Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 1:36:50 PM EDT
Looking for someone to DuraCoat (or similar finish) my AK receiver that I am working on so I can put my build together.

Let me know where you are and what it would cost.

Thanks, Rich
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Rich,
THe Duracoat website has a list of refinishers by state: www.lauerweaponry.com/refinishers.cfm.  

If you just want to have it refinished in one color, you can probably do it cheaper yourself.  I can't speak from experience, but I've read that a number of folks have said that all you need is a cheap air brush and patience.  People have reported good results from even the Harbor Freight air brushes.

There's probably some posts on the AK side of the house that might offer some good refinishing info.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Where in VA are you?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I have done 2 beautiful jobs with Brownells GunKote in a can. Just follow the directions.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Blue Ridge Arsnl - Does it and does a awsome job. However $$$$$$
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I am down in Norfolk, and it doesn't look like there is one of those professional refinishers down here.  

I did a quick Yahoo search on Brownells GunKote in a can and that looks pretty easy.  My only worry with that is :  will there be toxic fumes in my house if I use my oven , and will stuff my wife bakes have an aftertaste from the vapor smell ?

Any experience out there?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I was concerned about the oven too when I refinished a 1911 with the Brownells stuff.  Turned out I could hardly smell it.  I did spray outside and then let the parts hang inside for 30 minutes before baking.  I think the little bit of smell came from the hanging period prior to baking.  

As for the oven after the fact, I don't think it is really effected.  My wife never seemed to notice the smell or any other evidence of what I'd done, and she complains of any gun related smell, brake cleaner, Hoppes even Slip 2000.

I wouldn't use the Brownells stuff in a spray can again for a handgun, but I think it would be perfect for an AK receiver or shotgun parts.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:58:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was concerned about the oven too when I refinished a 1911 with the Brownells stuff.  Turned out I could hardly smell it.  I did spray outside and then let the parts hang inside for 30 minutes before baking.  I think the little bit of smell came from the hanging period prior to baking.  

As for the oven after the fact, I don't think it is really effected.  My wife never seemed to notice the smell or any other evidence of what I'd done, and she complains of any gun related smell, brake cleaner, Hoppes even Slip 2000.

I wouldn't use the Brownells stuff in a spray can again for a handgun, but I think it would be perfect for an AK receiver or shotgun parts.

+1 I have never had any problems.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:29:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#10]
r_rutger, i just sent you an IM, give me a call.

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top