Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 5:46:35 PM EDT
I have heard from the guys at Blueridge Arsenal that there is a really good gunsmith at Loudoun Guns in Leesburg that can do some work on my 3 1911s (two SAs and a Kimber).  Anybody used these guys?  I need to get ambi safeties put on all 3, and Beavertail grip safeties on both the SAs.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I have talked to their gunsmith before about some 1911 smith work and  he seems to know the basics. Personally I would look for someone a little more reputable. I mean as a whole that place is a price gouger. They have basic knowledge of things but it does not take much to know more than they do about most things. That being said, I guess you could have him do one gun then see how it goes. I don't think they are set up to refinish the frame if I recall. That could have changed though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Locally, check with Tim at Gilbert's in Springfield.  I've not dealt with him, but everybody I talk to says he is the best locally for 1911 work.  I've also had Dan Rivenbark do some work for me.  Dan is a  good guy and does nice work, although he is in Stafford.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have talked to their gunsmith before about some 1911 smith work and  he seems to know the basics. Personally I would look for someone a little more reputable. I mean as a whole that place is a price gouger. They have basic knowledge of things but it does not take much to know more than they do about most things. That being said, I guess you could have him do one gun then see how it goes. I don't think they are set up to refinish the frame if I recall. That could have changed though.

Are you talking ablut the guys at Blue Ridge or Loudoun?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, the post was about Loudoun Guns and thats what I am referring to. Virginia Arms is a great shop, nothing ever bad to say about them. Blue Ridge is more of a uniform shop and range these days than a gun store. The Loudoun gun guys are nice enough, I just find their prices too high.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Loudoun gun guys are nice enough, I just find their prices too high.

+1 on that.

Nice enough, but, as I found in my pre-Virginia Arms days, way too impressed with themselves and
their services.

They wanted $50 when I asked about doing transfers, then got all pissy when they found out that I
was going to be ordering an RRA lower from Legal Transfers. "Well, I don't know if I want to do that...
We sell Eagle lowers here, and they're just as good....."

I walked out and from then on, drove the extra couple of miles down to see Bernie & crew.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Loudoun gun guys are nice enough, I just find their prices too high.

+1 on that.

Nice enough, but, as I found in my pre-Virginia Arms days, way too impressed with themselves and
their services.

They wanted $50 when I asked about doing transfers, then got all pissy when they found out that I
was going to be ordering an RRA lower from Legal Transfers. "Well, I don't know if I want to do that...
We sell Eagle lowers here, and they're just as good....."

I walked out and from then on, drove the extra couple of miles down to see Bernie & crew.

I'm not sure who it was I spoke with at Virginia Arms in Manassas, but from our conversation, it didn't sound like they had an on-staff 'smith, so I guess I'm looking at a drive or two to Gilberts.  Thanks all!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top