Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2005 11:50:01 PM EDT
I have a pistol I want to sell a friend. Both of us live in VA (me spotsylvania county   He lives in Henrico county)  How do I legally transfer the pistol into his name. He called Green Top and they said we needed to call the ATF. He has a clean background as do I, so the background check is not a problem. I was under the impression that a transfer could be made through a firearms dealer for a charge of about $20. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:22:20 AM EDT
[#1]
1. He hands you the money.
2. You hand him the gun.

No one needs to be involved in a private face-to-face transaction in Virginia besides the seller and the buyer.  There's no need for a transfer, forms, background check, nothing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:39:45 AM EDT
[#2]
What METT-T said, plus a thousand.  You are not a dealer.  You are a private citizen exercising your right to dispose of personal property as you see fit.  No ID checks, no criminal checks are required.  You could get a bill of sale but it is not necessary.
As far as Greentop is concerned, they should already know the above.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:46:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe for it to be a lawfully FTF, you have to verify the buyer lives in VA.   IE look at his drivers license.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:08:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone, that seems very easy.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Verify residency (driver's license) and if you have any doubts, you might want to verify nationality as well. It's never been an issue for me, the few FTF deals I've done, I knew the people were U.S. citizens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top