Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 4:45:54 AM EDT

The country is beautiful.  My wife and I postponed our honeymoon after we got married in December, 2004, because December in Scotland sucks.  So we took 10 days in September 2005 to go, and boy, let me tell you it was GREAT!!!!  We were there from September 5th-September 14th.

Between the digital camera and the 35mm we took almost 1200 pictures.  I will be going through them soon to get them on a CD.  I'm sure it will be fun to sort them and such.

We flew from Dulles to Manchester, then Manchester to Edinburgh.  We rented a Mercedes C-class in Edinburgh and drove the 120 miles or so to Inverness, the capital of the Highlands.  Having never driven in Europe before the whole left hand side of the road thing was a unique experience in itself.

We arrived in Inverness and checked into our B&B/Hotel located in nearby Contin/Strathpeffer.  It's about 20 miles outside Inverness, right in the heart of Salmon country.

For six days we drove the country and saw various castles, ruins, sites and attractions.  It really was quite incredible.  The Highlands between Inverness and the Isle of Skye were absolutely stunning.  I think we may have taken 300-500 pictures during that journey alone.

On the 11th we packed up and headed south back to Edinburgh for 3 more nights there.  We stayed a little outside the city centre, but still within walking distance of the castle.

On our last day we ventured over to St. Andrew's and I got my picture on the Swilken Bridge.

I'm back at work now and I'm kind of relieved to be back.  It was quite and experience, I enjoyed it all, but I am quite fond of being in the USA.

I will get pictures up as I get them sorted out and uploaded.

Just a few of my favorites, though these are only out of the 690 digital photos, they were taken in 1280x960 and have been resampled down to 800 pixels wide:

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:57:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome back, sounds like you both had a great trip!
Post some pics when you're ready.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:40:20 AM EDT
[#2]
sounds great
Tag for pics.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#3]
You were gone for 10 days?  I didn't notice.

Sounds like you had a great trip!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You didn't notice how quiet it's been around here.

Now that you mention it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Looking forward to seeing any photos.  My fathers family is from Paisley, a little southwest from Glasgow.  Hopefully next summer/fall my father and I will take a trip over and look around.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Added 7 pics I liked....there are so many more to sort I might never get through them all......
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My heritage is all Scottish.......and I've been able to get to Scotland 3 times.

If if weren't for the fucked up gun laws, I would seriously consider moving.

As Shivan said and the pictures prove.........some of the most beautiful country on Earth (and the best beer too).    

I see your Loch Ness pics.........did you guys get to Culloden Battlefield Shivan?

Thanks for the pics!

Actually none of those are Loch Ness, though we did get there to see Urquahart Castle.  We did not make it to Culloden Battlefield nor Cawdor Castle, even though we were only 5 miles away.

My wife's heritage is Scottish in half.  My heritage has a large chunk of Scottish as well.  Though my surname is not reflective of it.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:33:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the wonderful pics. Just awesome.

My clan (McFarland) is from near Loch Lomond. Never been, but it's always been a dream.

One of these days....
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:02:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the pictures Ed!

I've been trying to decide between Ireland and Scotland for a mountain bike trip but I think I just made up my mind!

Beautiful
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:03:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:07:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I've been trying to decide between Ireland and Scotland for a mountain bike trip but I think I just made up my mind!

Beautiful

Scotland.  Hands down.  I believe there is quite a cycling sub-culture there.  You would likely have an easy time finding locations/guides in the Highlands.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:57:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:46:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Between the digital camera and the 35mm we took almost 1200 pictures.  I will be going through them soon to get them on a CD.  I'm sure it will be fun to sort them and such.

You should check out a package like MemoriesOnTV (Google it), that way you don't just get the photos on CD but you can zoom and pan into them, have transition effects and back it all with some good music.

I send these DVD's back to my folks in Scotland all the time on and they bring tears to their eyes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If if weren't for the fucked up gun laws, I would seriously consider moving.

One of the reasons I was keen to move to the US.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:52:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Next time you go over there and are up in Inverness......go to Culloden.  I have ancestors buried there in the mass Clan graves, it's a really quiet, somber, and beautiful place.

I have a BBC program from the "Battlefield Britain" series this year on Culloden.  It is in DivX (or Xvid) format.  About 300MB, if you can handle that download let me know and I will send you the link.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:18:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Beautiful Pics, I'm jealous
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Those pictures look good enough to be postcards!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Those pictures look good enough to be postcards!

Well thanks!!!  It's pretty easy to photograph beautiful landscapes like that.....

They really don't take a bad pic.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Some nice pix of some beautiful countyside!  Got any with you and your bride in them?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beautiful

Scotland.  Hands down.  I believe there is quite a cycling sub-culture there.  You would likely have an easy time finding locations/guides in the Highlands.

I can't stop looking at these pictures!  I think I see a mountain bike trail on that last one

Get some more up over the weekend please.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I am envious....I want to go soo bad. I am pretty much ALL Scottish/Irish/Norse...(Stuart McDaniel) even the name says it all!!
And I am a Clan Donald member!!! Aye!!

Great pictures!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Messaged you back.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Great pics, I'm jealous! All those wide open places......where are all the condos and McDonalds?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Did you see this report though?  Apparently Scotland is the world's most violent country.

Unbelievable.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Great pics, I'm jealous! All those wide open places......where are all the condos and McDonalds?

You mean the Connor's and the Mcleod's!

Great pics...did you get one of ol' Mons Meg?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Shiva,

Wife and I also took a delayed honeymoon 'over there' a few years back.  We picked the Cottswolds since we were planning on walking the countryside. Don't regret it one bit but would plan to do Scotland next time. Thanks for the great pics!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top