Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2004 6:18:11 PM EDT
When moving from one jusrisiction to another do you need to have your permit updated with your current address so it matches your DL? The reason I ask is the clerk of the court in my new locality said no, but it just feels wierd not having the permit and DL match. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 4:09:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Supposedly optional - as long as your DL is current. Had a fairfax one for 3 years when i moved to Loudoun and i didn't bother changing - but then again i never had the opportunity to have to show my permit. I did check with both Fairfax AND loudoun and they said it was ok.

Same with my Florida one - i emailed and called as well and they said no problemo as long as the DL is current - and the State was informed of the change of address which i did.

Now i am all current with my 3rd VA and 2nd FL renewal.

DD
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Not needed.  I asked VA State Police when I moved to Fairfax from Kingston.  Do it on your renewal but at the same time cannot be used as second ID for purchase if the address does not match.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#3]
If you dont change it you cant use it as your second ID when purchasing a firearm.  Not sure if that matters or not but I'd change it for just that reason.

I buy a lot of shit.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I moved from Alexandria to Lake Ridge 2 years ago.  I was told it didn't need to be changed.  Of course, I had to renew it shortly after my move, so it didn't really matter.  

LHD makes a good point that didn't occur to me, since I always use mine as my 2nd form of ID.  However, you might find it is a bigger hassle to get an updated permit (i.e. you moved to Fairfax)than to just wait until it expires.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top