Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2005 6:44:17 PM EDT
Anyone know what the largest caliber weapon you can shoot there? Anyone ever shot there before?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:45:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I have shot there plenty. Its a pretty decent spot. As long as you follow their  rules. I was there last week and a guy with a .22 cal ruger was double tapping his target. The range master on duty crept up on him and waited for him to do it again.

The guy then did a manual three round burst and then the range master jumped all down his throat. I am not sure what the highest caliber you can fire there is. They have a display in the window of the range master station that shows small caliber rounds up to the largest round I have ever seen.

I do not know if this display is any indication of what the largest caliber you can fire is. Sorry if I went off topic with my range story.

All in all though Clarke brothers is a good spot to shoot at in my opinion. The ammo is too expensive though. so if you go do what I do. Preload your mags with ammo bought from somewhere cheaper and buy your  5 for a$1 targets from them and 1 or 2 boxes of there expensive ammo. They claim to check receipts for ammo but they never checked mine so I continue to use this method.

I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:35:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Anyone know what the largest caliber weapon you can shoot there? Anyone ever shot there before?

Plague or Clark Brothers...tough decision...not sure which one I would avoid more...

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:15:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plague or Clark Brothers...tough decision...not sure which one I would avoid more...

Amen.  Clark Brothers lost my business after the same range-master screwed up TWICE in one trip when I was there.  The first time was calling the range "HOT" while there will still people downrange.  The second was calling the range "HOT" without half of us hearing it and someone running down range (a buddy of mine) and THEN getting yelled at.  We packed our shit, went inside and yelled back and hightailed it out of there.  We had been shooting there once a week before that.

btw:  .22 and .38 are the only affordable pistol calibers there.

shooter
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:11:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen.  Clark Brothers lost my business after the same range-master screwed up TWICE in one trip when I was there.  The first time was calling the range "HOT" while there will still people downrange.  The second was calling the range "HOT" without half of us hearing it and someone running down range (a buddy of mine) and THEN getting yelled at.  We packed our shit, went inside and yelled back and hightailed it out of there.  We had been shooting there once a week before that.

btw:  .22 and .38 are the only affordable pistol calibers there.

shooter

Thats quite a tale. I have never seen something of that nature while I was there. I have however seen an idiot who was changing his targets while the range was hot at the pistol end .

Boy did he get chewed out. I think that if the range masters are going to do so much yelling they need to be sure they are armed at all times.

One day they may just yell at the guy who was just fired from his job and has nothing to lose and is holding a fully loaded Desert Eagle .50 caliber hand cannon.

Your story makes me want to reconsider going there in the future.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Clark Brothers, home of 50 rd boxes of .223 for $19.99 !  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Its a shame...  A place like that could be so good to us gun owners and we in return could be so good for them.  Shame they sabotage the place with their crappy range rules and extreme prices.

I thought they were also having trouble with all of the new neighbor's trying to shut the range down...???

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard they are in big trouble.  The state wants the easement back to widen 29 which would gut their parking (and probably require moving the building).  Add that to all the property surrounding them wanting them gone and they do not have much breathing room.  I suspect that any major changes that required them to get permits would be denied, based on the neighbors.

As much as I regret the loss of any shop I am not jazzed about the safety, the prices, nor the policies.  I avoid it like the plague.

shooter
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:19:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Part of me was hopiong it had changed in the past couple of years, but all indications is that it hasn't.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#9]

The C.F. Phelps range is reasonably close to that area, and you wouldn't have to put up with the Clark Bros BS: www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/WMA/cf_phelps.html
The only bad part is the "no handguns" rule.

Just to add to the complaints... they're yet another crappy rural gunshop. Virginia is littered with them,with only a few jewels here and there. Smoky, wood paneled shops with curmudgeonly owners, crammed to the brim with expensive wood stocked hunting guns,pricey over and unders and maybe the occasional AR or SKS grudgingly accepted as a tradein. Accessories and ammo are bought from familiar online gun accessory providers that we all buy direct from, but they're then marked up 20%. Worse yet, they may be bought from ridiculously priced catalog based middleman retailers because the gunshop owners aren't net saavy enough to buy their own inventory from wholesalers.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Can you bring your own ammo or is it another one of those buy there overpriced ammo?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Can you bring your own ammo or is it another one of those buy there overpriced ammo?

The latter, but as mentioned above, they don't really check.  I've *cough* heard you can buy a box of there stuff and bring your own loaded mags and save some coin.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#12]
You have to remember that its an OLD shop/range.  Its setup to cater to bolt gunners and the occasional pistol shooter.  They have had some off the wall things that I've needed and they are usually willing to haggle if its not a common place item.  I bought a black powder cleaning rod, 10 inch extension and nylon cleaning brush combo from them since I couldnt find anything to fit my BMG.  They had it marked around $35 when added up.  I ended up paying less than $20 all said and done.  It seems they are not prone to change which could be the death of them.  

Having said all that I do not frequent them unless there is something odd that I need.  Ive maybe been there once in the last 3 years.  I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top