Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 12:20:53 PM EDT
as yall know i got my first deer and would like some recipes that will be delicious enough for frtloop to eat it also.

any recipes, links to recipes, anything would help.

thanks guys
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a food grinder, such as an attachment to a Kitchen Aid machine, to make ground venison?  A food processor might work too.

My Venison Burgers

I've had alot of success adding 10% - 20% pork fat to my venison while putting it through the grinder. I think I have the proportions correctly:

4-5 lbs. venison
1 lbs. pork fat

Grind together.  I use an attachment to my Kitchen Aid mixer to grind up my meat.  When everything is put through the grinder, stir it a few times with a spoon to make sure the fat is evenly mixed.  Form into patties seperated with small sheets of wax paper and freeze.

If you want to jazz up your venison burgers:
(1) add one packet of dried French Onion soup mix to the ground Venison, and
(2) hit the mix with Lee & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce.

300 More recipes here.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
curious...

if venison is lean and thats a good thing, why add pork fat to it??

i know absolutely nothing about cooking venison or anything like that, thats why i ask.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Put a roast in the crockpot along with a can of cream of mushroom soup, add carrots and taters. Start it in the mornin' and let it cook all day on low. By supper time your'e ready for some good eatin'.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
curious...

i know absolutely nothing about cooking venison or anything like that, thats why i ask.

IMHO the fat adds a binder to the meat and flavor, it will be very dry if you cook it done as needed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#5]
chunk-o-deer meat
1/2 onion
1 beer
1 bottle good BBQ sauce,,,not the cheap crap
water to cover if needed
all in a crock pot all day

mince it up if it doesn't fall apart (I discard the juice left over)
add bun/slaw/ and more sauce

eat with more good beer (Guiness or Yuengling preffered)

enjoy!!!

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're looking for something simple, try frying some steaks with a little butter.  Add salt and pepper when it is almost done.  Make sure not to over cook it, a little pink on the inside is a good thing.

Or substitute season salt for the salt and pepper.

Grilled with any of the above seasonings is good too.  Again, don't over cook it.

Roasts are also good as mentioned above.  You can also take a good beef roast recipe and use venison.  

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
curious...

IMHO the fat adds a binder to the meat and flavor, it will be very dry if you cook it done as needed.

you can use beef fat if you prefer,
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
curious...

+1 I ALWAYS add some kind of fat to my venison.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Tastiest thing at the hunt club is fried tenderloin....

Slice your loin into little medallions, about a quarter in thick or LESS.
Cover the bottom of a frying pan with vegetable oil...about 1/4 inch deep...
In a ziplock, put some flour, salt and pepper to season...
Pour a bit of milk in a bowl.
Dip the slices of loin in the milk, just enough to get it wet...
Toss the medallions around in the flour concoction...
Fry in vegetable oil on one side, for about 2-3 minutes....
Turn heat down a bit (not too much) and turn the slices over...fry until you cut one open and it's not too red for you...
Let cool and devour....AWESOME!

OR

Take the two front shoulders....put them whole in a crock pot full, covered with water...
Cook all day until meat falls off the bone.
Drain the water....
Add the frozen vegetable soup mixes (potatoes, carrots, corn, peas, etc)
Add a little season salt...
Great stew.

Jay
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
curious...

you can use beef fat if you prefer,

True, very true!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:37:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I ususally take the backstrap meat and cut it into steak size chunks and rub in a mix of Cajun spices on it and put them on the grill.

A lot of the meat from the hind quarters usually finds its way into what I call "frying steak"  What I do is cut thin peices of meat that are about the size of a chicken patty and take a meat tenderizer and pound it until it  is very then, I roll it in flour and fry it on the stove top.  Works well with eggs in the morning and mashed potatos at night.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:05:10 AM EDT
[#12]
The trick to venison, as with any lean meat, is long, low, wet heat.  If you treat it like beef you will be disappointed.

Stuffed Venison Tenderloin

Stuffing:
Four or five slices of bacon
1/4 cup each diced onion, carrots, & celery
Bread Crumbs or Corn Meal
Pepper (to taste)
Garlic powder (to taste)

Fry all but one slices of bacon.  Set aside to drain & cool.

Add onion, carrots, & celery to bacon grease in pan.  Fry until veggies are soft.  Allow to cool.

Crush bacon & return pieces to pan.  Add enough bread crumbs or corn meal to make a nice "binder" for the other ingredients.  I don't measure here, just eyeball it.  If I had to guess, I'd say 1/3 to 1/2 cup.

Slice tenderloin almost in half, lengthwise (like you would a baked potato before loading it up).  Fill with stuffing.  Run the remaining slice of raw bacon down the top of the stuffing.

Cook covered in a casserole dish at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes, depending on thickness of the tenderloin.

I served two of these at my company's pot-luck Christmas Party a few weeks ago.  It was the first dish to run out.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#13]
chunk it up and fry it in italian dressing dont cook it to long or do the same on the grill wraped in tin foil with italian dressing and onions. killer good and easy as hell my rug rats loved it there old enough to make their own and still love it. just want to add its good to get the  kids in to eating game at a young age they will love the food and the way we  hunt it and understand what god intended people to do for food and pass it down to their kids just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
chunk it up and fry it in italian dressing dont cook it to long or do the same on the grill wraped in tin foil with italian dressing and onions. killer good and easy as hell my rug rats loved it there old enough to make their own and still love it. just want to add its good to get the  kids in to eating game at a young age they will love the food and the way we  hunt it and understand what god intended people to do for food and pass it down to their kids just my 2 cents

being raised by a single mother i wasnt privy to most things yall were growing up.

i will definetly be teaching my kids how to hunt and fish and everything else i missed growing up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:02:36 AM EDT
[#15]
went and picked up the deer meat today...i would say around 45lbs...give or take a little, i dont have a scale to measure it on.

cant wait to start digging into it, ive got all the recipes on here printed off so we'll see how it goes.

thanks to everyone who provided some recipe or other advice.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:16:59 AM EDT
[#16]
+1 on the fat.
Side meat or regular bacon wrapping,as with a fillet mignon, also works well.

We add fat because the taste of what little venison fat exists seem terrible to most who are accustomed to corn fed beef and pork. Since I butcher my own (and butcher is a good word for what I accomplish), I also have some silver connective tissue in my meat. This also creates an unpleasant flavor that is best masked with other fats.

I grind most of my venison roasts into burger mixed with excess pork fat trimmed from hams or other recently cooked meats,etc. Adding pork sausage such as Gunnoes also works well when grinding meat for patties,chili,stroganoff,etc.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:44:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Here's a couple of my favorite:

Marinate the tenderloin in Greek salad dressing for about a day.  Then, grill it.  Leave it pink in the middle.  Serve with Greek salad (onion, green and red peppers soaked in dressing with feta cheese crumbled on top) and steamed white rice.  Its really good if you stuff everything into a pita and eat it like a sandwich.

Other things to do are to buy powdered fajita mix and substitute cuts of the steak for the beef or chicken.  The gound also makes a great chili base.  No need for extra fat in any of these.

The Greek one will almost certainly become your favorite.  Its fast, easy and you can't screw it up.  The taste is out of this world.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#18]
well...had some tenderloin tonight...it was delicious.

frtloop marinated the meat overnight in some soy sauce mixture with other stuff...cant remember everything.

very different than i was expecting...wasnt expecting it to be like this at all.  very, very good
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
well...had some tenderloin tonight...it was delicious.

frtloop marinated the meat overnight in some soy sauce mixture with other stuff...cant remember everything.

very different than i was expecting...wasnt expecting it to be like this at all.  very, very good

That's it you are hooked.  Now you will be hunting to keep the freezer full until the next season.  Better plan on an additional freezer if you don't all ready have one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I marinated the meat in soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, onion, and crushed red pepper flakes.

I was suprised at how it turned out.  Honestly, when I was making it, my stomach was starting to turn.  But Afplayboy made me taste it...and it was really good.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Deer meat puts hair on yer chest!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top