Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2005 9:05:52 AM EDT
I live in a jurisdiction (City of Alexandria) wherein the CLEO has made it a policy not to signoff on NFA act requests.   (I am otherwise lawfully able to possess such items).

Am considering going the LLC/INC route; I'd like an SBR equipped with a GemTech HALO ;) and possibly other items purely for investment purposes.  Not interested in becoming a dealer or manufacturer.

Anyone else done this in VA? Experiences, recommendations, helpful advice?

BT
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I live in a jurisdiction (City of Alexandria) wherein the CLEO has made it a policy not to signoff on NFA act requests.   (I am otherwise lawfully able to possess such items).

Am considering going the LLC/INC route; I'd like an SBR equipped with a GemTech HALO ;) and possibly other items purely for investment purposes.  Not interested in becoming a dealer or manufacturer.

Anyone else done this in VA?Yes

Experiences, recommendations, helpful advice? Find a local lawyer that will set up the paperwork for you.  Word of advice, tell them what you're trying to do and WHY up front.  I set up with a tax number, as well, in order to further expand my activities at a later date.  It shouldn't cost you any more than about $200+$100 state fee to set things up.  It's only a 1 page form for the state and $100 to LLC, with annual renewal, but the state rejected my form 3 times because of "Legal-eese" type statements that had to be on the forms and in the articles of incorporation.  
Online "incorporation kits" are nice and I looked into them, but you have NO ONE to ask what to do if it's not perfect for the state.  Oh, I also registered a fictious name for my business, so that no one else could use the name that I got, T&M Tactical, LLC, to go with my tax number, but neither of those two are required if all you're going to do is own your own arms without ever doing anything else.
Once I got everything set up, it took only 40 days from "Pending" on my supressors to "Approved" and stamp in hand.  Been down that road twice here in Norfolk.
Good luck.

BT

Link Posted: 5/14/2005 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#2]
get a lawyer almost your exact age for several reasons
talk to your local small business developer at your admistration building - get local business laws
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Move to an Alexandria mailing address outside of the city but within Fairfax county!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I didnt see this one when I posted earlier. I heard there was a cheaper method for people not desiring a tax id number with no anual report?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top