Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2005 3:45:00 PM EDT
First, I realize we don't normally give the name until after the company has had a chance to make ammends.  Well, they had their chance already and I've never gotten on here to complain about anything.

Little background first.  My wife had been driving the same car for 9 years and finally decided 2 months ago it was time for a replacement.  I've busted my butt for a year and a half to get her something different, but the last 2 months have been the hardest since she is now ready for it.  I've been doing research on everything she says she likes, so we were not going into this completely blind today.

So today, we finally agreed on a car, drove it, liked it and decided to talk price.  It was a Mazda 6 that Rosenthal Nissan Mazda had on the lot in Vienna.  We go in, talk to the sales guy, he gives us a price and we tell him it is a good start.  The manager then comes out and proceeds to feed us a bunch of crap about how he loves the trade in, the first he took was the same thing.  Whatever, my wife and I have some idea how the game works so we play a long.

Finally he gives us a price that is $3000 lower than the internet price (about $6000 lower than kbb.com retail, and $1000 lower than kbb.com trade in), with 2 years free maintenance and oil changes.  He wrote all of this down, figured tax/title/fess, even gave us an "out the door" price.  Sounds like a decent deal and I didn't even have to haggle, this guy is just offering it because we don't look all that amused.

We said thanks, we might be back and went to look at one more car on another lot.  My wife decided she like the Mazda 6 so we ended up back at Rosenthal.  The original sales guy starts the paperwork and all is good.  The manager comes back out, makes the appropriate notes on the "we owe" slip and shows us another worksheet with a different pricing scheme, AND asks my wife to inital.  We both declined to initial as the pricing wasn't quite correct.  He tells us not to worry, no need to sign it, everything will work out in the business/finance office.  We're still okay at this point.

In the business office, the computer jockey punches the numbers into the computer and comes up with the amount that we are going to finance.  It is over $1000 more than the agreed upon "out the door" price.  After some back and forth with the business guy and the manager, he says "my boss came in and said we can't do this. But we'll take another $300 off."  Now we had a problem.  

I stood up and started to walk out as did my wife.  We had some unkind words with the manager then ran into his boss, who claimed they were losing money if they made the deal.  Plus the manager himself says "your trade in isn't worth $100, let alone what we're giving you."  We know the game even if we aren't that good at it.  We knew they weren't giving us shit for our trade in, we were playing along.  

Anyway the manager f'ing lied to our faces about "don't worry it will work out."  I'm PISSED!!!  Not about the car, but about the way they operated.  This guy truly believed we wouldn't notice an extra $1000.  Then he denied lying about it.  

I will not be going to any place with the name Rosenthal on it for anything.  I'm currently forming a couple of letters in my head.  The first with be to the dealership and the manager, the second will be to the better business bureau, and the third will be to the chamber of commerce.  It may not do anything but make me feel better, but that's a start.

If the guy had come to us and said, "Hey I screwed up, I can't sell it at that price, here's what we can do,"  I would not have been happy, but probably would have worked with the guy.  For him to lie to us was the worst thing he could have done.  

If anybody knows a decent dealer out there, please let me know.  I'm tired of dealing with scumbags.  Cliffy, I know you're a good guy, you just don't sell what we want.

Thanks for a place to vent.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Remember to avoid the Fairfax Honda/VW/Volvo places...they are all Rosenthal too.

Sadly your story is typical of Rosenthal.

shooter
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Think being a customer is bad, try working   for them.
(and that was many years ago)
They suck. That's why Rosenthal is referred to as " Hose'm all "
Sorry you got jerked around, no wonder car salesmen have such a bad rap.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the support.  Its sad to hear I'm not the only one, but good to know going forward.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Remember to avoid the Fairfax Honda/VW/Volvo places...they are all Rosenthal too.

Sadly your story is typical of Rosenthal.

shooter

Don't forget Landmark...

Yeah, I am a car guy, but that kind of crap pisses me off more than it does consumers.  A-holes like this make us all look bad.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had good luck with Brown's Mazda for two cars - that didn't include trade deals.

And Cliffy hooked me up on my latest Toyota.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:24:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Bought a new car for the wife this weekend too, at VW Springfield.

2006 VW Passat.

Had $6,000.00 down, (no trade in, well we HAD one, but THEY weren't going to see it.)

Did the financing through USAA and had 5.25% for 5 years pre-approved before we walked in.

He came down a little on the MSRP but I didn't beat him up too much on it since the model just came out.

Offered to try VW financing. I said sure lets see what they can do. Got 4.9% for 5 years.

Went tot the financing guy and I was looking at the computer screen and it said 4.9% for 48 months.

I said whoah jack, we agreed to 60 months.

Financing guy looked at me.....I started to get up.....he changed it...we signed...wife is happy.

MOST car dealers are pretty scummy guys.

ETA:

We went to Carmax with the wife's OLD car, which I spent a godd 2 hours detailing. KBB on it was $1800.00.

Carmax gave us $3200.00

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:46:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Dude!  Why didn't you stop by and say hello?  I can literally hit the VW dealership with a rock from my office.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude!  Why didn't you stop by and say hello?  I can literally hit the VW dealership with a rock from my office.  

Sorry sir I did not know!

Hell just drop by and say hi yourself, I live on Edsall Road!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No problem man.  I was just giving you a hard time.  If you see the Springfield VW commercials on cable, you can actually see the dealership I work for outside the window of the showroom.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem man.  I was just giving you a hard time.  If you see the Springfield VW commercials on cable, you can actually see the dealership I work for outside the window of the showroom.

Thought you guys knew each other already.  

Bulldog, sounds like you did okay on the VW.  I did have a good experience at that dealership last year while looking at a Passat.  We're going back to the Ford guy in Woodbridge this week to see if they can fix us up.  They did a great job with my truck.  

Here's the update.  I typed a 2 page letter today and I am currently faxing it to 9 different Rosenthal dealerships.  It explains our side of the events from yesterday in a bit clearer way that above, my wife did some editing for me.  I doubt I'll hear anything from any of the dealers, but I want everybody involved with Rosenthal management/sales to know what this sales guy did.  Letters will be written later this week to the BBB and Chamber of Commerce.  

Anybody else I can contact?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks!

If there are any others, please let me know.  For some reason I'm not taking this lightly like I normally would.  I want everybody to know how we were treated.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, I found out that most of the Rosenthal dealerships are not affiliated with my problem dealership.  A couple of them have called to make that clear and apologize for the issues I ran into.  

The dealership we were dealing with did call too.  They offered the car to me at the original price that had been agreed upon.  I told them no thanks, we'll never be into that dealership again, I will let everybody know of my experience and I'm filing a complaint with the Motor Vehicle Dealer board, BBB and CofC.  Apparently my fax made it all the way to the President of the dealership, although he couldn't be bothered to talk to me.  

I feel a little better, but I'm not done.  I will be filing complaints where appropriate.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cliffy, what dealership are you at?

shooter
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Springfield Scion.  Its actually Kay Jenning's Springfield Toyota, but I run the Scion sales department which is seperate from the main dealership.  My showroom shares space with out parts department and I literally could hit the VW dealership with a poorly thrown rock.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I literally could hit the VW dealership with a poorly thrown rock.

Maybe...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top