Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2005 6:42:14 PM EDT
I finally built a nice little shop in my basement and I have nothing to build sooooo.. looking for some help from our more experienced members.
What tools and other implements will I need to purchase to change barrels and uppers around?

I have participated in the FAL builds, and have watched a gentleman rebarrel my AR15 in less than 4 minutes, I am confident that with the right tools I can take on the job myself.

All advice very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:26:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#2]
what's happening, bud?  

Rebarreling is really easy...if I can do it, anyone can!  

I recommend the DPMS action block, the DPMS wrench, and if you're gonna be doing any float tube w/ the jam nut installations, the Yankee Hill wrench as well.  

It's a good idea to go ahead and shoot some Kroil on the barrrel nut, and let it sit for 10 or 20 minutes...a very few barrels nuts can be an absoulte bitch to break loose.  I had an Armalite barrel that was absurd, but we finally got it w/o having to stick it in the freezer.  

Once you go to install the new one, don't go overboard with the torquing...most folks here just tighten until it's snug, then just go to the next gap so you can get the gas tube in.  I recommend NOT using a torque wrench, fwiw.  

Brownell's sells a really nifty tool...its just a solid stainless piece about 4" long, that's the same size as the gas tube, to line everything up with.  You don't need it, but some FSBs can be tight, so it makes it very easy to check the alignement of the barrel nut w/o having to worry about anything else.  I bought one, and use it on just about every build now.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top