Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 9:33:31 AM EDT
Nothing major, just something to hold a 40" tv and cable box, dvd, game system underneath.  
I was thinking a large entertainment scenter to put agains the wall but I don't want to spend more than 150$ on this.  Just need something to put everything on (or prefer 'in') and hide all teh ugly cables behind it.

Right now I have a rolling cart that's got no back and is kinda small.....

Walmart? Target?  any thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#1]
My old roommate and I built a ghetto tv stand for a 46" widescreen HD.

Went to Home Depot, picked up some cinder blocks and some wood. Then went to Walmart and got black fabric. Set the cinder blocks down, put the wood planks on top, then the black cloth. Set the TV on that. Game systems and DVD players went in a stand alone shelf/cabinet that stood to the side.

It didn't look like a beautiful custom cabinet, but it was effective and the black cloth was obscure and drew attention to where it shoulda been -- the big TV. Plus it was very cheap and fast.

Sounds like you might be looking for something more upscale, but this is a decent option that can hold you over for only a few bucks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a custom made one that is 39"w x 32"h w/ shelves on both sides that hold up to 24 vcr tapes per side, and 4 shelves on the bottom to hold anything else. If you think it might work, let me know. I don't have any way to post pics yet.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#3]
check out best buy, circuit city, value city furniture, big lots funiture, THRIFT STORES!!!

Chris
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've got a custom made one that is 39"w x 32"h w/ shelves on both sides that hold up to 24 vcr tapes per side, and 4 shelves on the bottom to hold anything else. If you think it might work, let me know. I don't have any way to post pics yet.

What in all that is holy is a 'VCR tape'?  

I'm going to walmart and target at fair oaks now to see what's up.  Of course i MAY happen to pass the ammo desk.  For my wallet's sake, I hope the 223 value packas are gone.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Ikea has a bunch of that stuff
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I feel so dirty buying ikea - the whole idea of buying from europe freaks me out, like the germans are somehow behind it.    I want my stuff made by American-labor-destroying-Chine-kids dammit!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I feel so dirty buying ikea - the whole idea of buying from europe freaks me out, like the germans are somehow behind it.    I want my stuff made by American-labor-destroying-Chine-kids dammit!

build it your damn self
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#8]
yeah in my workshop of my huuuuuge house on my acres of property.

between all teh safes and ammo in my aparmtnet, I'm lucky there's WALKING room, much less working room!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#9]
TV Stand?

Ive seen a guitar stand, and heard a rubber band, Why Ive even seen a needle wink it's eye, But I've done seen about everything when see an.............

Sorry I watched 1941 last night

ETA: Build one out of Ammo cans
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

don't worry....zeee Germans are just the middleman. The Chinese are the actual manufacturers.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

don't worry....zeee Germans are just the middleman. The Chinese are the actual manufacturers.

Germans?  I thought Ikea was the Swedish word for "Made in China".
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#12]
walmart had it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#13]
craigslist
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:22:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a decent stand at Circuit City.  The one on Columbia Pike off of King Street - right by the Borders book store.  It would hold your 40" TV no problem.

G
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#15]
+1 for IKEA.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#16]
How about some 2x12's and .50 ammo cans?--true bachelor!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
How about some 2x12's and .50 ammo cans?--true bachelor!

LOL, I have a friend who, in his first place when we got out of college, got a bitchin $1500 TV and stuck it 2 2x12's and some .50 cal ammo cans. And I thought my home theater setup was on a budget!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I can remember the milk crates!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top