Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2005 10:14:12 AM EDT
I'm moving to the extreme eastern edge of Henrico County.  Anybody know what the county rules are on firing rifles?   In case I get into NFA stuff soon, does anybody know whether the local LEOs are NFA-friendly and will sign off on NFA paperwork?
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is that the CLEO will not sign off.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 3:15:24 PM EDT
[#3]
D'oh.  Time to form that LLC...
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Henrico is the most unfriendly county regarding firearms in the Richmond area.

+1

i get the VCDL updates when they come out and Henrico Co. never fails to have a story.  

i dont know anything about the area other than i would not want to live there.  the county board are very anti-gun and try to pass anything they can to make the county anti-gun.  

if it wasnt for the people along with the help of the VDCL standing up against them it would be much worse im sure.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#5]
For the most part, Henrico County has no say in the matter (as VA has, in effect, state-level preemption).  The VA AG has published an Opinion stating that counties have no power to prohibit firearms from their parks/recreation areas, and counties are limited to specific powers granted to them by the Commonwealth. Gun control is not one of those powers, at least in Henrico.

They do not - so I'm told - sign off on NFA paperwork. So what. Form an LLC for $100 and avoid the fingerprint delay too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Nope, but they can drag their feet like you wouldn't believe.............

On what? The only thing you'd need to deal with them about is a CHP every 5 years, and they have 45 days to issue or deny that - and if they don't act within that period, your application receipt becomes a temporary CHP under recent VA law changes.

So, again...other than not signing off on NFA, which is easily circumvented, they have no power in the gun control area.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I do live in Henrico. Lived in City of Richmond for a year before that.

Open carry is a non-issue for me (I don't do it). I just don't see what ability they have to jerk me around - the CHP issue is a non-issue now, and even before the change in law all you had to do was file a bill or writ of mandamus in circuit court if they decided to take too long. I would also have no problem telling them to go pound sand if some liberal west ender complains about seeing my gun or the AR case going in and out of my trunk. If the people here or the cops don't like guns, they can go live in Canada or lobby the General Assembly.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 3:45:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm over the line in Hanover. Never had any problem getting or renewing my carry permit. Usually hear some shooting going on w/in a couple miles from home on any nice Sat. or Sun. afternoon.

Never tried open carry, but it's mostly boondocks where I live so nobody would see me anyway. Have to go in to west-end Henrico for most stores, etc. before it would become an issue. It's a different culture there -- lots of "come here's".
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:33:49 AM EDT
[#11]
see you guys are to nice. i would open carry just to piss people off even though i have a ccw. the thing is the more people see you with a gun the more comfortable they get around it. the cops or no one else has the right to harras you, if they do just remind them of your 2nd ammendment and tell them to go to hell. as far as the nfa if the sherriff wont sign off on it try the state police of the commonwealths attorney with a copy of the state law stating you have the right to purchase and own this weapon according to state and fedral law. the commonwealths attorney can not refuse you this right so he has to sign it once you can prove you have the right to own it. we have the same problem here in accomack co. the sherriff wont sigh off but the state attorney will. so good luck, and happy shooting.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:43:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Chief Stanley is not CHP friendly. But I've never had a problem getting or renewing my permit. Of course you have to follow the rules. I do carry concealed,never in the open,in the open just freaks out too many liberals.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:46:06 AM EDT
[#13]
What do you mean by Chief Stanley not being "CHP friendly?" He doesn't have any choice in the matter. The entire process is dictated by 18.2-308, and the Circuit Court - not the police department - makes the decision on whether to issue it.

Only thing the PD can do is prints and BI, which they then give the results of to the CC.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:00:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I didn't say he wouldn't process the paperwork,he has no choice there. But go to have the prints done and so on and  they"LOVE" to make you wait and look over the paperwork like you're John Dillinger. Trust me I worked for Henrico for years and I know how he feels about citizens carrying firearms. The judges are just as bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top