Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2005 10:48:05 AM EDT
I was perusing the ads and I saw that there was a deal on .50 cal ammo cans in bulk for like $1.99 each.

I seem to recall some interest in people in the VA forum toward splitting up a buy of these. Is anyone interested in splitting up a pallet of 100 of these?

ETA: The price was 99 cents each, not 1.99.... plus shipping
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd pick up at least 5-10 of them. They're always good for sorting ammo, brass, etc.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell for 1.99 a pop i'll order atleast 5 and I know a friend of mine will order some also.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll go in  for 5.

Nevis
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Found the ad.

cheap 50 cal ammo cans

Take a look and see what you think.

140 cans is the minimum order, so that's must be a pallet coming to your house.

ETA: I called the site, this is what I found out.
140 cans weighs 900 pounds shipped.

When you factor in shipping to 22030, the price per can including shipping is $4.20 a can.

Ouch.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#5]
For $2/each, I'll get 5-10.  Just let me know.

Edit:  @$4.20/each, I'm out.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Found the ad.

cheap 50 cal ammo cans

When you factor in shipping to 22030, the price per can including shipping is $4.20 a can.

Ouch.

How much was the shipping?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The lady didn't even say, she just said, factoring on that zipcode, it worked out to $4.20 a can total.
They said the package weighed 900 pounds, so it's gotta be alot.
If you bought less cans, the per can price before shipping goes up, so I don't think that will work either.

ETA: Oh, and for 140 cans it is 99 cents a can, not 1.99. Plus the huge shipping cost of course.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Truck freight might be an option for shipping.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Seems we'd be better off buying one of the lots that goes up for sale through the military surplus site.  You can get a truckload (as in deuce-sized truckload) for a few hundred $$.  I've seen them for sale in Norfolk and even DSCR/DGSC in Richmond.  I just personally never need 5,000 50-cal ammo cans .  I can find a link if there's enough interest.

Black Fox
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Probably would be cheaper to do it forward air, I shipped a 400+ lb axle for maybe 100 some dollars. 900 lbs cant be more than $300. Would bring it down to $3.00 a pop. Check out alternate shipping options, the option may still be viable.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Seems we'd be better off buying one of the lots that goes up for sale through the military surplus site.  You can get a truckload (as in deuce-sized truckload) for a few hundred $$.  I've seen them for sale in Norfolk and even DSCR/DGSC in Richmond.  I just personally never need 5,000 50-cal ammo cans .  I can find a link if there's enough interest.

Black Fox

I think we should do the truckload of them like you said, and keep em at your house.
I"ll come by and buy some!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:50:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:49:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't have a truck, but that sounds like a good deal.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Find someone with a big horse trailer.  That should work.  A few years ago, someone that attended the location IDPA matches was given 1000 of the 50cal cans, as a donation for the boy scouts or something.  They sold them at $2 each.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here are a few in VA.  Auctions don't close for another month.

cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=685698&convertTo=USD

cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=685702&convertTo=USD

quote]Quoted:
Find someone with a big horse trailer.  That should work.  A few years ago, someone that attended the location IDPA matches was given 1000 of the 50cal cans, as a donation for the boy scouts or something.  They sold them at $2 each.

Seems there are two lots: 180 ea and 240 ea both with an initial bid of $35.

I have a 27ft enclosed autohauler that could transport this easily.  Arlington to Portsmouth is approx. 200 miles so a tank of gas (I hope no more) there and back for about $150.  Provided I (we/me/you) could get the lot of 240 for $50 with fuel that comes out to about $ .83 per can cost back to NOVA.

Some of these cans may not be serviceable as they are rated F7.

Nevis

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#16]
That's dirt cheap for cans, if they all are useable.

i'm betting that at the end of the month some one will bid that lot up higher though.

If not, i'd be in on financing a 1/3rd of that deal. Someone needs to store them though.
My dinky townhouse hasn't got the room.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#17]
There is also this option:

catalog.jgsales.com/?itemnumber=7-757p

JGSALES in AZ

$.99 per can (lot of 140)
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

JGSALES in AZ

That's the deal we were originally looking at.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

JGSALES in AZ

That's the deal we were originally looking at.

woops.  

Somewhere/somehow forgot that this is where it began.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Found the ad.

cheap 50 cal ammo cans

Ouch.

That comes out to a little over 6 pounds per can.  Is there something in the cans?  I dont see those cans weighing as much as a light M4.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm just quoting the price the lady mentioned.  I do remember hearing before in a similar thread that UPS rapes you on shipping charges on ammo cans, someone else considered a group buy where one person drove to Ohio or something with a trailer and bought a ton of em for the rest of us back here in Virginia.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:27:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I have been trying to win one of those.  As they are a near constant item, I am a patient (read cheap!), they keep going above my minimum.  They are also a near constant in the PA DRMO auctions.  I have been looking there as it is a shorter trip from NOVA than driving down to Potty-mouth.

Besides the cans in PA look to be kept inside, while the VA auctions all seem to be kept outside.  

I will keep up my vigilant watch, but I will not get bidder's fever and blow my maximum.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
They are also a near constant in the PA DRMO auctions.  I have been looking there as it is a shorter trip from NOVA than driving down to Potty-mouth.
Besides the cans in PA look to be kept inside, while the VA auctions all seem to be kept outside.  
I will keep up my vigilant watch, but I will not get bidder's fever and blow my maximum.

If you go for one of the PA bids (which depot are they selling from?) and need some extra hands,
let me know, I’ll ride up with you.

And if you need storage space for a little while, we could drop them off at our place in PA. With the
interest that I’ve seen expressed here, it shouldn’t take too long to get rid of them, plus we’d have
room to weed through them, sorting the good from the junk.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They are also a near constant in the PA DRMO auctions.  I have been looking there as it is a shorter trip from NOVA than driving down to Potty-mouth.

If you go for one of the PA bids (which depot are they selling from?) and need some extra hands,
let me know, I’ll ride up with you.

And if you need storage space for a little while, we could drop them off at our place in PA. With the
interest that I’ve seen expressed here, it shouldn’t take too long to get rid of them, plus we’d have
room to weed through them, sorting the good from the junk.

Yes, I can ride and help also. And if you need/want/desire to, we can keep the cans at my little farm where they will be out of the weather while we disperse them. I'm about 20 minutes S.E. of Petersburg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top