Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 6:50:55 PM EDT
Hello, I have finally gotten the itinerary from Blackwater. Getting them to approve this has taken me at least thirty emails and fifty phone calls over the past six months. I'm not joking, they are just that busy! Every time I would make some progress, my contact would move to another department. That meant starting basically from square one again each time.

We are going to try the first Phase II as a three-day class. Personally I think it's too much for three days, but lets see if it works. I'm trying to keep the costs down and the tempo up. It can always be bumped to five day class later. Student preparation will play a key role in how this works out. Is your weapon & optics (Primary+back-up) zeroed? Have they been properly tested and run trouble free for at least 1,000 rounds? Did you bring quality ammo? Have you been training with the skills you learned in Phase I? This is a very aggressive itinerary. Any time spent correcting weapons malfunctions, ammo problems, and zeroing issues will take away from everybody’s training.

"ARFCOM Group - Phase II - November 9-11,2005".

Cost: $825 - The extra $50 is for the Low Light section on Day II.

Itinerary:
(1.) Day One:
Welcome brief
Characteristics of the handgun
Load/Unload/Press check
Ready positions
Tactical/retention reload
Clearing malfunctions
Multiple shots on multiple targets
Speed reloads
Use of cover, shooting behind cover
Shooting on the move
Shooting moving target
State Department Qualification test (Handgun)
Rogers Range steel pop-ups

(2.) Day two:
Characteristics of the carbine
Fundamentals of shooting the carbine rifle
Zeroing Check - Lets hope its just a check.
Load/Unload/Press check
Barrel sight relation
Ready positions
Tactical/retention reload
Clearing malfunctions
Facing movements
Shooting positions
Pistol transition
Low light Pistol/Carbine – (One to two hours at the end of day.) – Introduction to low light shooting with hand held/weapon mounted lights (Handgun) and weapon mounted carbine lights.  

Day two is going to be a long day. The low light section is an add on, that will not take away from the rest of the days in itinerary.

(3.) Day three:
Use of cover
Shooting around barricades
Shooting moving targets
Shooting moving targets around barricades
Adverse angles
Sight management drills
Shooting on the move
Pistol transition
Precision shooting
State Department Qualification test (Carbine)
Range seven obstacle course
Shoot House - (Home Defense) room clearing -  I'm still not sure if this is going to be a walk through section or with live shooting. It is still a work in progress, but it is going to happen. It all depends on the opinion of the instructors teaching the class.

Please remember this is just a class outline. Blackwater knows each of us have been through the Phase I. This class should blow through the more mundane sections faster than the Phase I. The classroom downtime cannot be avoided. It is a Blackwater requirement and done for legal reasons. I was told even the Tier 1 guys have to sit through it. This class is designed specifically to build on the skills learned in Phase I and open the door to some of the more advanced training (Shoot House + Low Light).

You guys know the drill:

Equipment required:
Carbine rifle, sling, 4-6 mags, Carbine mag holder(tactical vest, harness, chest rig, etc.), weapon cleaning gear, Pistol, pistol holster, 3-5 pistol mags, pistol mag holder, eye+ear protection. Seasonal protective clothing depending on time of year for coarse. Coarse is held during any weather condition. Rain gear is suggested in any season.

Ammunition required: These should be considered minimums!
600 rounds of pistol ammo per student.
1200 rounds of carbine ammo per student.
(?) Carbine + pistol frangible ammunition for Shoot House - I have not gotten the word yet. I will let you know. ***All frangible ammo must be approved by Blackwater before it is used.***

***Blackwater Credential Policy***
BTC requires applicants for training to submit documentation of responsibility before they are accepted as students. Each student must submit ONE of the following credentials listed below and a photo copy of there current drivers license. These items are to be submitted with a fully completed BTC application.

Accepted Credentials (Need only one of the following):
(1.) Photocopy of current CCW
(2.) Criminal Background check from LEO agency - printed on there letterhead
(3.) Letter Of Good Character from, as an example, Church Pastor, Local Banker, or City Council Person.
(4.) Photocopy of active duty military ID card
(5.) Evidence of employment with Local, State, or Federal Law Enforcement Agency

Everybody must submit a BTC approved evidence of credential. In both Phase I classes most guys used a photocopy of there CCW or went down to there local police station and asked for a criminal background check.

Blackwater 2005 Training Application:
www.blackwaterusa.com/images/pdf/2005%20Training%20Application.pdf

I look forward to another great class. Both of the Phase I's were a huge success and that can be directly contributed to you guys. Blackwater had nothing but great things to say about either class. They would not have let us progress on without such professional and safe behavior.

You guys are the best ARFCOM has to offer in my opinion.

Please contact either Va_Dinger or Va-gunnut with any questions.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
ETA: Damn! That sure looks like a lot of stuff to cover in three days. I hope that we will move quickly through the stuff that was already covered in Phase I.

No question this is a very aggressive intineray. My goal is to keep the costs down and the tempo up. Time will tell if this is going to work. Blackwater would love for this to be a five day class, but I got a bunch of IM's + emails wanting a three day. Let's see if it works. If not, the Phase II will get bumped up to a five day class.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Not gonna do it unless it's 5 days, that's too much for three...sorry.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:55:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:03:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not gonna do it unless it's 5 days, that's too much for three...sorry.

+1
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:48:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Tag, hoping that it turns into a 5 day deal.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I am on the fence with this one....

While I would love to go, I might be changing jobs and won't have the leave built up.

A 5 day course is a bit much...

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#9]
You guys are killing me.

I received a bunch of IM's & emails before wanting a three-day. Guys mentioned time off from work and money concerns due to it being so close to the holidays. At least the majority said so. Would it be better to wait till after the first of the year? Obviously, the first Phase I guys will get the most say.

Please do not reply in this thread again about the length of the class. I'm going to post another thread with a poll. I want this settled once and for all. I'm trying to keep this thread strickly on the actual class itself.

Please see this thread about class length:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=24&t=207321
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:59:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Are we to expect a package in the mail like last year. ( Itinerary and Application ) ????
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Are we to expect a package in the mail like last year. ( Itinerary and Application ) ????

I wasn't planning on it. Va-gunnut just sent out an email containing the info for the second class and it seemed to work well. Why mail out the applications when everybody can just print out their own? All we need to do is provide the link. It worked well this spring and was allot less time consuming. Although this class will be a piece of cake compared to a Phase I. Everybody already knows the drill. Plus I won't have to sort through five hundred IM's and emails from guys interesting in attending. Only a small group can attend.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasn't planning on it. Va-gunnut just sent out an email containing the info for the second class and it seemed to work well. Why mail out the applications when everybody can just print out their own? All we need to do is provide the link. It worked well this spring and was allot less time consuming. Although this class will be a piece of cake compared to a Phase I. Everybody already knows the drill. Plus I won't have to sort through five hundred IM's and emails from guys interesting in attending. Only a small group can attend.

That's cool with me, but the link is not working ( Page could not be found ). If you are having the same glitch, let me know, otherwise I mayhave a problem somewhere on my end. BTH Nevermind, I went straight to the Blackwater website for the Training Application. What do We put down as the GROUP NAME
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's cool with me, but the link is not working ( Page could not be found ). If you are having the same glitch, let me know, otherwise I mayhave a problem somewhere on my end. BTH

No, it's not working for me either. Thanks for pointing that out. I will fix it later.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's cool with me, but the link is not working ( Page could not be found ). If you are having the same glitch, let me know, otherwise I mayhave a problem somewhere on my end. BTH Nevermind, I went straight to the Blackwater website for the Training Application. What do We put down as the GROUP NAME

I don't know. We have never came up with a true name for the class. Blackwater just used my last name for both of the other classes, but thats lame. I'm open to suggestions.

P.S. - I fixed the link.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know. We have never came up with a true name for the class. Blackwater just used my last name for both of the other classes, but thats lame. I'm open to suggestions.

P.S. - I fixed the link.

ARFCOM GROUP They know we are AR15.com contributing members, do they not ?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

P.S. - I fixed the link.

ARFCOM GROUP They know we are AR15.com contributing members, do they not ?

That will work.

I will call Blackwater in the morning for the name change.

The official name is now "ARFCOM Group - Phase II - November 9-11,2005". They always want the date added for these custom classes.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Dinger

When is the final date to decide on attending?  I will have moved back to Norfolk by then, but can't commit to that much money until I see what the job situation looks like as I get closer to retirement.

This is a pretty agressive training schedule for 3 days, especially with the reduced light hours available at that time of year.  You may want to consider eliminating some of the big time consumers such as the state department qualification course and stick with the training that presents new subject matter and repetition of some of the drills from Phase 1.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Dinger

When is the final date to decide on attending?  I will have moved back to Norfolk by then, but can't commit to that much money until I see what the job situation looks like as I get closer to retirement.

This is a pretty agressive training schedule for 3 days, especially with the reduced light hours available at that time of year.  You may want to consider eliminating some of the big time consumers such as the state department qualification course and stick with the training that presents new subject matter and repetition of some of the drills from Phase 1.

Colonel, I will always save a spot for you.

Blackwater always tells me the cutoff is one month before the class starts, but they have never made me stick to it. Remember "The_Ferret"(20’ A2 w/irons - I know this is bad, but I cannot remember his real name), I got him in with only seven days notice. It took a few phone calls and he had to overnight his paperwork & payment in, but he made it. Blackwater is also very flexible about the class size. At least to a point. I'm sure we can work something out.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
So, do you think we will have enough people for the class?

I'm not sure, this thread has been slow going though.

The Blackwater minimum is seven students for a class.

***Lesson learned*** - Plan classes right after the first of the year. Everybody still has money and vacation.

I guess we will just play it by ear for awhile with this class. If the interest does not pick up we can just kill it. It's not that big of a deal. We can just try again later. Blackwater is busy as hell, so they are not going to hold my feet to the fire over it.

This class will happen, if not now then later.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dinger

Blackwater always tells me the cutoff is one month before the class starts, but they have never made me stick to it. Remember "The_Ferret"(20’ A2 w/irons - I know this is bad, but I cannot remember his real name), I got him in with only seven days notice. It took a few phone calls and he had to overnight his paperwork & payment in, but he made it. Blackwater is also very flexible about the class size. At least to a point. I'm sure we can work something out.  

Dinger

Thanks, I am hoping to have a line on a post-retirement job soon. If I land a job then I should be in for the class.  I got an email today to contact a "technical recruiter" for a major defense contractor in Norfolk. I have my fingers crossed hoping for a job.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dinger

Dinger

Thanks, I am hoping to have a line on a post-retirement job soon. If I land a job then I should be in for the class.  I got an email today to contact a "technical recruiter" for a major defense contractor in Norfolk. I have my fingers crossed hoping for a job.

10-4, I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Please kill this thread.

I see no reason to hold this class when he can just attend 10-8 consulting classes for less money. I'm also sick of dealing with Blackwater over it.

I thinking of just holding the Phase I classes in the future. We can take all the "Phase II" level classes we want from 10-8 consulting right in South Hill for half the price.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Miss a few months... miss a lot....
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Please kill this thread.

I see no reason to hold this class when he can just attend 10-8 consulting classes for less money. I'm also sick of dealing with Blackwater over it.

I thinking of just holding the Phase I classes in the future. We can take all the "Phase II" level classes we want from 10-8 consulting right in South Hill for half the price.

What's 10-8 Consuting ?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Miss a few months... miss a lot....

Look who the cat dragged in!

I just sent you am IM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top