Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2005 5:43:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:28:01 AM EDT
[#1]
A lot of stores prefer to leave just about nothing up to interpretation...that's why they want things spelled out.  Last thing that they really want is a rookie ATF agent or someone who's had a bad day, come in and hastle them over a common abbreviation that for some reason, isn't making sense to that agent that day.
When I have folks fill out ppwk, I have them use abbreviations for on the Road, Street, Lane, etc and the state in which they resides (94% of the time that's VA).  Otherwise, please spell out everything else completely.

Nstg8r
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought I saw in the regulations one time to spell out everthing. I always do, space permiting. Next time I get a chance, I'll check that regulation.
On the other hand, if I had your "jing", I get me some of those "black guns".
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#3]
The only time I have been asked to spell out something on the form was the Q&A section.  I put 'y' and 'n' on the form, and the dealer requested I spell out the answers ('yes' and 'no').  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]
It is mandatory that there are no abbreviations on all federal and state forms.  Isn't the VA form great now!!!! alot fewer squares to fill out  No writers cramp at the end of the transaction.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I finally picked up my first, yes first, AR yesterday from VA Arms.  Bernie handled the transfer, a Bushy M4A3, from AIM Surplus.  The guys over at VA Arms are great.  I had my hands full with the baby and stroller and they offered to carry the rifle and bag of goodies I bought out to the truck.  Unfortunatelty I wasn't able to make it to the show in Chantilly over the weekend to pick up some ammo.

I didn't see an "Ammo" section under the Equipment Exchange.  What brands are you guys using and where should I look for good deals?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I finally picked up my first, yes first, AR yesterday from VA Arms.  Bernie handled the transfer, a Bushy M4A3, from AIM Surplus.  The guys over at VA Arms are great.  I had my hands full with the baby and stroller and they offered to carry the rifle and bag of goodies I bought out to the truck.  Unfortunatelty I wasn't able to make it to the show in Chantilly over the weekend to pick up some ammo.

I didn't see an "Ammo" section under the Equipment Exchange.  What brands are you guys using and where should I look for good deals?  Thanks.

Go to the Ammo Forum There is a lot of info there on what is good to shoot and links to sites that sell it in bulk.

ETA I use Remington UMC's, Winchester Q3131 or the Walmart value packs if there are any around, and Federal American Eagle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#8]
never had any problems filling out any of the forms. i just picked up a dpms lower from brownells at my ffl and abreavated everything the y and n and va and usa. no problems. this is the 4th firearms transaction i have done this year and filled them all out the same. but my ffl is a "good ole boy" so not many worries as long as it looks good to him.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#9]
On the Federal Form I used my VA Driver Lic number instead of my SSN for the first time.  The only thing Bernie asked me to correct was that I filled in my name First, Middle, Last instead of Last, First, Middle as asked on the form.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Just bought my first Bushy at Greentop in Hanover. The only thing I noticed was you had to show "legal presence" to buy an "assualt weapon". Good thing I brought my drivers license,concealed handgun permit and birth certificate. Other than that there were no surprises.

Anyone know of a private rifle range in the Richmond,Henrico,Hanover or Chesterfield area? I've been going to the Virginia Game Dept. range in Charles City county and it's not a very large range to shoot. Thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#14]
My dealer  the Trophy Room llc, in alexandria has had me filling out the forms like that since april(no abbriviations)when I got My twins(bushmaster's) & a Springfield 1911 and last week since I renewed my license he still ask me to fill it out the same way.

Originally posted by g-shooter

Isn't the VA form great now!!!! alot fewer squares to fill out No writers cramp at the end of the transaction.

First thing I noticed last week when I got my 870 and I 1st thing I said was did they change it againhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/kbi/870OD.jpg
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:15:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Just picked up my 2nd FN 5.7 pistol last week...this one is the USG model, where as my first was the IOM model...I think the trigger pull is a little longer, but not enough you would notice unless you REALLY payed attention.  I like it.  

-Ben
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:13:26 AM EDT
[#16]
greentop that strict? the state only requires 2 forms of id and only one needs to have a pic. i use my dl and my ccw. i have never heard of needing your birth certificate. if you dont have a ccw you can use a hunting or fishing lisences or your car registration. just as long as the two forms have the same address.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#17]
VA now requires proof of citizenship to purchase an "assault rifle", the definition of which is somewhat similar to the AWB list.  I bought a Bushmaster the other day and was surprised by it as well -- had to go home and get my voter's registration.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Hey! That was me who did your ppwk and carried out your new toy.  Hope you get to shoot it soon.
Nstg8r
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I had an AR transferred to a dealer about 30 minutes from home.  I spoke to them once about their policy on transfers (told 'em it was an AR),  and again when I called the day the FedEx site said it was delivered to ask when I could pick it up.  It wasn't until after I showed up with my 2 pieces of ID that they mentioned I needed proof of citizenship! Required another trip the next day.

Great service for a great $50 transfer fee and $2 background check.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#22]
That was a good deal. Can you tell us who you used?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top