Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 1:11:46 PM EDT
I recently moved into Augusta County from NY. I just went to a Monro Muffler Shop to get my truck inspected. The guy pulling the car into the bay said "It wont pass, Your windshield is cracked" I asked if the state has a specified size that the state deems acceptable...he said "No". My neighbor said if its under 1 1/2" in diameter it's ok. Mine (star crack) measures under 1".

Is this ok?

Are Monro muffler shops bad new's? The place was dead at 3:30pm.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Check with the state on rule's for passing  vehicle safety inspection.

If they say its ok then your good to go and then tell them about the inspector who failed you. They'll pull his liscense quick.

But as far as I know cracks will fall you here but those stars(rock hits) on the windsheild may not be in the field of view of the driver as far as safety inwpection's.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The VSI has very specific statements about cracks in windshields.  If I remember correctly(it is a big book to remember everything) a star crack is allowed as long as it does not have more than 2 cracks originating from the same point of impact and is under 1 1/2 inches.  They should have a state inspection book there that has all this written in it.  I will look at work tomorrow to find the specifics.  If you think they are wrong or want to ask a state trooper then call the local Virginia State Police regional inspection office and they will help you.
Dan
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Lot of times you can find a smaller, family owned garage that will just honk your horn, check your lights and write you out a sticker.  I actually used to know a guy whose mechanic would just mail him his inspection sticker every year.  

Just be grateful you don't live in NoVa where they have an emissions check.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Off the VSP Website for your viewing pleasure.

I have a crack in my windshield and would like to know if it will still pass inspection.

In the Virginia Official Safety Inspection Manual, Section 19 VAC 30-70-210, page 210-2, paragraphs 7 and 8, states:

Inspect for and reject if:

7.    There is a pit, chip, or star crack larger than 1½ inches in diameter at any location in the windshield above the 3-inch line at the bottom.

8.    At any location in the windshield above the 3-inch line at the bottom there is more than one crack from the same point if at least one of the cracks is more than 1½ inches in length. There is any crack that weakens the windshield so that one piece may be moved in relation to the other. (If there is more than one crack running from a star crack that extends above the 3-inch line, the windshield shall be rejected.)

Danny
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a VW once that got a large bullzeye crack in it right in the field of view.   It would not have passed inspection as is.  I bought one of those kits at WalMart of all places.  I was amazed that the dang thing worked.  I was able to pass inspection as the only thing you could see after the repair was a tiny air bubble and a slight distortion where the density changed from glass to patch.

This is not the kit but very similar http://www.permatex.com/auto/autogr.asp?automotive=yes&f_call=get_item&item_no=16067

This is another type
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2007&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=glass

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#6]
For years I had a crack in the top passengers side of the windshield, never heard a word about it from the mechanic during inspection. One year I go back to the SAME mechanic I took it to for years and this time he says it "fails" due to the crack in the windshield. I mention to him that it had been there for years and he never said anything before. He said either he didn't notice it or it had started to get bigger (longer).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top