Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2005 6:17:11 PM EDT
I heard we can shoot in George Washington national forest. I this true? I think it would be worth the hour or so drive to shoot cans instead of paper targets plus I guess it would be free.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#1]
generally speaking, shooting in designated areas of National Forests is OK, even carrying but be careful, your talking east coast.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
generally speaking, shooting in designated areas of National Forests is OK, even carrying but be careful, your talking east coast.  

I know it just sounds to good to be true being dc area. Where are the designated areas? thanks -rw
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#3]
They are listed in the ranges thread that is tacked at the top.

Hite Hollow is the one most often used by Arfcommers, but it is a few hours away.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I knew it was too good to be true. So I need to go to designated areas aka shooting ranges. Might as well keep going to the NRA range. Some ranger at Shenandoah national forest said firearms are not even allowed. Arg suck ass legal crap can’t have any fun...
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I knew it was too good to be true. So I need to go to designated areas aka shooting ranges. Might as well keep going to the NRA range. Some ranger at Shenandoah national forest said firearms are not even allowed. Arg suck ass legal crap can’t have any fun...

Shenandoah is a National PARK and that is a huge difference.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:23:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Any land operated by the National Park Service, Department of Interior is off limits to firearms and anything that could  be used for hunting.

Land operated by the US Forest Service, Department of Agriculture is fair game.  In Virginia we have the Jefferson and George Washington National Forests, as 7 mentioned, Shenandoah is a National Park
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:23:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any land operated by the National Park Service, Department of Interior is off limits to firearms and anything that could  be used for hunting.

Land operated by the US Forest Service, Department of Agriculture is fair game.  In Virginia we have the Jefferson and George Washington National Forests, as 7 mentioned, Shenandoah is a National Park

yes but even the George Washington National Forest web site rules say you need shoot at the areas like hite hollow. Sucks...I was hoping I could find a wilderness spot here in the northern part to shoot a little. thanks all.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I knew it was too good to be true. So I need to go to designated areas aka shooting ranges. Might as well keep going to the NRA range.

What is so wrong with using an 'official' range?  Maybe you're satisfied with paper targets at 50 yards, but being able to use other types of targets out to 150 yards makes Hite Hollow worth the drive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top