Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 12:26:33 PM EDT
It has been near 2 years since I've been shooting at IWLA.  Ya I'm bad.  Anyway, I recently picked up a new scope for my supressed 10/22.  The 20 dollar scope I had on it was so bad it couldn't zero.  Sniperm88 talked me into a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x scope which I needed to zero.   So, after shooting around 20-30 rounds I had everything zero'd perfectly.  Damn nice scope.  The elderly range officer sauntered on over during a cease fire

HIM: What kind of bullets are you shooting?  "That is the quietest rifle I've ever heard."  
ME: It is an integral supressed 10/22 shooting various subsonic ammo.
HIM: "Thats illegal"
ME: Uhh no sir, supressed weapons are not illegal.  
HIM: Do you have a license?
ME: No license needed, It only takes a 200 dollar tax stamp.  
HIM: Yearly fee?
ME: No, it is a one time fee.  Each time you sell or buy.

I asked him if he would like to try it out and he declines.   Oh, he of course asked... what do you use that for?  

Wee.....  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I get that same kind of look with some of my "toys".
I have been a member for over 15 years, but often do not have enough time for fun!!
They all love my custom RB AR-15 7.5" pistol.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#2]
"The ignorance of the industry in which you are employed is astounding sir."
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#3]
That stuff makes me angry.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#4]
work a table at a gun show,
or better yet, work in retail
then you will truly know how ignorant the populace is
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
work a table at a gun show,
or better yet, work in retail
then you will truly know how ignorant the populace is

+ A Bazillion!

Been in retail about 10 years, worked as an RO part-time for 5.
The ignorance of the populace is actually a little scary.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]
It's why I don't go there any more.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I shoot at that range all the time...most of the guys there are pretty knowledgable, but there are one or 2 who don't know shit from shinola.  

I'm betting it was the same guy who kicked over my brand new (to me) Enfield, putting a nice gouge in the pristine wood.  

They're pretty black rifle friendly out there, too...you see ARs and AKs out there every weekend.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#8]
My experience has been the same.  Very AR/AK friendly.  There is only one of the ROs that think they know everything.  He's easily identified because he's the one that loves to hear himself talk in the middle area of the line.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Q: what do you use that for?

A: I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you.

also, print up some targets with a bunch of these on 'em:
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Q: what do you use that for?

A: I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you.

also, print up some targets with a bunch of these on 'em:

+1  I find short, thoughtful, yet vague, answers are the most unnerving. . . .
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Which IWLA do you shoot at?  I'm a member of the Alexandria chapter, our range is in Stafford.  They're pretty EBR friendly, but one guy did take offense to me having my 16" carbine slung across me w/ a 3 point tac sling.    MJD
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#12]
It was the Centreville IWLA.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Just for people who don't know the Arlington-Fairfax chapter of the IWLA range is in Centreville and the Alexandria chapter range is in Stafford.  There really is not a relation between the two, ie- you can't be a member of one and just go shoot at the other.   Totally independent.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Just for people who don't know the Arlington-Fairfax chapter of the IWLA range is in Centreville and the Alexandria chapter range is in Stafford.  There really is not a relation between the two, ie- you can't be a member of one and just go shoot at the other.   Totally independent.  

ETA: I wish I could switch from Centreville to Stafford as I live in LakeRidge/Woodbridge now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm out at the IWLA-Centreville every other Monday. I'll be there again Oct. 3rd about 11:00am if anybody wants to make the EBR presence be known.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top