Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 5:02:04 PM EDT
Anyone know what happened to the vote which was postponed till around 12/20?  I couldn't attend and would like to know what happened.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Vote was postponed again until sometime in January.  It might be by mail-in ballot.  The President of the Board Ernie Padgette, Vice-President Tom Caurila, and the attorney from the Frederick, PA Chapter took up so much time we did not get a chance to vote.  In fact, the American Legion Post threw us out at 11:00 PM because the meeting was still going on, it was supposed to end at 10:30 PM.

From the attitude of the members at the meeting and from what I have heard about the proxy count, the board does not have the votes to approve the transfer of the property.  This could be why they dragged out their presentations so they would not loose the vote.

Be sure to renew your membership before 12/31/05 or you may not be able to vote from what I hear.  This whole thing has a very bad odor to it and I am opposed to the transfer.  If you would like more information about what went on I can e-mail to you allot of interesting documents and comments.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag.

I proxied a "no" vote and was curious as to what happend.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi NovaHokie9,

If you e-mail me, I will forward some of the information I have.

Tommo
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Speaking as screaming "no" voter.

My two questions are who voted to pay $60,000 to a bunch of lawyers to cook up this scam and when did the board vote to deed the land to themselves?  Its one thing for the board members to try and take control of the land, it is quite another for us to have to pay for them to try and take over the land, let alone to go ahead and just give themselves the land.

The first vote should have been on the $60.000.  Then, there would not be a problem now.

My instincts tell me that the lawyer who talked during the meeting probably got his fair share of the $60,000.

I think a real estate developer is behind the whole thing to get the land.  How else does this make sense?

I wish the board would teach us ingreats a lesson and resign en masse.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#5]
They want to shut down yet another range!?!?! And this scheme perpetrated by fellow gun owners - that just takes the cake. Perhaps the membership should hire its own lawyer & seek an injuction against the sale.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Some of us 'no voters' are working on what to do.  If you are interested in helping contact:

Colin Riley at, [email protected]

Vijay Virk at, [email protected]

As to the money for the attorneys, the board voted for it in the Chapter's Budget, from what I have heard.  Also, wishing will not get rid of the board or stop them from destroying the chapter, taking action with other 'no voting' members hopefully will.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Be sure to renew your membership as soon as possible and to confirm that it has been renewed.  There are rumors the board may delay membership renewals they suspect will vote no.  Also, be sure to attend the January membership meeting just in case there is a vote on the property transfer.  Do not be fooled by a mail-in ballot, it might be illegal.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I have heard that Ernie Padgette, president of the board, announced the property transfer has been cancelled at the board meeting Tuesday, January 1st 2006.  Still there are questions that need to be answered.  What is the status of the deeds of the properties and how much money has been wasted in attorney's fees on this ill advised fiasco!  It is extremely important to attend the membership on Tuesday, January 17th 2006.  Be sure to attend it!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have heard that Ernie Padgette, president of the board, announced the property transfer has been cancelled at the board meeting Tuesday, January 1st 2006.  Still there are questions that need to be answered.  What is the status of the deeds of the properties and how much money has been wasted in attorney's fees on this ill advised fiasco!  It is extremely important to attend the membership on Tuesday, January 17th 2006.  Be sure to attend it!

Interesting.  Those meetings are typically at 7, correct?  (sorry- I don't have my handbook with me at work)
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, 7:00 PM at the chapter field house.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Remember to attend the member's meeting on Tuesday, January 17th, 7:00PM at the Chapter Field House!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#12]
What would happen if more people attend then the club house can handle?  It isn't too large...  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#13]
That happened at the November 15th meeting.  It was postponed until the December 18th meeting which was held at the American Legion Post in Manassas.  Not sure what they would do this time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:58:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Membership meeting tonight, Tuesday, 01/17/06 at 7:00 PM, at the Chapter Field House, be sure to attend!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:42:11 AM EDT
[#15]
btt
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Well folks it was another great time at the chapter's monthly membership meeting.  It started off with a member of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors giving us an hour plus lecture and answering questions about how the county is trying to handle development and traffic control!  Then we go into the land transfer, another warm hearted and joyous session about how the board is really looking out for the chapter members' interest.  Here are some of the highlights of the discourse:

Pres Ernie said the land transfer is withdrawn but due to board trying to protect the chapter's land with this transfer attempt, it has stopped the National IWLA from suing 5 chapters to stop them from withdrawing from the IWLA.  Yes, our chapter's board are real heros, I could not agree more of course!

Colin Riley made a motion to get copies of all records dealing with the expenses involved with the land transfer including attorney's fees.  Ernie said he did not need to make a motion to get copies, but after much discussion we voted on it anyway and it was approved.
Ernie admitted the board has spent $100,000 on the attorney's fees so far.

Then Vijay Virk asked about the deeds and what happened to ones signed by the Ernie and Vice-Pres Tom Cirula.  Ernie said they were not valid because the members did not vote to approve them.  This discussion then went on for a while.  Vijay said allot of the problems  resulted from the secrecy which has caused much distrust of the board by many of the members.  Ernie said due to the board's fear of the National IWLA trying to stop the transfer, the board thought it best to keep everything secret until the last month before the vote.  He said sometimes secrecy is necessary.  Vijay replied the proof is in the pudding, all the board did has resulted in allot of mistrust in the chapter.

When asked about the status of the Virginia Sportsman's Association (VSA), Ernie said it is still active.  The questions about its staus should be directed to the President Tom Cirula.  If the land transfer is withdrawn, what use is the VSA?  Very curious to say the least!

I tried to make a motion to get copies of all correspondence between the board and the attorneys involving the land transfer.  Ernie said a motion to adjorn had already been made, but I only needed to ask for copies of the corrrespondence.  When I talked to Ernie after the meeting and asked for all letters, memos and e-mails between the board and the attorneys, Ernie got a bit flustered and said the e-mails were his personal property, he would not give them to me and told me I was an a--hole!  Of course after carefully pondering this comment on my character for a microsecond my reply was, I thought he was an a--hole too.  Then said he was only joking, so I replied me too.  Gee, I wonder what is in the e-mails that Ernie does not want me and the other members to see?  And to get to so snippy about it, maybe he was just having a bad meeting.  Bucky Sills said he would provide me with everything.

Though more was said than what I have written above, it would probably take me a couple hours to try and put it in to this thread.  However, it is easy to see a great time was had by all!  Just a shame more members were not there to enjoy the show, oh well there is always next month.  Hope to see you there, if not stay tuned.  I think there is allot more to this heroic attempt by the board to save the chapter from the evil machinations of the National IWLA and hopefully we can find out some of the details.  What is that old saying, "the devil is in the details"?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:21:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Excellent report!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
 What is that old saying, "the devil is in the details"?

Or " The road to Hell is paved with good intentions"
Glad it worked out for now, please keep us posted.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Excellent report!

+1
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I do not think any 'good intentions' are involved here.  I agree with Astrafire, there is a land developer lurking behind this.  The member of the Faifax County Board of Supervisors who was at the meeeting stated the Chapter's property is the only large undeveloped property left in the county.  The board was out to steal the chapter's property despite what they say about protecting the property from IWLA National!

Also, they wasted $100,000 of the chapter's funds on attorney's fees!  Ernie stated the budget will be very tight this year because of it.  They must be held accountable for this mess.  We must not just roll over and go back to sleep again!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like 'ol Ernie needs to be voted out, and anyone else associated with the sale/lawyer fees.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Glad I dont have to deal with that mess. My IWLA in stafford is a bunchof old rednecks that would never let that go down. And it does sound like a land grab situation in the making buy a developer. I smell kick backs and bribes. Can you impeach the president of your chapter? If so I would try that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#23]
We will have to see what the membership wants to do, hopefully they will want to be rid of this pack of jackels!  And I do mean the whole pack, Ernie stated at Tuesday's meeting that the board was unanimous in voting for the transfer and in keeping it secret from the members for a year!  He said proudly, it was the first time the board was unanimous in voting for anything.  Now that is what I call a clue as to their moral character.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top