Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 12:25:18 PM EDT
On Halloween, our church sponsors a "Trunk or Treat" at our church parking lot as a safe and non-scary alternative for the nighborhood kids. Basically, those who want to participate, get to dress up themselves and their vehicles, arrange the vehicles in the parking lot and load up their trunks with treats for the kids. We also have all kinds of kid friendly games and grub (cotton candy, popcorn machine, moon bounce etc).

Here is my request: I am looking for a surplus/military vehicle (jeep or truck) to borrow or rent as part of my family's costume so to speak. Last year, as i was running out of time and ideas, and being the low speed high drag guy that i am, i ended up having my family wear fatigues and gear stuffed with candy(no firearms ), painted our faces, draped some camo nettting and camo tarp over my sploder, put up a hand painted sign "Army of the Lord" on the side of the truck, brought a bunch ofcandy and showed up.

Amazingly enough, it was a freakin big hit. The kids loved it and the grown ups too - those that dressed themselves up as vegetables or clowns and what not LOL.

So if i can find a surplus vehicle, i think it would be kewl for this year. It will remain parked, i can pick it up and return it, or the owner can drive it there and we will lovingly and carefully dress it up. Nobody has to clamber on top of it or have any reason to be on it..

Anyway, i would appreciate any help from the gang.

Thanks,
DD
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Hello Devotedad-
I can't help you on the military vehicle.  Sorry.  But,
My daughter goes to that school!  She's in Kindergarden.
Its a great event.  We've always had a great time for the past 3 years.
I wonder if they'll have fireworks this year?
I think I remember seeing you last year but didn't know you're member here.
I will certainly look for you this year and say hi.
Probably not the best place to talk guns though!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hello Devotedad-
I can't help you on the military vehicle.  Sorry.  But,
My daughter goes to that school!  She's in Kindergarden.
Its a great event.  We've always had a great time for the past 3 years.
I wonder if they'll have fireworks this year?
I think I remember seeing you last year but didn't know you're member here.
I will certainly look for you this year and say hi.
Probably not the best place to talk guns though!

Prolly not the same school/church bguy. I'm sure other churches do this too - reason is, we don't have a school (if you don't count the gazillion kids that are homeschooled) and we just started it last year. My church is Reston Bible Church.

But if we keep it quite, i'm sure we can talk guns in our parking lot!!

BTT for me..
DD
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Devotedad - My wife works for CFC here in Ashburn, and we do something similar.

I don't have a military vehicle (yet!) but it's good to hear that we're not the only church that offers
something like that for the kids.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:26:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Devotedad - My wife works for CFC here in Ashburn, and we do something similar.

I don't have a military vehicle (yet!) but it's good to hear that we're not the only church that offers
something like that for the kids.

CFC rocks. Ya'll where generous with your facilities when we needed all of our 4 services in one place a couple of years ago.

DD
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:48:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm glad to help, but think the drive from Richmond to NOVA in the Deuce would be a challenge.  Have you contacted Hard Rock and Bubbles?  Don't mean to volunteer them by any means, but they have some gear in your neck of the woods....

Black Fox
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm glad to help, but think the drive from Richmond to NOVA in the Deuce would be a challenge.  Have you contacted Hard Rock and Bubbles?  Don't mean to volunteer them by any means, but they have some gear in your neck of the woods....

Black Fox

I thought of them Travis - cept that i remembered a reply of theirs in one of the threads that they moved to WV??
I'll send them IM..

Yeah - Richmond to NoVa is a drive and some - thanks anyways.
DD
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#7]
We're still in Sterling; the move to WV won't be for another few months.

Where and what date?  Godzilla may be available (it's in NC now for repairs)... and people can climb all over it if they want.  It's not like they're going to hurt it...

Otherwise you can borrow my pickup.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Where and what date?  Godzilla may be available (it's in NC now for repairs)... and people can climb all over it if they want.  It's not like they're going to hurt it...

Otherwise you can borrow my pickup.

Thanks!!!
Godzilla looks really kewl..... but i'll take the p/up if that's what you got come halloween time!!
It's gonna be on Monday the 31st of October.  From i guess late afternoon to 9pm or so??

Let me know how you want to handle it - (ie me picking it up, or you driving it to RBC or any other combination). I'd be glad to pay for gas, or with ammo or whatever it is that godzilla snacks on..

Like i said, i'd be happy to rent it too..

Thanks again,
DD
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome!!  Hard Rock, Bubbles and devotedad are all good people.  Glad you all could work it out....

Black Fox
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:30:44 AM EDT
[#11]
spoke to Hardrock last night...

me a happy man... godzilla is scheduled to be ready by halloween.. WOOT!

DD
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Where are you moving to? We're moving to Shepherdstown by mid-December (supposedly).
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Where are you moving to? We're moving to Shepherdstown by mid-December (supposedly).

Inwood.  The house where we're going is just under three miles from Exit 5 on I-81.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top