Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2006 2:17:06 AM EDT
 If anyone is interseted in shooting this match here's the info:  

You must email   bpsuspsa AT cox.net  for a slot.

Sunday

January 15, 2006

Signup Starts: 9:30am

Shooters Meeting: 10:30am

Start shooting: right after shooters safety meeting

This will be a USPSA Match

You must pre-register so we can

get your name on the facility

entry list.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I signed up today.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Dinger

You will have to let us know how it went.  I am envious. I just wish they could have these meets on Saturday instead of Sunday. I will still try and make some of them though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Dinger

You will have to let us know how it went.  I am envious. I just wish they could have these meets on Saturday instead of Sunday. I will still try and make some of them though.

10-4, I'm just going to take it slow and use my first match as a learning experience. I will let you guys know how it works out.

gotm4, we should meet up. I have a ton of questions.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:59:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

10-4, I'm just going to take it slow and use my first match as a learning experience. I will let you guys know how it works out.

gotm4, we should meet up. I have a ton of questions.

No problem.  IM or email and ask me whatever.  Also checkout USPSA web site to read up on the rules and equipment you might need.  www.uspsa.com/.  You probably already have everything you need.  You will probably be able to squad up with me as well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Dinger

How was the match?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#6]
The match is on the 15th of January.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it a 3 gun match? Wheres it at?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:05:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is it a 3 gun match? Wheres it at?

USPSA pistol only, at Blackwater.  The address is located at www.blackwaterusa.com
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#9]
For all you guys who are on the fence about going.
GO

If nothing but to just watch the match. I bet you shoot the next one.

To those who say I dont have the race gun set up. I shot for years with a bone stock Sig 220, 8 round mags and about $50.00 worth of Uncle MIke kydex stuff on my gun belt. You can buy everything you need at wally world for the first season.

I havent been able to shoot a match since last year due to a back problem and ITS KILLING ME. I never missed a match unless I was out of town, they are that fun.

If someone wants detailed info IM me with a phone # and I will call ya. DONT MISS THIS CHANCE TO SEE AND SHOOT WITH WORLD CLASS SHOOTER, that want to help and teach other people how to shoot a  USPSA match safely.

Blackwater Practical Shooters, member # 005
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I have been trading emails with somebody from Blackwater Practical Shooters. I'm signed up for the pistol match and the carbine side match on January 15, 2006.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#11]
U-baddog wrote:  "For all you guys who are on the fence about going. GO If nothing but to just watch the match. I bet you shoot the next one.To those who say I dont have the race gun set up. I shot for years with a bone stock Sig 220, 8 round mags and about $50.00 worth of Uncle MIke kydex stuff on my gun belt. You can buy everything you need at wally world for the first season. I havent been able to shoot a match since last year due to a back problem and ITS KILLING ME. I never missed a match unless I was out of town, they are that fun. If someone wants detailed info IM me with a phone # and I will call ya. DONT MISS THIS CHANCE TO SEE AND SHOOT WITH WORLD CLASS SHOOTER, that want to help and teach other people how to shoot a USPSA match safely.Blackwater Practical Shooters, member # 005
__________________________________________________________________________-

You talked me into it and not just to watch.  I e-mailed the Blackwater contact & received a "roger that" so it looks like my slot has been secured.  This is my first shoot at Blackwater so I am not quite sure what to expect.  I'm just taking plenty of 9mm ammo and an old bone stock CZ & nothing special this time just to see how it goes.  It is going to be a long drive. But since its Blackwater, I am sure its gonna be worth the trip. I might also take a small digital camera and I think if I just stick to pics of me & friends shooting, it will be OK (heck -it ain't exactly Area51). Will try to post an after action report for this shoot once it happens.

CBR
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ooops, I don't know why I kept focusing on this past Sunday as the date.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

(tagged for AAR)

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm just going to shoot my bone stock G19 and LMT 14.5" M4 that has some accessories. I've checked the rulebook and I don't see any rules against any of my AR accessories; Redi-mag, S&B scope, vert grip, etc. I would love to shoot a 1911, but it seems these matches emphasize 9mm so I will go with the flow at least for my first few matches. After that I would like to shoot a 1911.

I’m not interested in race guns in the least. I’m interested solely in the extra trigger time shooting on the move, using cover, and with the added stress of competition. Plus it's another opportunity to hit the awesome Blackwater ranges. Training like this is tough to do at my local ranges without getting into trouble. It seems like I'm always on the Lafayette gun club bad boy list. Pungo is the best and it has its drawbacks also.

I'm just going to take this match slow & safe and learn the ropes.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(tagged for AAR)

I'm going to change it back.

I've received about ten IM's from guys I've never even heard of that like my old one better.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You talked me into it and not just to watch.  I e-mailed the Blackwater contact & received a "roger that" so it looks like my slot has been secured.  This is my first shoot at Blackwater so I am not quite sure what to expect.  I'm just taking plenty of 9mm ammo and an old bone stock CZ & nothing special this time just to see how it goes.  It is going to be a long drive. But since its Blackwater, I am sure its gonna be worth the trip. I might also take a small digital camera and I think if I just stick to pics of me & friends shooting, it will be OK (heck -it ain't exactly Area51). Will try to post an after action report for this shoot once it happens.
CBR

I would bring the pistol you are most comfortable with and have 4 mags. You should see at least one other old CZ there. Plenty of ammo is 250 rounds. If you regret going I will buy all the beer when we meet . If you enjoy yourself you buy me ONE beer.

Originally Posted By Va_Dinger
I'm just going to shoot my bone stock G19 and LMT 14.5" M4 that has some accessories. I've checked the rulebook and I don't see any rules against any of my AR accessories; Redi-mag, S&B scope, vert grip, etc. I would love to shoot a 1911, but it seems these matches emphasize 9mm so I will go with the flow at least for my first few matches. After that I would like to shoot a 1911.

I’m not interested in race guns in the least. I’m interested solely in the extra trigger time shooting on the move, using cover, and with the added stress of competition. Plus it's another opportunity to hit the awesome Blackwater ranges. Training like this is tough to do at my local ranges without getting into trouble. It seems like I'm always on the Lafayette gun club bad boy list. Pungo is the best and it has its drawbacks also.

I'm just going to take this match slow & safe and learn the ropes.

Slow is the perfect way to look at the first match.

There will be more people shooting 1911 types than anything else. Shoot what you are most comfortable with. You cant go wrong with either.

Be prepared to be able to carry 2 mags on your belt if highcaps with one in the gun. If 1911 8 roundrs you may need 4 on your belt with a 5th in the gun.

I keep my gun mag in my pocket and keep 3 on my belt.

Unless they are having a carbine/shotgun side match no long guns will be used.

IM me a phone # and I will call if anyone has questions.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Bring plenty of ammo, I usually take 300 rounds just to be safe. There IS a carbine side match, it is a side match, and not a requirement for the match. (what am I saying....ar15.com)

Also somebody said something about favoring 9mm, thats not really true. You get less points scored for 9mm (which is a minor cal). It really depends on what division you shoot. If you shoot minor production you can only load 10 in your mag, if you shoot limited you can fully load, and major calibers are predominate there.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
IM me a phone # and I will call if anyone has questions.

IM and email sent.

I have a ton of questions.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll be there.  I'm driving a gray Ford Explorer (late model) and wearing our dark blue VA Arms polo (our work shirts).  There will be two of us shooting wearing these shirts, I'm shooting another co-workers custom STI in Limited.  Hopefully the winds won't be too bad.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:48:07 AM EDT
[#20]
OK, who wienied out?? 17 degrees.........hmmmm
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Tag for AAR.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I went and thought it was a great experience. Damn cold though, my toes are still thawing out. Luckily I decided to wear long underwear at the last second. A fleece jacket and t-shirt would not have been enough on a day like today. The Blackwater Practical Shooters are a great bunch of guys and they put on one hell of a match. I had a great time and meet allot of good people. These matches are also great training. The stress of competition cannot be duplicated just shooting at the range. They were also great about keeping the different stages realistic with their use of cover and tact reloads. I took this match slow and easy just trying to learn the ropes. I now feel prepared after one match to try and shoot for competition next time. My real goal for the day was achieved, to get some trigger time with added stress and movement. That was accomplished and I had a great time doing it.

I shot a box stock G19 and my LMT M4 with zero problems. I love my G19, but from now on it’s back to 1911’s. I shot my Glock today just to be safe about the rules, but as others have already stated the new “Single Stack” class makes shooting a 1911 easy.

I will never miss another one of these matches if I can possibly make it. I think my crap work schedule is becoming legendary by now.

Great match, and my hats off to the Blackwater Practical Shooters. Now I just need to join them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Dinger

What kind of holster did you use?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Dinger

I used this Blade-Tech belt holster in OD:

www.blade-tech.com/product.php?productid=871&cat=257&page=1

I picked it up used off the EE about six months ago.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dinger

I used this Blade-Tech belt holster in OD:

www.blade-tech.com/product.php?productid=871&cat=257&page=1

I picked it up used off the EE about six months ago.

That's a good looking holster, did you have any problems with it retaining the pistol?  Did you use some type of Kydex magazine holder?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I went and thought it was a great experience.

Great match, and my hats off to the Blackwater Practical Shooters. Now I just need to join them.

Were you on my squad?  There were some new to competition shooters on my squad and I recall someone shooting a G19.

Here's a few pics of me today at BW.

Here's some friends that were on my squad

Luis and me (Luis is a former Marine and former Shooters Paradise employee, he now works for BW as an instructor for their vehicle operations courses/PSD stuff)

Douglas (of Shooters Paradise)

Brett (of VA Arms)

Doug, Brett and Russell

Russell

Pat

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Were you on my squad?  There were some new to competition shooters on my squad and I recall someone shooting a G19.

No, I was not in your squad. Actually I'm not sure what my squad number was, but we started in the shoot house stage and ended the day on range #2. After looking over your photos I do remember seeing you at sign-up though.

Great photos by the way.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:00:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Pictures by 9x19?

Great job!

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:26:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Great day & thanks to GotM4 & the Mrs. for the photographs to remember it by. I am the tall skinny guy in the faded green shirt or black fleece in the pics (Douglas).  Had a good time meeting some new folks on our squad & also shooting with old friends at a new (to me) venue. Blackwater is a very cool facility with a lot to offer; you owe it to yourself to check out the next shoot.

As good as the shoot was, my actual shooting left a little to be desired (ran right past one of the long range steel plates on the rifle stage & flubbed a pistol stage as a result of not reading the stage description carefully; both dumb mistakes).  On the up side, my guns ran 100% and the rifle performed perfectly at long range; a little about the guns I used:

Pistol: CZ SP-01 w/ factory match hammer & triggerjob; Atlanta Arms 147 grn JHP or reloaded equivalent. Blade Tech holster that I managed to break & then fix (thanks Pat & Robb); CR Speed belt; Safariland magholders.

Rifle: RRA mid-length 16" SS barrel w/ Bushy Mini Y comp; RRA bolt & generic carrier; Old Model 1 Sales upper; Tapco riser w/ Weaver Classic 1-3X20 scope in Weaver rings; even older Oly lower (1992?) w/ RRA internals and JP springs; Pro-Mag 40 round mag (had to buy 3 to find one reliable mag) and Federal AE 55 grn boat-tail.  There was WAY too much bounce through the scope & its clear that the mini Y comp is not cutting the recoil enough for rapid fire; I think a Cooley or TTI comp is what I need.

GotM4 - thanks again for posting the pic.s Everyone else, see you at the next shoot.    

-to the guy on our squad with the bushmaster polymer AR - thanks for letting me check out that rifle; I am impressed not only with the light weight but also with how well it ran and how accurate it was.  I also liked the fact that the Bushmaster lower allows a choice of different stock and pistol grip.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:36:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Pictures by 9x19?

Great job!

Yes, Thanks.  BTW I got your Volq. extractor for your Ruger, so anytime you want can install if for you.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:11:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
That's a good looking holster, did you have any problems with it retaining the pistol?  Did you use some type of Kydex magazine holder?

No, the holster worked like a champ. It has a tension screw that you can adjust, and M4arc and I adjusted it fairly tight.

I used a Blade-Tech double mag holder, and two singles that I had to barrow. Three mags were not enough for most of the stages in the production division because you could only load your mags to ten rounds. I assume they are trying to force reloads.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Glad you guys had fun.  Safe fun and a great bunch of guys that the Blackwater shooter.
Joining the club is cheap and pays for itself in match discounts pretty fast.

Please give some details on what you liked and didnt like or what could have been done better I will pass the info along.

Baddog, Blackwater Practical shooters : Member #5
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:21:22 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Glad you guys had fun.  Safe fun and a great bunch of guys that the Blackwater shooter.

Please give some details on what you liked and didnt like or what could have been done better I will pass the info along.

It was great.  Terry (I think is his name) said that they couldn't set up everthing that was planned because of the very high winds.  It was still a TON OF FUN!, the shoothouse was awesome.  I hope I get to shoot in there with my 11.5 SBR during the Carbine Operators course in May.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Pictures by 9x19?

Great job!

Yes.  Thanks, always good to hear from the expert!

It was fun, even though I was freezing.  I am glad that I didn't choose this match to try my hand at a USPSA match.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:52:50 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was great.  Terry (I think is his name) said that they couldn't set up everthing that was planned because of the very high winds.  It was still a TON OF FUN!, the shoothouse was awesome.  I hope I get to shoot in there with my 11.5 SBR during the Carbine Operators course in May.

Terry top dog (Prez) in the club. He gave up being in the top % of shooters at every match to be President of the club. Its hard to shoot a great match and do all the work the he does to run the match.

Wait till we have BOTH shoot houses up and running in one match.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#36]
I was in Terry's squad, and can vouch for him being a great guy. He is also one hell of a shooter; I was very impressed with his abilities. He gave me some great advice on shooting the different stages and his jokes were damn funny.

Based on the horrible weather and high winds I think they did a great job in setting up the various stages. I honestly do not see how they could have done better. The shoot house stage was a blast. No question in my mind that it was the best stage by far.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pictures by 9x19?

Great job!

It was fun, even though I was freezing.  I am glad that I didn't choose this match to try my hand at a USPSA match.  

I'll come out and take pictures at the next one so you can shoot!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pictures by 9x19?

Great job!

I'll come out and take pictures at the next one so you can shoot!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks to gotM4 for dragging me along to my second ever match. That's me in the last 2 pics. I considered myself lucky to be shooting alongside some extremely good shooters. It was a great time despite the cold and windy weather. I had a lot of firsts on Sunday. Shooting steel was alot of fun and it was the first time for alot of us in a live fire shoothouse. Very very cool. First time doing so much moving and shooting. It was a great experience.

As far as equipment goes,  I ran my trusty Kimber Warrior and it ran without a hitch all day. For the rifle stage I broke out my Ken Elmore built Colt. No problems there either.

Like Douglas, I think my shooting could have been better. I also forgot about a piece of steel on the rifle stage and while I don't think I botched any stages, I think I could have performed much better. Next time, I will. (That's for you Brett)

Thanks to Bonnie for taking all of the pics and a big thanks to the Blackwater folks for putting on such a nice event. We'll be back!

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:45:10 AM EDT
[#40]
The matches only get better as the weather gets better.

Running and gunning

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top