BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 7:21:19 PM EDT
Check it out here (with pics too):

Sig Forum
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Flame suit on...  but with the stock and grip, it looks like something from Tapco.....
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Flame suit on...  but with the stock and grip, it looks like something from Tapco.....

+1 I wanted a SIG 550 or 552.  Screw this thing.

-Ben
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like you have to remove your trigger hand to charge the weapon... it's just another AK variant, but accurate. I'll pass.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#4]
i just saved money, not at all what I wanted or expected...maybe someone who gets one and posts a range report will change my mind
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:36:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like somebody forget to finish screwing the flash suppressor on!  

Might turn out to be interesting, but I won’t be the first person to buy one!

Don’t care for the stock.

The 30 round polymer mags definitely sound interesting - but no doubt they’ll be wildly overpriced.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:03:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like a SG 550, but then it does have the hybrid look.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:43:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's the real thing. Sorry, the 556 does not do it for me.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:16:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:40:27 AM EDT
[#9]
what a dissapointment.

EDIT:
After starring at it for about 15 straight minutes, I think its growing on me.   But I still wont be breaking down the gun shop door for one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:11:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Pass.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:24:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Can't say I'm horribly impressed...when I refresh the New Gun Fund, it'll be for another AR.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:06:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Well I'm going to need one.  I'm willing to bet that someone will offer a kit to put it back to 550 looks.  Either way its going to be a sweet shooter.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:49:10 AM EDT
[#13]
The new Magpul CTR stock and a Tango Down pistol grip will look really good on the new SIG rifle.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:54:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like an AR15 and a 551 had a bastard love child.....

I'm actually GLAD it looks like that....

Saves me money.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#15]
A little better...

needs SBR treatment.

Ahh hell!  Im starting to like it!  I guess I just needed to get over the fact that it was NOT a 551.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Ehhhhhhhh..... not quite sure what I think of that. Maybe if the price came down some, but otherwise.....
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#17]
can any of you guys P-shop it to make the bbl a little shorter and a different stock/grip combo?  (you pick)  Im just trying to see options.  Im still overall undecided.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
can any of you guys P-shop it to make the bbl a little shorter and a different stock/grip combo?  (you pick)  Im just trying to see options.  Im still overall undecided.

There you go, commando version!

Good thinking David!

Steve.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#19]
If it has the reliability of the other gas piston carbines then I would consider one. I don’t care about the looks.

If SIG can actually deliver this when they say they will then I might be inclined to buy one considering the other opinions:

POF – Same price range but the POF has had less than stellar reviews
HK416 - $2000 for an upper verses $1300 for a complete carbine
XCR – Yeah right
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks like something from Robinson Arms....
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Love the upside down flash suppressor.

Where does the empty brass eject from??
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Love the upside down flash suppressor.

Where does the empty brass eject from??

Just like an AK.  Look at the charging handle.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:39:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Having fired a 552 which recoils and climbs only slightly more than my 3 gun AR which shoots almost completely flat about like a bull barreled Ruger 10/22 just a whole lot louder.

I can say I will likely buy on of these since it'll be significant less than Lietner-Wise, HK and POF/DPMS.
The 556s furniture looks like the new SAMCO stuff.  I'd probably just change out the stock for a VLTOR.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:15:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I guess the designers at SIG neglected to read the reports from Afganistan.  A .223 fired from a 16 inch barrel just does not cut it!  The AKs and SKSs outranged them and if the Taliban were wearing very thick clothing, the .223 sometimes did not penetrate.  I will just stick to my 7.62X51 M1A, thank you very much, but no thank you!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:28:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks like a Sig upper with AR lower.

I think I'll pass.  I would much prefer to have a Fn2000.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:07:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Hell, I'll buy one, even if it looks like an eGay airsoft special.

Why?  Because I can, it's not banned, and as long as people are buying them, the more they will make, and who knows...maybe the next version will please more people.  Oh, last reason, I don't pay retail.

Wouldn't mind seeing what the inside of the lower receiver looks like...DIAS...hmmm.

I mean crap guys..when the AWB sunset we all bitched that the manufacturers just weren't delievering on new No-ban weapons, now they are starting to roll out new guns (FN, S&W, Sig, etc) and we still bitch.  Of course I bitch becuase the distributors add guns to their catalog and then don't have them in stock for over a year...like the Ps90 and FS2000, every time I call my distributor for an update on the ones I have on order....soon..soon...we are filling the orders as fast as the guns trickle in.....BS!

Have a nice day.

Steve
Hallmark Small Arms
804-986-7409
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:45:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Count me IN.

I was expecting MSRP to be around 2 grnd. Appears to be only $1200 and while not cheap, it could come in at $1000 and that's what many of us have in our ARs.

What I like:

-hammer forged barrel; who needs a Noveske?

-(hopefully) Sig legendary accuracy

-Garand Gas system. Or call it a M14 gas system. Or FN-FAL Match gas system. I think that poeple who hate gas pistons try to denigrate it by associating it with the AK (a gun hated or looked down on by many).

-re-positioned mag release. I like my AKs, but not the mag catch position.

While they could have left well enough alone with the stock, why does everyone hate AR stocks? Do we hate ARs all of a sudden? Besides, there might be hope for a supply of Sig stocks to retro-fit to these new USA made guns.  Sound expensive? How much are the AR-15 Valtor or Mag Pull stocks going for again?

As for "why AR mags?" I suppose that Sig looked at the cost of imported Sig 551 mags and the fact that they could not sell a single magazine in two of the largest markets in the USA: CA and possibly NY (don't they have some sort of mag ban??) and the possibility of future state magazine bans; the option of using AR mags will ultimately be a smart decision.  Besides, many NATO guns are not only 5.56 mm, they also use the same mags as we do. Could it be that the Sig 551 will become obsolete and the Sig 556 is the next evolutionary step?

I'm buying one for certain.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#29]

If they offer the above, but taking AR mags, I'm cool with that....

Otherwise, I'll wait.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
greent.com/photos/forumshoot/images/nicehat.jpg

If they offer the above, but taking AR mags, I'm cool with that....

Otherwise, I'll wait.

Oh HELL YEAH!

(won't hold my breath on that one though)
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#31]
That picture is from the SIG shoot we held at Shooters Paradise in Woodbridge (www.shootersparadise.com) a few weeks back.  The gun shown is a full-auto/select fire short barrel Sig 552 that is owned by Sig, Inc. and is only available for purchase by the military or law enforcement agencies exempt from the 1934 Act (i.e. allowed to purchase post 1986 production machineguns). Sig was kind enough to send company reps to the shoot & take photos, distribute promotional materials, answer questions in addition to supporting the shoot. They were tight lipped about the 556 though.  It was organised by Cliffy109, Jay LaLuz, Jime Rowe of Shooters and Helmie Ashible of I-SHOT/SERT Systems Inc.

Differences from above: The 556 will not be available in full auto.  General sales of SBR will have to be arranged through a class III dealer - if at all - and only after BATFE approval & tax stamp issuance.  Also, more popular +available magazines and option as far as the stock. Thats it.

In addition, the rifle above has a mag catch just like the old AK-47 and is just as slow/crude. The new 556 offers a mag release that duplicated the excellent AR-15/M-4.  In addition, the M-4's success is due in part to its light weight. Sig IMPROVED the old 550 by switching to the use of aero-space or aircraft grade 7075 T-6 aluminum forgings for the lower and aluminum magazines. Sig finally figured this out  43 years after Eugene Stoner did when he came out with the M16 back in 1963 or so. And yet people are knocking this new gun?!?!! Who remembers the AWB?

Again, I am in for one.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
That picture is from the SIG shoot we held at Shooters Paradise in Woodbridge (www.shootersparadise.com) a few weeks back.  The gun shown is a full-auto/select fire short barrel Sig 552 that is owned by Sig, Inc. and is only available for purchase by the military or law enforcement agencies exempt from the 1934 Act (i.e. allowed to purchase post 1986 production machineguns). Sig was kind enough to send company reps to the shoot & take photos, distribute promotional materials, answer questions in addition to supporting the shoot.

Yes.  I was there.

Differences from above: The 556 will not be available in full auto.  General sales of SBR will have to be arranged through a class III dealer - if at all - and only after BATFE approval & tax stamp issuance.  Also, more popular +available magazines and option as far as the stock. Thats it.

Yes, I'm familiar with the process.  My requirement stands.  Make the above carbine, and you'll have my sale -- and lots of others too -- I'm sure.  Or at least offer the upper configured in that fashion that mates to the 556 lower.

And yet people are knocking this new gun?!?!! Who remembers the AWB?

What part of "make the carbine pictured above" was I unclear about?  Just because a bunch of people are ghey for the new 556 doesn't mean we all are.  I like handy 5.56 carbines.  SBR's.

If I want to run around with a "long distance" pounder I'll bring out the 16" AR-10 with 155gr TAP.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Not argueing with you; just disagreeing with the 5 or so guys on page 1 of this thread and here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=268242

-who really panned this rifle before it even hits the market.  My point is: give this thing a chance, you all might like it. Seems like there is still time to make changes if there is enough feedback over on the Sigforum. My take? Sig has stepped up & I am willing to thank them for taking the risk; they seemed to be doing just fine, profit wise, without a US made rifle & they did not have to build this thing. SO I say good on them (and i am not even a Sig fan).

BTW - thanks for showing up to the Sig shoot! Its not all Sigs, but we have a shoot like that every month including next week's low light/ defensive or tactical light shoot.  We figure that if you are going to have to defend yourself with a firearm here in the US, there a decent chance it will be at night or in a darkened place (parking garage, arriving home & lights are not on; intruder, etc). SO here is a chance to shoot in the dark with only a SureFire for illumination.  Check out the details on www.shootersparadise.com

Regards,

D.C. Johnson
www.shootersparadise.com

PS we also offer USPSA, ICORE (revolver) and 3gun; the last 3 gun was also low-light. D.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Not argueing with you....

I know....I tried to convey my tone with the "".......

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Got it, BTW - I screwed up the date; looks like the low light is going to be on March 1st from 5 PM to 8 PM; here is the link to Jay's post w/ more info:

http://www.shootersparadise.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913

Hope to see everyone there who showed up for the Sig shoot. ALl others welcome too! D.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#36]

SiG really f'd this thing up...what a joke...

Wonder if they'll offer it in Rainbow Titanium too?

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Looks like a Sig upper with AR lower.

I think I'll pass.  I would much prefer to have a Fn2000.

Duh,

You just need BOTH!!!

Oh, and BTW,
somebody P-shopped it to exactly what I would want:

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#38]
One of the guys over at the shootersparadise.com quoted a gun rag test that allegedly claimed a  440 yds group that had a size of 4.88 inches from one of these.

I don't care if the gun does not win the "safe queen fashion show" ; I want this thing so I can shoot the bejeezus out of it and know that I can both light up every room in the shoot house down at blackwater AND on slow fire, drop steel targets at close to half a click if I do my part. Besides, even if the pictures are ugly, the only part of the gun I'm lookin at when the hammer drops are the sights.

Now, where can I buy one in VA & when can I pick it up?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:26:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Pic of Sig 556 @ Shot Show: http://www.gunblast.com/images/SHOT2006/Day1/DSC07792.jpg
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:05:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the update! Regards, D.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top