Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 10:49:11 PM EDT
A friend of mine owns quite a sizeable chunk of land in WV, something like 84 acres, he has always said that it is legal to shoot on private property up there, but i have no idea if this is true or not.  We have shot numerous times up there, needless to say it annoys the neighbors down the road a bit, but i would like to know if this is still on the up and up.  Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:54:32 AM EDT
[#1]
If he owns it you sure can.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#2]
As long as the bullets stay on the property and you're not slingin' lead at unreasonable hours of the morning or night ( before  9AM or after 9PM ), I really doubt the neighbors can do much about it...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, those are absolutely the the rules we set for ourselves. Luckily his property lies in a bit of a canyon, more like between a couple of rolling hills, so we have a natural backstop as the next property is over the mountainside....far over the mountainside.  Thanks alot guys.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Hijack time......

Hey GuitarGuy!  What do you play?  I'm taking Jazz guitar lessons from the professor of Jazz guitar @ VCU right now and having alot of fun.   Been playing on and off for about 25 years, decided to study Jazz for therapy after a serious illness that put me out for most of last year.  

I've down to only a few guitars now after converting most of them to AR15's, but I've held on to a 50's Tele, and a real sweet LPC.  I'm thinking of picking up a Heritage 575 Custom or maybe even a Sweet 16 if my wallet is phat enough.  I'm originally from D.C. and spent many a night hanging out where ever Danny Gatton was playing,  man I sure miss him....

Anyway

ii-V-I

Steve...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#5]
no shit man? my uncle used to play with Danny Gaton, they went to high school together, they were in sevral bands together back in the day.  My uncle is a bit of a local music hero, Andris Plavnieks, used to play in Brass Monkey, currently Cairo Fred.  Anyways im a Les Paul man myself, 2 LPC's one black and the other alpine white, i also have an explorer that could use a bit of work, Martin acoustic as well.  Have to say, in the electric department im a Gibson man thru and thru.  Oh yeah and EMG pickups are a godsend.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Where is this private property at? And can a fellow WV Arfcommer join in?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#7]
possibly, but thats not my decision to make, ill run it by my friend, and the property is in berkley springs
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I live in Shepherdstown now, just moved in from Loudoun County, and if your buddy is amenable to
letting another shooter tag along, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I can bring along the non-alcoholic drinks and the munchy stuff too as compensation!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#9]
its an option, ill check with him
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#10]
As long as it is not within 500 feet of a dwelling or 300 feet from a church or school.  Also be aware of the shooting on Sunday law.  It must be a regularly used range to shoot on Sunday.  Check with the county prosecutor to see what he/she defines as "regularly used range" as many see it differently.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Got a 110 acres in Hampshire Co. Shoot all the time. Its hard sometimes waiting til 9am or so though. Just finished putting in a 100yd range.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#12]
There is no state law that says you have to shoot after 9am.  There are no time constraints in state code as far as shooting.  If that were the case you wouldn't be able to coyote hunt, raccoon hunt or shoot crop damage deer.  Are you guys talking about Virginia or some local ordinances in WV?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Where is this private property at? And can a fellow WV Arfcommer join in?

+1
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:59:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I asked the question about WV, im not sure what answeres they gave pertain to where, im specificly refering to the hills outside berkly springs, like 45 mins outside
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#15]
What I posted above are state regs.  I've never heard of any county or city ordinances that may have time limits, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.  The county prosecutors office would know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top