Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 4:26:59 AM EDT
Anyone needing a Virginia Hunter Education Class for your hunting license can go to the link and find the location by zip code.

Crossbows are legal now for everyone!

Link here
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#1]
well it looks like i will have to take the class since i have never had a hunting license before.

one is being offered on Ft. Belvoir later this month.  3 hours on a thursday then 7.5 hours on a saturday.

does anyone know what this class consists of, i cant find any info of it online.

thanks
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I took it two years ago at Ft. Belvoir. Very basic stuff, all common sense. Stuff like handling of firearms (think the 4 rules) hunting ethics and hunting laws. Nothing too challenging, much of it you'll already know. One test at the end (I could have passed it without having to take the class) is all I recall.  A lot of the folks there are fathers with their sons, and many are taking it prior to their qualification and classes to bow hunt on Ft. Belvoir.  BTW, if you don't have your VA concealed permit, hunter's ed qualifies as instruction in firearms safety for that.

A Texan eh? I'm actually going hunting in Texas with a buddy of mine out near Austin (close to Hamilton Pool)  and down near Eagle Pass in October.  Doves, hogs, exotics maybe a javalina.  I've got to talk to another friend about  this season and white tails out near Staunton, VA.

lansker
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 BTW, if you don't have your VA concealed permit, hunter's ed qualifies as instruction in firearms safety for that.

lansker

In some counties it does, but most of them around Richmond it does not.....

i thought with statewide preemption all that seperate county and city shit went away.  now everything is covered under state law i though...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The permits may be issued by the County Clerk of Courts, but the standards (including what is acceptable education) is set by the state.  If the clerk gives you any BS about not accepting it, I'd be contacting VCDL to read them the riot act.

From the VSP web site on getting a CHP:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/cjis_cwp.htm

"The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:

1.     Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;"

For the record, I applied in Arlington. Plenty urban and liberal.  Then again, Templar, from what I've heard the Henrico and Richmond courts/cops are pretty screwy.

No problem with Arlington except the Sheriff's office fingerprinters didn't know that an SSN is NOT required on the fingerprint card and can be left off. They understood that it wasn't required on the CHP application, but claimed the FBI would reject the card if my SSN wasn't on it. BS.  They got an education that day.

lansker
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Crossbows are legal now for everyone!href=Link here

The store I work for has been selling them like crazy since they were made legal to hunt with.  Good 'ol VA is getting another $12.50 from people and now we have a state duck stamp to buy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Crossbows are legal now for everyone!

Link here

The store I work for has been selling them like crazy since they were made legal to hunt with.  Good 'ol VA is getting another $12.50 from people and now we have a state duck stamp to buy.

Where is it that you work and how much do you know about them?? I'm considering buying one...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:57:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I work for Dick's Sporting Goods in Richmond.  I know a fair amount about them, what questions did you have?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Which crossbow should I be looking at buying?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Go with one of the Parker crossbows.  They are light and very well balenced.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top