Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 5:44:37 PM EDT
This was in another thread:

At the Va. Beach Gun Show last weekend, a group was advertising a new range in Wakefield, near the airport there. It's off of Rt 460, about one hour from Richmond. That may be an option for folks on the Southside of the James River. They apparently have a a pistol and rifle range and will have a trap/skeet setup soon.

I didn't check it out any closer because we have one here in Suffolk that goes out to 200 meters.

Regards,

Zip

I checked the range listing thread and did not see a range listed in Suffolk. Help us out with more information on the range Zip. Please
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I checked the range listing thread and did not see a range listed in Suffolk. Help us out with more information on the range Zip. Please

The Nansemond Suffolk Shooting Club operates a private range in Suffolk that has target berms at several intervals out to 200 meters. It has a pavilion with eight firing positions, three of them benched.

Club membership is limited to 55 people, currently there are five open positions though there may be  folks vying for those positions. Membership requires five range visits where members sign off on a sheet covering all the range and safety rules. They have monthly NRA smallbore matches. It's a nice range, a little tricky to get membership, but worth the effort. Very nice folks as long as you obey the rules.

It's listed on the NRA range website, but not on AR15.com.  Please don't add it to AR15.com.
NRA Virginia List of Ranges

It's a pretty low key place, often no one is there when I go. If you contact the secretary, say you heard about it from the NRA website or I'll get spanked. hock.gif

The furthest berm visible in this pic is the 200 yard one (white board past the big 100m berm).

http://www.pinn.net/~tuckahoe/files3/nssc-range.jpg

I've heard some talk about another range being built in Suffolk, further west.

Regards,

Zip

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:23:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the range information.

Since you requested it not be added to the range list, I know VA-gunnut will honor the request.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:58:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Since you requested it not be added to the range list, I know VA-gunnut will honor the request.

Cool... It's not that the club is not welcoming to new members, I think they just don't want to get swamped with applications given the limited number of openings. So they keep things low key.  
There are several AR owners in the club, the main restriction is that  full auto fire or full auto three round bursts are not allowed.

Regards,

Zip
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#4]
do they have small bore silhouette matches there?
i went to a range in that area about 10 years (or more) ago with a few guys to watch a match
(was thinking about starting that before i got the high-power bug)

IIRC it was an few miles west of the airport, on the opposite side of 460

very nice set up,

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:39:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
do they have small bore silhouette matches there?
i went to a range in that area about 10 years (or more) ago with a few guys to watch a match
(was thinking about starting that before i got the high-power bug)

Yes they do. It's located between Rt 460 and Rt 58 (Bus). The Yahoo map on the NRA range site is way off. The silhouette matches are typically the first Sunday of the month although this month they're on the 8th.

Zip
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:47:17 AM EDT
[#6]
here is a link to one of the gentlemen working on this.

http://www.uzitalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16156

enjoy,
Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top