Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 3:08:35 PM EDT
As promised I took some photos of the snow removal and none are very good but when you are moving tons of snow there is not much time for good photo ops.

A view from the cab

Godzilla AKA KW75 loader, watching others work.

Others are not even moving now.

The snow Dragons arrive.

40 MPH winds and blizzard conditions now.

Another loader about 10 feet away, you could only see by the lights where you were at and all the lights are on at the Airport.

Godzilla feeding the snow dragon

De-icing the planes

Still comming down 9 hours

Another mini Dragon

2290 tons of snow and no end in sight

Weather report Cap-tin?

Snow blowers recovering the last of it.

THE END
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#1]
awesome pics.  nothing like airports and snow.  I once had to pull over in plattsburgh during a 3-4ft. blizzard on a LI to Montreal journey.  There is NOTHING like a SAC base that's now just endless pavement covered in snow.  Looked like siberia the next day when sun came out.  Wanted to check it out more, but between teh fences and roads that even my explorer couldn't take....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it December 2nd '06 already?  Sheesh the year went fast.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#3]
please pardon the ignorance but what is a snow dragon?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#4]
LRT...

Are you an MWAA guy, or a sub-contractor for snow removal?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It is a huge snow-melting machine. This way, you do not have huge piles of snow laying around. They position them over drains on the ramp area. The snow is then dumped into them, with the water going directly into the drains.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:30:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
LRT...

Are you an MWAA guy, or a sub-contractor for snow removal?

Aero snow removal hires loaders with operators and I was one of the operators, wish I was MWAA then I could hunt on the airport.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:31:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Day Month Year, new camera and still trying to run the beast.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:48:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know...  Actually a few people like reading the date like that.  I just think its weird.  Btw, nice photos.

Here is my snow remover.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I will say that you all did an amazing job clearing Dulles.  I landed Sunday at 10pm coming back from SHOT and it was impressive how clear the airport was.
Nice Pics BTW.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know...  Actually a few people like reading the date like that.  I just think its weird.  Btw, nice photos.

Here is my snow remover.

rdwbeltfed.net/1610.jpg

Thanks!

Hey that I could use at the house after working all that time I had to go home and clean mine with a walk behind blower, all nice and mushy snow.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I will say that you all did an amazing job clearing Dulles.  I landed Sunday at 10pm coming back from SHOT and it was impressive how clear the airport was.
Nice Pics BTW.

Thanks again,

It takes a entire fleet of loaders and rear end dumps to move it off the taxi ways and ramps then MWAA does the runways.

The only reason I do it is for gun money.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#12]
You had better be carefull driving around in the AOA in low visibility, taking pictures.
If OP's doen't get you, you might fall into one of those holes everybody seems to be digging out there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a huge snow-melting machine. This way, you do not have huge piles of snow laying around. They position them over drains on the ramp area. The snow is then dumped into them, with the water going directly into the drains.

way cool.  now that you explain it i realize that the name is rather self explanatory.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:24:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You had better be carefull driving around in the AOA in low visibility, taking pictures.
If OP's doen't get you, you might fall into one of those holes everybody seems to be digging out there.

Actually every time the photos were taken we were stopped and locked down until we could see better, the other loaders we had were equipped with radios for communication.

All of us know where the Metro tunnel portals are and none where we were at, I know what you are saying about OPS since they do enforce the rules but one has to be very careful when working out on the AOA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top