Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 4:54:20 PM EDT
Hey all,    Just bought my first AR at the nations gun show in Chantilly. I finally shot it last weekend It is awesome. I ran about 400 rounds through it. I cleaned it and it took me well over an hour, I had a friend of mine who previously was a marine and he said it was still dirty. My question is how long does it take everybody to clean their AR's and what are your cleaning habits. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Cleaning board.

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=7

Some people don't clean and others go to the extreme.  I spend about 20 minutes.  Run a patch through the barrel, take the bolt apart and clean and clean the chamber area.  Run a brush and a few patches through the barrel and put back together.  

If you want it really clean get a parts washer and completely wash all parts.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on what you want it for, how obsessive you are, etc...  My cleaning time is dependant on what is on TV.  I basically do a quick clean after each range session (2-4 passes with a bore snake after a brief soak, wipe bolt and carrier, lightly brush and wipe inside upper).  Every month or so I give additional attention.

It's not that finicky, but I'm not concerned about it looking spotless or shooting one hole at 300 yards.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, I'm probably going to get crap for this, but I just recently cleaned my AR and it took me approx. 4 hrs total time over 2 evenings for a complete cleaning.  Of course, I was taking my time and wasn't in a hurry to "Git 'er done!"  I was also trying out the new Outers Foam Bore Cleaner, which, once applied, has a 15 minute waiting period to let it work.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Its pronounced "Marine" not "marine"
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:28:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hey all,    Just bought my first AR at the nations gun show in Chantilly. I finally shot it last weekend It is awesome. I ran about 400 rounds through it. I cleaned it and it took me well over an hour, I had a friend of mine who previously was a marine and he said it was still dirty. My question is how long does it take everybody to clean their AR's and what are your cleaning habits. Thanks in advance for any insight.

I take me about 15-20 min.  It's needs to be clean and lightly oiled but not sterile.  God Bless them but the USMC really overcleans they're stuff.  That's cool for Boot Camp and routine inspection but many more parts are worn out by excessive cleaning (i.e. barrels, especially at the muzzle).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top