Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2005 7:53:36 PM EDT
Got a cousin who is moving down to Lynchburg in a month and he wants to know if he can keep his AR's. Is there any regulations or restrictions that would prevent him from bringing them with him? If so I told him I would gladly take good care of them for him!Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#1]
No problems.

If you buy an AR with w/ a 20rd or higher magazine in the package they must mark the sale form with "assault weapon" or some such bullshit, but there is no limitation on AR ownership.

In fact you can even file for SBR and such too......
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh wellhim.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 12:44:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Sure can and no registration for transfered weapons unless they are NFA.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:07:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you buy an AR with w/ a 20rd or higher magazine in the package they must mark the sale form with "assault weapon" or some such bullshit...

Really?  I didnt know that.  Is it just if it comes with a "hi-cap" mag?  Or is that if it accepts a hi-cap?  even though it dosent affect ownership, thats some serious BS for sure.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:55:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Also to purchase one in Virginia, you must present some form of  proof of U.S. citizenship.  It is a fairly recent state law, it seems some FFL's in the state may or may not realize this.  When I purchased an AR last March, the FFL handling the transaction needed to see my U.S. passport.  I am told a voters registration I.D. will also work and same with a U.S. birth certificate.  Again, this is only a requirement for purchasing an "assault rifle" in Virginia.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:03:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the correction Gunnut.  One time, I buy an AR and dealer doesn't ask for proof (Ban days), next time dealer wants to see (no Ban).  Go figure
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you buy an AR with w/ a 20rd or higher magazine in the package they must mark the sale form with "assault weapon" or some such bullshit...

Really?  I didnt know that.  Is it just if it comes with a "hi-cap" mag?  Or is that if it accepts a hi-cap?  even though it dosent affect ownership, thats some serious BS for sure.

It is for any center fire rifle or pistol that meets the following criteria:

Has a collapsing, or folding stock, the ability to accept a mag that holds more than 20 rounds, and is equiped from the factory with provisions to accept a sound suppressor or grenade launcher.

But the problem with the definition that the state uses, is that it is only defined IF A VIOLATION OF THE LAW HAS OCCURED.

YOu don't see it anywhere else as a definition.

And I even tried to get the state police to tell me where to find the definition that wasn't related to a violation, and they couldn't.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Because a post ban rifle couldn't have the flash suppressor, bayonet lug, or folding stock that classifies it as an "assault rifle" under VA law.

Perhaps I should have been clearer, the rifle I bought during the ban was a pre-Ban "assault rifle".
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Got a cousin who is moving down to Lynchburg in a month and he wants to know if he can keep his AR's. Is there any regulations or restrictions that would prevent him from bringing them with him? If so I told him I would gladly take good care of them for him!
Any Info would be appreciated.
Thanks.

He can keep them.

He and I need to hook up when he gets moved in. I'm about 25 minutes North of Lynchburg on Rt. 29 in Colleen.

Danny
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#12]
there is one state restriction on assault rifles, particularly ARs

If you own them you have to bring them out to ARFCOM shoots and expend massive quantities of ammunition
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
there is one state restriction on assault rifles, particularly ARs

If you own them you have to bring them out to ARFCOM shoots and expend massive quantities of ammunition

I forgot that one.

Oh, the brass HAS to BE given TO a Handloader if the owner does not roll his own.

I volunteer!

Danny
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top