Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2004 3:01:34 PM EDT
I'm in Henrico County and am looking to run power out to my shed.  Was wondering if anyone knew what the code is as far as the depth that the wire has to be buried.  I'm assuming that with direct burial it has to be below the freeze line, whatever that is.  Is the requirement less if I'm running the wire through PVC conduit?  I looked around the Henrico County website a little and found nothing.  Anyone know?

Thanks for any info, and sorry for the completely non-firearm-related post..

Regards,
Argus
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:11:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I used UF (underground feeder) cable and a trencher to bury it about 3 foot deep.

Don't know the code but it is still working.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm not sure of the code, but here is something else to consider. If the shed is considered a temporary building and you run power to it, it may become a permanent out building. This could then raise your property taxes.

Because of that very issue, I've seen people run power to a pedestal beside the shed, then wire an extension cord end to the breaker box that they then plug into the pedestal
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Direct burial - 24"
Metal Conduit - 6"
PVC Conduit - 18"
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info.  In any case it looks like I'll be renting a trencher.  Running the line to a pedestal next to the shed is a good idea; I'll have to keep that in mind.

Now back to the election...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top