Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2006 1:56:43 PM EDT
It looks like I'm going to be offered a job in Chantilly, VA...I understand the cost of living is a bit high. What is a good wage in the area? Any hostility to yanks? Good area to live in? What should I expect to pay in rent for a decent place?  Any problems I should be aware of? Any pros and cons needed...thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Traffic --> <-- You
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Fairfax County is mostly Yankees now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Bring your $$ with you, you're going to need it.....all of it.

It is the "Commonwealth" ya know, your wealth is common with the .Gov.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It looks like I'm going to be offered a job in Chantilly, VA...I understand the cost of living is a bit high. What is a good wage in the area? Any hostility to yanks? Good area to live in? What should I expect to pay in rent for a decent place?  Any problems I should be aware of? Any pros and cons needed...thanks

What do you do?  Then we can probably guess at a good salary.  Most people who live here are approaching 6 digit salaries and if they are married then definately 6 digits.  

Yank are ok as long as they fly the stars and bars and if not that fly the bonnie blue flag.  

Con's are no good outdoor places to shoot.  Notice I said good.  There are a few but most have limitations on full auto or crap like that.  Nearest 'good' place is 3 hrs south.  

I suggest maybe living as far out as Winchester/Front Royal and possibly commuting in.  The cost would be cheaper but the traffic could be worse.  

Welcome to VA.  Best state in the states.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#6]
it's going to be in the 70's...is that decent??
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Ya, that should get you by.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
it's going to be in the 70's...is that decent??

Oh, you can get a one bedroom condo no problem
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Move down south towards Stafford, Fredericksburg area and commute it will save you some money. An you wont have to deal with the Northern yuppies as much. No offense to the NOVA crowd but you all know what I mean.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Chantilly/Centreville area...1/2BR apartments going for $1100/1300 per month.  Can probably find condos in the mid-$200k.  Townhomes are probably upper $400k, maybe $500-600k depending on location and age.  Heard the new townhomes at the intersection of Rt. 29 and Pickwick Rd (near the 28/29 intersection) are going for $600k.

In the $70k's will probably allow you to live "comfortably" renting an apt, maybe even purchasing a condo if you have the down payment.  (comfortably meaning paying the rent and bills and still having savings and play money left over)  Maybe even buy a townhome if you have some savings and spend thrifty.

Good luck, and welcome!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top