Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2004 7:51:16 PM EDT
What is the law concerning rifles in trucks?
Have been thinking about keeping my AR or AK in the truck full time (minus the trips to DC!!), and don't know if it's legal or not.
What's the skinny?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Uhh, I'll dig out my book to verify but I'm pretty sure you can't have a mag over 20 rounds. I don't think they can be loaded and the ammo and mags have to be in a seperate(from the rifle) part of the vehicle. Both have to be locked.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:09:00 AM EDT
[#2]
That can't be right.  Virginia considers a firearm to be unloaded if the chamber is empty.  I don't know about the rest of the regs, but I do know that the game laws oly forbid a rifle from being loaded in the vehicle.  No requirement to lock it, nor even to have them in the trunk.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:12:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Uhh, I'll dig out my book to verify but I'm pretty sure you can't have a mag over 20 rounds. I don't think they can be loaded and the ammo and mags have to be in a seperate(from the rifle) part of the vehicle. Both have to be locked.

Your source?
I'm not getting your interpretation from VA law and I don't see anything about mag capacity listed here.

www.vsp.state.va.us/cjis_trans_fire.htm
www.vsp.state.va.us/cjis_gunlaws.htm

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok, like I said I'll have to check on it. What's the worse that would have happened? He would have been clear of breaking the law. Where can I find the definition of a loaded firearm?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm still looking for the actual definition of unloaded with regard to rifles, but here is what the hunting regs say about Muzzleloaders:

"For the purposes of transportation in a vehicle, muzzleloading firearms are considered "unloaded" when all powder has been removed from the flashpan, or the percussion cap has been removed from the nipple. For complete safety, a muzzleloader should be emptied by shooting into soft ground. "

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your source?
I'm not getting your interpretation from VA law and I don't see anything about mag capacity listed here.

www.vsp.state.va.us/cjis_trans_fire.htm
www.vsp.state.va.us/cjis_gunlaws.htm

I think he's using this law without noticing the "uncommon sense" definition used for firearm. Note that it only applies in cities or counties with "urban executive" or "county manager" governed counties.

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded firearm on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public (i) in any city with a population of 160,000 or more or (ii) in any county having an urban county executive form of government or any county or city surrounded thereby or adjacent thereto or in any county having a county manager form of government. The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid permit to carry such firearm or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

For purposes of this section, "firearm" means any (i) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Poodleshooter, your right. I forgot that first part. All I could remember was the 20 rd part. Who has that form of Gov't? I live down here in VA Beach, pop. ~430,000 I think.

Where can I find the exact definition in writing of the VA definition of a loaded firearm?

I hereby sentence myself to 50 lashes on the main mast for putting out incorrect information.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#8]
No worries,happens to the best of us. Go here for VA statutory law: leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm
Now, I'll engage in speculation without backup: I think this only applies to Fairfax County and Alexandria :D
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been on that webwite for a while today and still can't find it. I can only find this.

§ 15.2-915.2. Regulation of transportation of a loaded rifle or shotgun.

The governing body of any county or city may by ordinance make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. Any violation of such ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100. Game wardens, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce the provisions of this section. No ordinance adopted pursuant to this section shall be enforceable unless the governing body adopting such ordinance so notifies the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries by registered mail prior to May 1 of the year in which such ordinance is to take effect.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to duly authorized law-enforcement officers or military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business.

(1976, c. 506, § 18.2-287.1; 1977, c. 377; 1989, c. 50; 2004, c. 462.)
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#10]
In Maine,

it's standard procedure to have a high powered rifle in your vehicle when you're north of Augusta.  It's sorta like carrying jumper cables and a 12 pack of domestic beer cause you never know when you're gonna need it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
§ 15.2-915.2. Regulation of transportation of a loaded rifle or shotgun.

The governing body of any county or city may by ordinance make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle   in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. Any violation of such ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100. Game wardens, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce the provisions of this section. No ordinance adopted pursuant to this section shall be enforceable unless the governing body adopting such ordinance so notifies the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries by registered mail prior to May 1 of the year in which such ordinance is to take effect.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to duly authorized law-enforcement officers or military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business.

(1976, c. 506, § 18.2-287.1; 1977, c. 377; 1989, c. 50; 2004, c. 462.)

Key word here is loaded.  

Quoted from Hydguy:
What is the law concerning rifles in trucks?
Have been thinking about keeping my AR or AK in the truck full time (minus the trips to DC!!), and don't know if it's legal or not.

Yes Tim as long as it's not loaded.  Nothing saying it's illegal if it's unloaded and nothing about mag capacity of a 'unloaded' rifle.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Guess I need my 922(r) compliance parts soon!!

The AK will be the beater truck rifle...

BTW, gotM4, you still have the link to the place you got your sticker from?

I forgot it, and want to get a few stickers made....

THanks!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
In Maine,

it's standard procedure to have a high powered rifle in your vehicle when you're north of Augusta.  It's sorta like carrying jumper cables and a 12 pack of domestic beer cause you never know when you're gonna need it.

But Hokie
You live in the real America still
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

THanks!

www.powercallsirens.com/css.htm
I understand that you need a certain amount now as a mininum order  I'm in for 1 more if you need to make the quota.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Now you need to post the pic... I forgot how you had it layed out..
THinking of having my screen name verticle and the special lettering horizontal...

What size is your sticker?

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:38:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Poodleshooter, your right. I forgot that first part. All I could remember was the 20 rd part. Who has that form of Gov't? I live down here in VA Beach, pop. ~430,000 I think.

Where can I find the exact definition in writing of the VA definition of a loaded firearm?

I hereby sentence myself to 50 lashes on the main mast for putting out incorrect information.

It does include Virginia Beach, Chesapeke, Norfolk and Richmond because of population, as well as Fairfax, Arlington, Loudon, and Prince William counties due to the "executive" form of government.  Henrico is also included, due to the "county manager" form of govt.  There's probably others as well.

In Hampton Roads, you need to leave your 30rd mags at home and walk around with a 20rd mag in your AR.

Ross
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:18:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I figured that but wanted someones opinion due to my earlier performance. I can't wait to get back to the country! I still can't find the definition of a "loaded" rifle or shotgun. For now I need to buy more 20 rounders.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:06:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In Maine,

But Hokie

You live in the real America still

sorry guys....I didn't see the "Virginias" forum.......as you can tell I seek and post on threads as I blindly peruse "Active Topics"

This Maine hick will trouble you no more!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#20]
A hick from Maine who calls himself a Hokie?  Come on man... with that user name, you can fit in here without too much effort.  I just assumed you went to Tech.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Gawd!

It anit nuthin t'see folks round hure ridn round in thur truks wither es kay es's an a thurtee roun clip in em on thur gunraks.  

Ya'll worriee to much
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
THanks!

www.powercallsirens.com/css.htm
I understand that you need a certain amount now as a mininum order  I'm in for 1 more if you need to make the quota.

What kind of stickers are you guys looking to have made? The Powercallsirens.com webpage
belongs to Dave, one of the guys who runs with Sterling Fire. (I run with Rescue, we all share the
same station.) Dave's shop is over along Nokes Blvd. If you have any questions, I can ask him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top