Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2005 9:01:55 AM EDT
So the end of this month I'm closing on a townhouse in Stafford (hopefully) and with my Christmas money I'm looking for my first safe.

I'm still very torn as to what to get.  First I think of one of the Walmart $200 10 gun units so I at least have combo locked storage...  Then I look at one of the 7/14 gun units for around $400 (again walmart) and like the shelving that's built in.  But, I think if I'm already going to go that far I might as well get one fire rated at $600.  But at that point you've gone from a 150lb safe to a 600lb one and need delivery and a couple guys to move it in...then you have to think about moving it out.

The kicker is I really don't have many things to lock up and after this closing I probably won't have the money to add to the family for a while anyway as the place needs some work done.  It's primarily to keep certain things out of the hands of your everyday burgler unless they manage to pry it off the floor...

What I'm lacking is a place to go see these things.  The Walmart in Fburg has a cheap 10 gun Liberty on what looks like closeout for like $150.  But of course jackasses say they don't have the combo so I can check it out.  After that, I've found one at Dick's but it's more money for a similar configuration.  What I need is to be able to compare them.

Is there any place between F'burg and NoVA that has a good low end safe collection that I can check out?  Or worst case, two or three places in close proximity that I can at least view one at a time instead of driving all over creation to do so?

Secondly, anyone want a couple beers for use of an afternoon of their time and their truck to help me move one?  Of course not if it's fire rated - I have no clue what I'll do if I go that far.  But I doubt it because I'm not sure I want to deal with the logistics of that plus the cash I save could buy a couple more lowers or something.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out Dick's Sporting goods at Spotsylvania Mall.  I just picked up a Remington S-17 (made by liberty) there for $599.  It weighs 400 lbs and with a heavy duty dolley, my dad and I easily moved it into my apartment in Alexandria (my parents live in Stafford).  They had a decent selection in the store two weeks ago.  A good mix of cheap cabinets ($150) up to a $1,200 Century Safe I think.   I definately recommend the Remington S-17...I have 13 rifles and 5 handguns + accessories/mags/etc with room to spare.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll have to take another look, I don't recall them having more than one that I would consider...but maybe they were short on floor stock.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Gander Mountain down in Fred'burg has a lot of safes but you'll have to figure out how to get it to your house.  Nice selection and price though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Gander Mountain down in Fred'burg has a lot of safes but you'll have to figure out how to get it to your house.  Nice selection and price though.

We read, in a newspaper article I believe, right before they opened up that they won't deal with "assault weapons."  Therefore I haven't stepped foot in there.  Not sure I want to, unless someone will price match something they have.

Stopped off at Dick's today and they had a Remmington 18 gun flex interior fire rated @1200 for I forget how long for $650.  Doesn't sound bad, my problem is I need a truck and definately another set of hands if not two more.

I've got time to shop.  Closing isn't until end of month and we move Feb 1.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We read, in a newspaper article I believe, right before they opened up that they won't deal with "assault weapons."  Therefore I haven't stepped foot in there.  Not sure I want to, unless someone will price match something they have.

Stopped off at Dick's today and they had a Remmington 18 gun flex interior fire rated @1200 for I forget how long for $650.  Doesn't sound bad, my problem is I need a truck and definately another set of hands if not two more.

I've got time to shop.  Closing isn't until end of month and we move Feb 1.

Dicks won't sell any firearms or handguns I can't remember which but you'll shop there?  But not at Gander Mountain?  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Dicks won't sell any firearms or handguns I can't remember which but you'll shop there?  But not at Gander Mountain?  

They can sell whatever they like.  In the article Gander said their smiths will not work on anything but a 'hunting' gun which irks me more.  If Dick's has the same policy then they can eat me too but I wasn't aware Dick's did servicing.  Usually it's more about the attitude that comes off from a company that sours me more.  The fact they did a "we don't like your kind around here" routine pisses me off even more so those tend to be the places I avoid the most.  If I cut myself off from every single company that didn't like 'evil' guns than I'd end up clothes shopping at army surplus.

I prefer to support a local shop which is why I started this thread to find out if anyone knew of one that had a selection of entry level safes other than the chain stores.  There's a security shop downtown that apparently sells some but I haven't yet talked to them to see what they have and at what price.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#8]
That makes more since now.  Check out www.vasafeandlock.com  Thats where we got our Liberty.  It was close to 2K delivered, strip lighting added, digital lock , power strip inside and goldenrod.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top