Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2005 1:33:33 PM EDT
I'm thinking of moving to Charles City County next summer.  Anybody live there have any comments?  

Anybody have any advice on where to buy a house on a patch of land where I can have my own 25m rifle range in the backyard?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if a rifle range in the backyard would be allowed in Charles City, but the Chickahominy WMA has a 15,25,&50 yard pistol/shotgun range and a 100 yard rifle range in Charles City county. It's a really nice place, and best of all, it's free and open to the public. Just have to get used to the really short hours of operation during hunting season, and it being closed every Wed. and periodic closures other times for Dept. traing. Welcome to the East side of town.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#2]

I've been up to the Chickahominy WMA, but otherwise don't know much about the area.

You may wish to get in touch with the local government (Board of Supervisors, Sherriff's Dept, etc.) to find out about shooting regulations on private property.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#3]
My buddy is originally from Charles City.  We have shot several times in his backyard.  Shotgun, my 9mm, my 45, his 40, no problems.  Now, in all fairness, his old man is retired VA state trooper, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.  I dont know how big CC is, but I would probably contact local law enforcement in regards to shooing on your own property.  They are pretty easy going out there from what I have seen (unless you are an "out of towner")
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#4]
i have a friend who has his own range on his property in charles city,
he is a full blown NFA nut, and ain't afraid to cut loose a mag or 10 in a minute,
i have not heard of any problems with law enforcement in the area, but i cannot remember how  many acres he has ..

i also know a guy in New Kent, has his own private 300yd range, and a damn nice one too, never a problem,,

i knew a few of the deputies in new kent when i worked in the county a few years ago, all i meet were damn nice folks,

HTH

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#5]
If the land is zoned ag then there shouldn't be anything in the law to outright prohibit shooting per se. Most jurisdictions do have various noise and nuisance restrictions though, and you could still have problems if nearby neighbors get irate about noise, safety, etc.

I'm on a little more than five acres in western Hanover. Most folks nearby are on similar sized lots. I can usually do a couple pistol mags during the weekday when the closest neighbors are off to work, but have generally restrained from any prolonged activity or more loud shotgun and rifle. I also belong to nearby Cavalier though, where within a few minutes drive I can do all I want.

Some newcomers to the neighborhood sometimes try more extended blasting (like for a couple of hours or more), including on nice weekends while family types are out in the yard with kids, wives, etc. Won't bother me any but I think they'll get complained at after awhile, since it usually tapers off after the first few times. (Either that or the novelty just wears off.)

Most of the local LE is very pro civilian shooting. Even had a deputy come to speak at our neighborhood crimewatch meeting and suggest we could collectively do some defensive-shooting practice down along our creek. Not all residents were supportive of that idea though.....

Probably just need to judge what level of discretion is appropriate for wherever you're at.

Good luck finding a nice spread!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top