Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2006 3:38:37 PM EDT
.....because it's too close to DC.

Remember that NoVA is close to DC as well.  

Link to thread
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Except MD sucks and VA doesn't.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Except MD sucks and VA doesn't.

+1

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Or is it that DC is too close to MD?
......Nah I think its just that MD sucks and VA doesnt
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
.....because it's too close to DC.

Remember that NoVA is close to DC as well.  

Link to thread

And united we stand, divided we fall.

A number of responses are listed at the link provided by TallNorton.  What with cut-and-paste and Sportsman's Guide's convenient web submission form, it might make a difference to register your complaint ... asking them to remove you from their mailing list.  It's not like you can't get almost anything they sell for about the same amount of money elsewhere anyway.

It's the principal of the thing that bothers me most.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:38:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Guys - the "MD sucks" response does not help the situation.  As a MD  gun owner - I know that MD sucks - it's a super liberal state with restrictive gun laws.  If I did not have family and job here I would leave in a second.  But just like the gun owners in NJ and CA we gun owners are the minority in our states.  That does not make us the enemy.  We are just unlucky enough to live in enemy territory.  

As long as I'm here in MD, I will work hard to change things - we elected Erlich - the first republican governer since Agnew.  Who knows - maybe things will get better.  If they don't get better and things change for me personally, my family will move.  We have discussed VA and NC as possible new locations.  

Bottom line is that we MD gun owners would appreciate your support.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:01:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Well then,maybe we had ought to call SG and remind them that Va is right close to the District too

Or maybe MD and VA can cede all counties/jurisdiction close to or adjacent to DC,TO DC!(Fairfax,Montgomery,PG)
Maybe that'd solve everyone's problems,esp here,since Balt City,PG and Mont pretty much get their (liberal) way.I expect N Va's (liberal) influence will continue to grow for you all as well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Just taking a look at some of the VA folks insert their feet in their mouths.

But hey any ol' company can do the same to you since you live to close to DC.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:52:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder where all of the people in those new housing developments along I-81 are coming from.  Unless there has been a sudden increase in the birthrate in the Valley, I doubt that those places are being built for those already in the state.

Those retirees from VA, NJ and NY are finding the low tax rates very attractive and of course they have to come down and show all of those native Virginians the error of their backwards ways (I mean that rhetorically).

I lived in Staunton for 10 years and Harrisonburg for 2 and it kills me to see those Northern liberals coming down there to force their standards on everyone else.

Draw a 30 miles circle around the periimeter of DC and see how much of NoVA SG's abitrary ban includes.

This is not about MD sucks (which of course it does) and VA doesn't (which is mostly true).....it's about a business making a decision based on distance from another locality.

Remember, so goes MD, CA, NJ, NY gun legislation.....so goes the rest of the nation.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:59:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Letter sent , Pretty much said that if they dont change there policy they will get $0 from me this year instead of the $1200 in sales like they got last year. I was even bying ammo from them to give as presents last year , looks like next year all my buddies are going to be getting Georgia arms ammo .
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:21:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Who left the gate open..  where did all the MD'ers come from?

quick someone shut the gate.....
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:41:51 AM EDT
[#11]
The MD sucks, is a joke, just that... Nothing else, Lighten up.
After my first reply I sent off an Email to SG, Ive never bought anything from them anyway,But they didnt need to know that.

And if it make you feel better, NOVA sucks worse than MD.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:35:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Lighten up, Francis. It was a joke.

Next time I ordered stuff, whenever I get paid, I'd planned on saying something.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:06:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I think we should work together and take over DC.  We pretty much got them surrounded now don't we boys?  Convince the inmates er uh residents, yeah that's it residents of DC to change their gun laws.  One of the reasons I came to VA was because of the gun laws.  Nowhere is perfect.  Some places are better for one reason or another.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Email sent as if they don't change I won't be renewing my Club membership or any orders period.  I may live to close to DC at 22030.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I can't remember EVER making a post in the Maryland Hometown Forum....

Since I am in the VIRGINIA's HTF I think I will state that Maryland sucks.

That being said:

I think Sportman's Guide is wrong and I think THEY suck too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:39:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I finally slipped over there, and from their post titled 'Laurel, MD', they don't seem quite so happy with their state as they say when they are trolling our HTF.  
I wish they would keep their puppies on their porch.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The MD sucks, is a joke, just that... Nothing else, Lighten up.
After my first reply I sent off an Email to SG, Ive never bought anything from them anyway,But they didnt need to know that.

And if it make you feel better, NOVA sucks worse than MD.

Sorry....after living in VA and owning land in WV......being sentenced to this God-forsaken place for the next 14 years (wife is active duty military) leaves my sensibilities a little raw.

I'll second the NoVA part.....at least as far as the traffic goes......
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Part time WV resident here.....also spend plenty of time up at Hite Hollow with the FIL.....

Makes me feel better to vicariously breathe some fresh air by posting here
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I got an idea.How's about everyone goes back to where they were born?
I've been in MD my whole life and that's been long enough to see alot of changes,none for the better.We've been here for generations.It's the "new"folks who've moved in the last 30 or 40 years that come into someplace new,then want to make it like the place they left.If you want to do things the way you did "back home" then go the fuck back there.I suspect we have one of the highest percentages of non-natives (yes,BOTH kinds) of any state.

And how many of you are Va natives?Or just wannabees?

Don't worry boys,we're all going the sameplace.We'll just be at the bottom of the hill first.
How much longer until N Va calls all the shots for VA?Or will Tim Kaine take care of you?

By the way,I'm closer to Va than DC,being as I'm down in St Marys,just across the Potomac.And even if SG would ship to me,I'm done with them until such time as their policy is dropped.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'll second the NoVA part.....at least as far as the traffic goes......

Yeah because of all the MD and DC f-tards who drive here because we have all the good jobs here.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I got an idea.How's about everyone goes back to where they were born?

Why would I want to move into a hospital in Woodbridge??

Not only am I a Virginia native, but I am a Northern Virginia native.  I have lived within 15 miles of my birthplace and first house my entire life.  All 30 years.  I even went to college here.  In Fairfax.

From my hilltop house I can oversee the athletic fields of my high school.  I am within 2.5 miles of my parent's house, which is where I grew up from 4th grade through college.

How is THAT for NOT being a wannabe??

Hmm?

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I'll state AGAIN, since we seem to have a whole lot of Maryland resident's posting shiite in the Virginia Forum -- I don't think I have EVER found myself posting NEGATIVELY in the Maryland forum.

I would expect the same courtesy be extended to us.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Not only am I a Virginia native, but I am a Northern Virginia native.  I have lived within 15 miles of my birthplace and first house my entire life.  All 30 years.  I even went to college here.  In Fairfax.

From my hilltop house I can oversee the athletic fields of my high school.  I am within 2.5 miles of my parent's house, which is where I grew up from 4th grade through college.

How is THAT for NOT being a wannabe??

That's rare these days!

I am within 5 miles of my parent's house, which is where I grew up from 3rd grade through undergrad college.  Their old house is about 20 minutes from me, in fact every house I've lived in is within 20 minutes of here.  My kids were born in the same hospital my wife and I were born in.

We shouldn't be too hard on VA wannabes though... it's a pretty good state.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Who left the gate open..  where did all the MD'ers come from?

quick someone shut the gate.....

For people who want our help they are pretty stupid to start flinging insults our way aren't they?

I'll tell you what MDers. I'll give SG the exact same amount of business I have given them in the last 5 years until they change, which is zero. And when they change, I'll still give them zero.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Born and raised here, left for two years for college and missed it so much I came back to go to school here.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#27]
In the spirit of offering an olive branch to our MD brothers, I sent an e-mail although I have never shopped with SG.  
Remember, VA could be next.  Maybe the legal beagles will just pick another 'high risk' area.  
Just a VA 'wannabee'.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I emailed asking about Alexandria, since Im 8 miles from DC as opposed to 30 like our MD friend. $5 says they will have no problem shipping to me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:09:23 AM EDT
[#29]
No offense meant guys.Hell,I hate most Md'ers too!For that matter,I hate most everybody.
I just can do bidness with an outfit that tries to impose it's own brand of PC BS on people,no matter where.
Take care,Ye Citizens of the Commonwealth.And flip off Moran for me,when you get the chance!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:50:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Maryland doesn't suck...it just sucks to be in Maryland.  Damned shame too...it's a beautiful place...

Or maybe MD and VA can cede all counties/jurisdiction close to or adjacent to DC,TO DC!(Fairfax,Montgomery,PG)

Y'all can continue to give up whatever you want, but I'd think you'd fight to take your state back rather than surrender more of it.

BTW- you didn't get Virginia soil for DC then...and you sure as hell can't have it now...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#31]
    ST. MARYS COUNTY..Ah-yes....Amish bread and bowling pins shoots at the Naval base.   Used to be a member of the FOP.  However, those weekly trips from VA BCH to LEXPARK got to be a 3 year pain in the ass..The good old days
    Still have my first SP1 that I picked up in VA BCH in 75
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Here's their lame ass response to me.  Time to remove my name from their list.

Dear J,
Thank you for the E-mail.
We don't see any restrictions in your zip code.
The restrictions do change often.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
Enjoy the Outdoors,
Becky Barnes
Customer Service
Visit our Website at www.sportsmansguide.com  
Please retain your Customer ID Number  for order status and fast Express Internet Checkout.
Top sellers: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/section/section.asp?s=2283
SPG Email sign up: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/email/specials_form.asp
Buyers Club Sign-up: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/club/club_tour.asp
Customer Service Phone Number 1-800-882-3119
The Sportsman's Guide
411 Farwell Ave
So St Paul, MN 55075

-----Original Message-----
Date:   Saturday, January 07, 2006  11:26 AM
To:   [email protected] ([email protected])
Subject:  Ammo regulation

To whom it may concern,
It has recently been brought to my attention that you
now have an ammo restriction, thanks to your brilliant
lawyers, for areas around DC.  I live in the 22030 zip
code and want to know if this will affect any future
orders to my address.

I have been a long time customer of the Sportsman's
Guide and this action saddens me as your lawyers are
playing into the hands of the anti-gun lobby by
restricting legal ammo sales to law abiding citizens
under the pretense that it may be given or used by
individuals in the DC area.  This is utter nonsense
and the policy needs to be changed immediately or you
are going to lose a lot of customers and sales.  

Thank you for your attention in this matter.
Sincerely
J S

My reply:
Thank you for your reply.  As stated in my original email concerning the poor judgement of the lawyers to restrict ammo sales to law abiding citizens just based upopn their zipcode and the "possibility" that there may be a lawsuit, I am requesting that you remove my name from your mailing list and email notifications until this decision is reversed.

Thank you
J S
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#33]
This is the reply to the one I sent.
Dear Dxxx,

We have placed certain restrictions, on certain items listed in our catalog and our web site.
Due to the various state, county and municipal laws that exist, we are not always able to comply with each individual guideline. Not all of the restrictions are based on laws on the books, but could be a company decision based on certain concerns. Things such as whether the state law suits pending involving gun owners, recent court decisions that may effect businesses like ours. Finally it may be that the states laws are so vague that they could be interpreted unfavorably in the event a court action was ever involved, and finally as a public held company, we are obligated to safeguard our stockholder's investments.

We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Enjoy the Outdoors,

Katie Smith

Customer Service
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#34]
My email exchange:

-----Original Message-----
Date:   Saturday, January 07, 2006  07:18 PM
To:   [email protected] ([email protected])
Subject:  Question about shipping ammo

Someone mentioned that you won't ship ammo to cities near Washington DC. I live in Alexandria, VA 22301. I was planning on buying a few cases of ammo from you folks. Will I be able to recieve the shipment?

--
Jeremy

Dear Jeremy,

Please contact me back with the stock number of the ammo, and your zip code.

Enjoy the Outdoors,

Katie Smith

Customer Service

Jeremy XXX
to Sportsmans
More options  1:16 pm (28 minutes ago)
Stock Numbers are:
54049 ETA(1000 rounds of Wolf HP 7.62)
52591  ETA(1000 rounds of Wolf BTHP 5.56)

My Zip is 22301

Thanks,

Jeremy

Dear Jeremy,

You should have no problem ordering the items.

Enjoy the Outdoors,

Katie Smith

Customer Service

Jeremy XXX
to Sportsmans
More options  1:44 pm (0 minutes ago)
How is it that I live 8 miles from DC and I can order this ammo, but someone who lives 30 miles away in MD cannot because "they live too close to DC"?

Sportsmans Guide CS
to me
More options  2:30 pm (1½ hours ago)

Dear Jeremy,

You are correct. They live too close to DC.

Enjoy the Outdoors,

Katie Smith

Customer Service

Jeremy XXX
to Sportsmans
More options  4:24 pm (0 minutes ago)
I live 8 miles from DC and you say I will have no problem getting ammo. They live 30 miles away. I am closer and yet I can still get the ammo. Is it a Maryland thing?
- Show quoted text -

Sportsmans Guide CS
to me
More options  4:35 pm (2 minutes ago)

Dear Jeremy,

Yes it is.

Enjoy the Outdoors,

Katie Smith

Customer Service

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#35]
I wonder if katie smith has noticed a trend the last few days ? Or is she obivious to the problem and just thinks of them as single complaints.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#36]
updated my emails with Kate. Looks like they hate Maryland and not us Virginia folks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
updated my emails with Kate. Looks like they hate Maryland and not us Virginia folks.

Too close for comfort.
I guess they can pick their customer base and slowly go out of business.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I sent an email to the customer service department of SG,the response I got was the only two areas in MD they wont ship ammo to was I think Montgomery Co,and Annapolis due to ammo sale registration requirements.If true,I cant say as I blame them.I still have the email,I can cut and paste their response if wanted.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Hmmm was traveling home recently and didnt it didnt click that I was now traveling through md and not PA on the way home. Pa honors all 50 states CCWs in your vehicle. We stopped at a deserted rest area and I entered and came out. I was approached by a random person at nigth where there was no one at asking for directions. Kind of creaping in the whole circumstance. When I got in the car after everything sorted out I remember thinking I am glad I had my gun if I neeeded it (the wife said the same thing when I was thinking it) and remembered I was technically in MD by a mile or so and shoulda disarmed. I then realized how bad they suck. Oh well. Hope they fix your problem.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:33:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Ok here is the reply I got from them

Dear Mr. Cook,

We do not have any restrictions at this time on West Virginia which is the state on your account.  As for the web site that you provided a link to we can send ammunition to any location except for the following location, and the reasons are listed.  Montgomery County as whoever conducts business in Montgomery County is required to register with the Montgomery County Department of Police by maintaining on file with that department at all time a valid current copy of his federal ammunition dealers license.  Also regarding Maryland no ammunition can be sent to the City of Annapolis because each person engaged in the business of selling or exchanging any firearms except shotguns and air and cat rifles or ammunition shall keep a register of the name and addresses of the person purchasing any firearms, cartridges or other ammunition noting the make, caliber and date of purchase.  The register shall be open to the inspection of the police at all times, unfortunately as a company we have decided not to send ammunition to the above stated locations.

Enjoy the Outdoors,

Morgan Daisy
Customer Service

Edit,I did send them a link to the thread that was in GD,hoping maybe someone would register here and explain themselves.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:43:20 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Ok here is the reply I got from them

Dear Mr. Cook,

We do not have any restrictions at this time on West Virginia which is the state on your account.  As for the web site that you provided a link to we can send ammunition to any location except for the following location, and the reasons are listed.  Montgomery County as whoever conducts business in Montgomery County is required to register with the Montgomery County Department of Police by maintaining on file with that department at all time a valid current copy of his federal ammunition dealers license.  Also regarding Maryland no ammunition can be sent to the City of Annapolis because each person engaged in the business of selling or exchanging any firearms except shotguns and air and cat rifles or ammunition shall keep a register of the name and addresses of the person purchasing any firearms, cartridges or other ammunition noting the make, caliber and date of purchase.  The register shall be open to the inspection of the police at all times, unfortunately as a company we have decided not to send ammunition to the above stated locations.

Enjoy the Outdoors,

Morgan Daisy
Customer Service

Edit,I did send them a link to the thread that was in GD,hoping maybe someone would register here and explain themselves.

well i find that a much better explanation than just 'cause " ...they're too close to DC" which made it sound like a subjective judgement call.  too bad morgan didn't talk to katie first.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Yea,it seemed that Katie was getting tired of answering emails about thisIf anyone can verify this info,that would put to rest that SG arbitrarily declines ammo sales due to their proximity to liberal shitholes,ie DC
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Ah-HA! Montgomery county is (in part) the culprit!  While I too was bothered by the way SG handled this, I DON NOT BLAME THEM for refusing to bend over for Montgomery countyand Anapolis.

As an example,  I live in Virginia (right next to DC). I refuse to participate in MD's "reloading propellant registration program" - (they photocopy your license if you buy powder or primers.). I won't put up with it. I won't buy in MD.  SG won't sell to places where they have to participate in a crooked MD scheme. Same idea.

Conversely, we have launched an attack on SG. Looks like those efforts should have been directed at Montgomery County and Anapolis municipal governments to force THEM to change THEIR policy, not force SG to "register ammo buyers". Do you really want SG to start keeping recors on you for the use of the State Police (sounds a bit like "police state", no?).

So, lets re-direct our efforts against the real vilians here: Montgomery Cty. and Anapolis gov.s What address do we need? who do we e-mail? Is there and MD counterpart to the Virginia Citizens Defense Legue?  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#45]
No problems here with SG. I use them frequently for sporting goods and Christmas shopping. All orders placed have been sent complete from them to my door in no more than 4 days. I give them an A+ rating in the FREE State of WV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top