you'll know how to shoot that thing and all the legal ramifications if you do. I highly recommend it -broderick

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Along these lines, has anyone ever taken one of the classes offered at the gun show?  I am going to be in Richmond for the Showplace show and was thinking about just taking one of the classes that they offer.

I know that they are not probably going to be great, but are they at least good enough to keep me from wanting to puncture my ear drums with a pencil to escape the stupidity?

The problem for me is that I am in the middle of nowhere so there is no real convienant option and that is one of the reasons I was exploring this since I will already be there.

I can stop by Shooter's Paradise one Sunday, but that is less than ideal since I would have to make a seperate trip.  I have some time this weekend but I don't know how far ahead their courses fill up.

thanks for any info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top