Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 5:00:54 PM EDT
Well, I read the student handbook, and they 'don't allow' firearms.
So I e-mailed the NVCC police contact on the website.

Here is my e-mail:

Sgt. Mollison,

I am contacting you today because of something that I read in the student handbook regarding firearms.
The handbook states:

FIREARMS AND OTHER DANGEROUS WEAPONS
Bringing firearms and other dangerous weapons onto campus is prohibited.  It is a
violation of the rules to carry weapons or to leave them in a car parked on the campus.

The only exception applies to duly sworn Commonwealth of Virginia police officers.  While civilian-attired police officers have the authority to carry firearms, they must do so by keeping  them concealed so as not to alarm others. /Quote

Is NoVa aware that the State legislature, and the Governor signed a preemption bill that prohibits localities from making or enforcing laws that are more stringent that what the legislature passes and that the Governor signed?

The only school in Virginia that has the authority to ban firearms is VCU, as it is written in the law.

Further clarification on the rules is needed, as is an actual revision to exempt people who have permits to carry concealed firearms.

Your response is appreciated.

Hydguy

So, do I have a leg to stand on if I am CAUGHT carrying my CCH at school?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
you can only have your firearm concealed in your car and you may not leave your car...

thats what i got from reading the emails i got from the VCDL.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
you can only have your firearm concealed in your car and you may not leave your car...

That is for K-12. College is not covered by that particular law. The federal law that the state law is derived from was part of the 'Brady Bill' and was found unConstitutional at the federal level.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I think GMU has a similar policy. Been meaning to look it up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is for K-12. College is not covered by that particular law. The federal law that the state law is derived from was part of the 'Brady Bill' and was found unConstitutional at the federal level.

well then...you could try sending an email to the VCDL as they will probably be able to answer that better than anyone else...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well then...you could try sending an email to the VCDL as they will probably be able to answer that better than anyone else...

I just did that. Mr. Van Cleave e-mailed me back.

It's a grey area of the law, but they are going to try to get that changed. I'll just keep on doing what I have been....
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:58:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just did that. Mr. Van Cleave e-mailed me back.

It's a grey area of the law, but they are going to try to get that changed. I'll just keep on doing what I have been....

i emailed VCDL and got the same response

here it is for everyone else to see:

For students it is a grey area as to whether they could expel you for
carrying with a permit.  It is NOT a crime (except possibly at VCU).
As a non-student there really isn't anything that a public college or
university can do if you have a permit.  They might say you are
trespassing and ask you to leave.

VCDL is having a bill put in shortly that would fix this problem for
students and hopefully clarify it for non-students, too.  Keep an eye
on our VA-ALERTS for more info on this and what you can do to help in
the coming weeks.

Philip
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:42:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I wonder what the policy is for faculty/staff?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Concealed means concealed.

Expel me from NVCC........

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Those are campus rules governing the conduct of the students and staff and do not have the effect of law.  However, if they ask you to leave the campus, you had best do so immediately.
If I were a student, I would still carry but at the same time would be extremely careful about my concealment of my handgun.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Concealed means concealed.

Expel me from NVCC........

Yea... but I LOOK like I CCH.. 5.11 pants, boot, vest, shirt, Blackwater hat. I have that HSLD look to me

I should own stock in 5.11!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yea... but I LOOK like I CCH.. 5.11 pants, boot, vest, shirt, Blackwater hat. I have that HSLD look to me

I should own stock in 5.11!!

Maybe to a knowledgeable police officer...the non-gun-owning person "up here" isn't going to know 5.11's from Jordache.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe ODU(where I attend) has the same policy.  the issue at that point becomes that while they have no "legal" authority to keep you from carrying, they can, and probably will, expel you for violating school policy if you're caught. So it's up to you if you want to risk it, I suppose.  A clarification of the preemption law would certainly be nice for this situation.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:05:04 AM EDT
[#13]
jeez, ever thought about writing your elected reps and voicing your concerns??? that IS what they're there for, ya know!

write jeff fredericks. he's strongly pro-2a and i bet he'd be willing to bring this up if enough folks wrote him.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#14]
An elected representative's opinion, while perhaps interesting, and maybe even somewhat useful if you're on trial and challenging the interpretation of the law as your defense, is really not much use for anything else.  If you want clarification of a law, the person to talk to is the AG, who actually has the statuatory authority to interpret the law and determine what is a prosecutable offense under the law, OR you ask your representative to attempt to change the law to make it more clear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top