Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 6:19:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:22:54 AM EDT
[#1]
It seems like it.

Maybe they heard about how smart we are and assumed that no one else would be driving that way.

Serves em right.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Ahhh...Northern Virginia. How I despise thee. Let me count the ways...

If it involves I95 in that area, I generally skip straight to priceline and take an airplane instead.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, it's probably a lot of the usual Yankees headed southbound from Jersey and NY, so they probably didn't hear the news.  But, Marylanders ARE stupid, so it could just be that .
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#4]
they had signs all over telling the yankees to take the detour. If they were all coming from Jersey and got stuck there with the MDers, it serves them right too.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
they had signs all over telling the yankees to take the detour. If they were all coming from Jersey and got stuck there with the MDers, it serves them right too.

If we did that every weekend would the yankees go away?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Why is it when ever the car in front of  you is doing something stupid, the plates say Maryland?  I swear those people can't drive for shit.

G
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why is it when ever the car in front of  you is doing something stupid, the plates say Maryland?  I swear those people can't drive for shit.

What, and Virginia drivers are the cream of the crop?

As far as I can tell, Lincoln abolished the institution of the "turn signal" in addition to slavery, down here. I swear to God, Yahweh, Buddah, and the Dali Llama that I'm the only one in metro Richmond that even knows what that thing on the side of the steering column is for.

I've been in VA for 5 years, but I grew up in Boston and went to school in Philadelphia (which is full of Jersey people). Highest insurance and worst drivers by reputation. The only difference I can see is that the Boston and Jersey people are driving like dipshits ON PURPOSE, whereas the Virginia folks are simply oblivious. Frankly, I'm not sure which is worse.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as I can tell, Lincoln abolished the institution of the "turn signal" in addition to slavery, down here. I swear to God, Yahweh, Buddah, and the Dali Llama that I'm the only one in metro Richmond that even knows what that thing on the side of the steering column is for.

I've been in VA for 5 years, but I grew up in Boston and went to school in Philadelphia (which is full of Jersey people). Highest insurance and worst drivers by reputation. The only difference I can see is that the Boston and Jersey people are driving like dipshits ON PURPOSE, whereas the Virginia folks are simply oblivious. Frankly, I'm not sure which is worse.

You need to spend more time up here...there'd be no doubt which state has the worst drivers.  I swear, in Maryland, they just hand out licenses in specially marked cereal boxes.   And most likely, all the bad VA drivers you see are just TRANSPLANTED YANKEES FROM BOSTON.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:44:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need to spend more time up here...there'd be no doubt which state has the worst drivers.  I swear, in Maryland, they just hand out licenses in specially marked cereal boxes.   And most likely, all the bad VA drivers you see are just TRANSPLANTED YANKEES FROM BOSTON.  

Ouch
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:35:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I stand by my original assertion.

Let me add that cars with DC plates must have a restrictor that prevents them from going over 50 mph.  Beltway, 395, 495 - doesn't matter.  They're going 50 mph in the fast lane.

G
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:12:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I stand by my original assertion.

Let me add that cars with DC plates must have a restrictor that prevents them from going over 50 mph.  Beltway, 395, 495 - doesn't matter.  They're going 50 mph in the fast lane.

G

You'd drive that slow too if you lived in a city where they still use (and the courts have upheld) photo radar on the interstates.

Yes folks, that unoccupied, unmarked white crown vic on the side of the interstate in DC really CAN write you a ticket - that you'll get in the mail 2 months later with a nifty picture of your license plate.

Ask me how I know that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:21:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
And most likely, all the bad VA drivers you see are just TRANSPLANTED YANKEES FROM BOSTON.  

Nah. I can spot a Boston driver easily. Boston drivers will cut you off, signal the turn halfway through it (but at least they use the signal), then flip you the bird for getting in THEIR way. Then they stomp on the gas and keep things moving. NJ drivers are similar, but slightly more erratic and may not use the turn signal at all.

Virginia drivers just cut you off, no signal, as though you're driving Wonder Woman's invisible friggin car. Then they are so oblivious to what they have just done that flipping them the bird would be a waste of calories, as they would not notice this either. Then they putt along at 5 under, entirely unaware of the possibility that the person they just cut off might actually want to get somewhere, and again oblivious to the enormous cloud of brake dust that you just generated trying to avoid hitting them.

I will also say that I drove for about 6 years in Boston/Philly, and never actually saw an accident happen. In my FIRST YEAR ALONE in Richmond, I witnessed 4 serious accidents - including an SUV that just completely blew a red light at Boulevard and Broad at 45mph and creamed some poor kid in a Honda. Saw several near misses where people just flat out ran red lights as though they were green. The low level of brain function amongst drivers here is astonishing.

And folks, I'm not making this a North/South thing - obviously I like it here, or I wouldn't be living here. But good lord - driver's ed is your friend.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#14]
ever notice:

people drive like crap everwhere but they always blame it on people that are from other areas?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Shivan had it right in a previous thread like this.  Everybody in this area has a really f-ed up view of thier own self worth.  Nobody is as important as they are and therefore, looking in the rear view mirror, signalling your intentions, allowing a merge and even stopping on red is not required of them.  I think it started with upper level bureaucrats and has crept down to thier children and moved laterally to other adults who figure they must be as important as the next guy and acts like they are.  

Oh, and don't get me started on the HOV lanes and the "chosen ones" who are blessed enough to occupy the space my tax dollars pay for.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Good natured kidding about Boston/Yankee drivers aside, there does seem to be a surfeit of "me me me" folks on the road these days, no matter WHERE you are.  

I really do try to be courteous, but I don't see much reciprocation these days.  You barely even get a "thank you" wave from people you let merge ahead of you any more.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top