Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 8:30:19 AM EDT
Hey guys.  I have not been camping really since I was little, and I would really like to go.  My apartmentmate is an Eagle Scout and is experienced with long wilderness camping trips and we would go together, so I am not just flinging myself into the woods alone and with no guidance.  I am a hunter and am use to spending a day or two trekking through the woods full of gear in the freezing rain.  So I am used to hiking in the woods, but I am also used to making my way back to my truck and then home at the end of the day.

Most of my apartmentmate’s experience has been in New Mexico and other states not close to here and so we both don’t know the area.

We live in Centreville VA, near Fairfax, so we are pretty far north.  We need some help in finding some locations we can get two with an hour or three of driving

Looking for: a place to get lost in the woods for about 2-3 days(lost figuratively, GPS's and compases are a good thing).
At least need topo maps of the area.
A place without set camping areas.  I keep finding parks online with designated campsites with BBQ grills and toilet facilities a mere 50 feet from a parking lot.  That’s not “roughing it”.  We want to go into the woods, march til we can’t march no more, set a camp set a fire and…you know…camp, not go RV’ing.

Also would really really really prefer a place that allows guns.  I am not looking to shoot or even carry my AR.  But if I am far from civilization, I would like to pack my 357 for crying out loud.

Phoxxz, feel free to chime in with anything I am missing.  You are the Eagle.

Thanks,

mjohn3006
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Few of us are going camping in NovemberOCTOBER 28-30th , come along.

Good thing I checked after posting.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

SWEET!!!  Is there a thread about it?  More info please.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#3]
You can camp and CC in GW national forest.  I've done it before.  Ran into a large cat who didnt like me in his territory.  If I'd seen him he'd of gotten 230 grains of kitty medicine.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=374459

there ya go.  if it wasnt so far away i would love to go.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=374459

there ya go.  if it wasnt so far away i would love to go.

Far away???

Come with us, I am only 59 miles closer than you are and just think of the great outdoors in West Virginia and your weapons in tow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top