Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 11:43:38 AM EDT
Take a look at what they are up to in MD AND whcih will affect you if you cross the line:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=268520&page=1

I would not try risking a trip through that state if this thing passes. Anyone want to be a test-case for whether they will honor the Federal peaceable journey laws after this becomes law?  I used to figure - "I live in VA - I could care less about any other State's laws" - and now my ability to shoot in the area is affected, participation in my sport is way down, NRA membership is down in other states (why join if guns are banned? Think there are many DC members?).  Point is:

IT MATTERS
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Take a look at what they are up to in MD AND whcih will affect you if you cross the line:

I would not try risking a trip through that state if this thing passes. Anyone want to be a test-case for whether they will honor the Federal peaceable journey laws after this becomes law?

New York state does not honor peaceable journey laws and seems to get away with it all the time.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#2]
No state can ban travel through their state.  Come June I'll be travelling through MD on the way to Ohio for Bulletfest 7.  MG's and all.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No state can ban travel through their state.  Come June I'll be travelling through MD on the way to Ohio for Bulletfest 7.  MG's and all.

Try that in NY state and see where it gets you
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are TRAVELING, then you have federal protection, thanks to King Ronnie and the FOPA '86
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:26:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are TRAVELING, then you have federal protection, thanks to King Ronnie and the FOPA '86

Yes, but you may have to pay for lots of expensive lawyers to prove it.

NYS firearms law states: "Handguns are to be transported in a locked container.. and the trip through New York MUST be continuous and uninterrupted."

The federal law is found at 18 USC 926A, and it was passed as part of the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986. There is a bunch of legislative history to show that it was intended to make use of the Supremacy Clause and the Commerce Clause to stop local governments from regulating the purely interstate transportation of firearms.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:29:41 AM EDT
[#6]
NY still doesnt think it applies to them. That is why no other state likes to deal with them, honors their permit, or exstridites anyone acused of it. I went through several states and stayed at several when I was on holiday break. The police officer that I called where I stayed in ny told me that technically even having it in ny was possession of a unregistered handgun. He then said "our laws are really messed up up here" Then I asked what did he propose that I did with it if I couldnt lock it in my trunk. He didnt say anything. So, it went in peices and when I hit PA I stopped the car, loaded it back up and strapped it back on. The kicker is that I passed about 30miles through md not realizing it, was carrying it and stopped at a rest area. The place was really weard and I was the only one there at 10pm except for one truck driver and a druggy that worked contracting there. After being approached by the truck driver my wife said she was glad I had it. I said F*** it once I realized I was in md and about 10miles from VA.

Big thing, dont do anything to get your vehicle searched and you will not have a problem. In this case riding down the road smoking a blunt would do that. I dont think anyone on here would do that but you would be surprised. Once they smell it and see it or the person says "someone did in here earlier" they have the car and can search even the trunk. However, locked boxes in the trunk still need a warrent. Why am I saying this? Well because locked firearms in the trunk are way outside the realm of any CCW laws and should be protected with the federal law.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:21:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NYS firearms law states: "Handguns are to be transported in a locked container.. and the trip through New York MUST be continuous and uninterrupted."

The federal law is found at 18 USC 926A, and it was passed as part of the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986. There is a bunch of legislative history to show that it was intended to make use of the Supremacy Clause and the Commerce Clause to stop local governments from regulating the purely interstate transportation of firearms.

And the part in blue is held to be true if you are only stopping for gas or food. If you stay overnight with a relitive or friend, you might be in trouble, but if you are just driving through, you are okay.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:56:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And the part in blue is held to be true if you are only stopping for gas or food. If you stay overnight with a relitive or friend, you might be in trouble, but if you are just driving through, you are okay.

An unscheduled layover at an airport in NYC has proven to be a problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top