BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2004 8:57:33 PM EDT
is this a dead law now?

thanks for any help

Chris
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a CC you can buy a metric bajillion pistols at one time.  Otherwise we dont trust your shady ass, BACK OF THE LINE.  *pokes with a stick*
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:49:03 AM EDT
[#3]
IIRC nyou may also fill out an application form with the State Police that will let you get more than one in a month.  That way if you run across that once-in-a-lifetime deal on a Navy Luger and you just bought a P-38 last week, you can still "enhance your collection".  

Best thing to do is just get your CCW.

Ross
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:30:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:06:10 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're paperwork-phobic...  

There is a federal law/regulation that requires dealers to report sales of multiple handguns to any single person in a five-day period.

Solution:

1) Wait more than five days if buying from the same dealer
2) Buy from different dealers

Otherwise, it's all covered above.

(info is on the ATF web site...I'm trying to locate the reference)
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:55:38 AM EDT
[#6]
thank you for the info. :(
guess I gotta wait. SIGH!

Chris
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Chris

While your waiting (this time), start the process of getting your CCW.  You won't have to wait the the the next time AND your permit counts as an official second ID when purchasing a firearm.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#8]
The law still in effect so please budget accordingly.

I think is says you must purcahse one pistol each month. It specifically states that ARFCOM members must also buy one rifle each month.

Oh well, try this post with the better half so she knows why you're spending all the money. After all, if you find it on the internet, it must be true.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#9]
actually going to work on the CCW permit too. thank you
Chris
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#10]
LMAO, she said. No chance   But nice try.
thanks for the info and alibi.

Chris

Quoted:
The law still in effect so please budget accordingly.

I think is says you must purcahse one pistol each month. It specifically states that ARFCOM members must also buy one rifle each month.

Oh well, try this post with the better half so she knows why you're spending all the money. After all, if you find it on the internet, it must be true.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

While your waiting (this time), start the process of getting your CCW.  You won't have to wait the the the next time AND your permit counts as an official second ID when purchasing a firearm.

In the past I've used it but I was just told recently that it would not count as the second form even though it has my name and address on it.  Do you have a link to an ATF or VA ruling on that?  I'd like to point it out to the dealer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:10:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Your dealer is incorrect, misinformed or hasn't bothered to find out that a CHP is acceptable.  I use mine as my secondary form of ID every time, since I always have it with me.  I've never had an issue with a dealer not accepting it.

Here is a link to a Virginia Firearms Transaction Program newsletter that specifically states that a CHP is acceptable.

Here is a link to the VA State Police Criminal Justice Information Services.  See the paragraph on Secondary Identification.  It doesn't specifically state a CHP as a valid ID, but does state that the ID "must show an address identical to that shown on the primary form of identification."  Your CHP does that AND its a government (state) issued ID.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:19:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

In the past I've used it but I was just told recently that it would not count as the second form even though it has my name and address on it.  Do you have a link to an ATF or VA ruling on that?  I'd like to point it out to the dealer.

No problem using a CHP as a second ID at VA Arms, but then again VA Arms is always 'in the know'!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

That dealer is wrong.

A second form can be a vehicle registration, voter registration. a check, a utility bill, a bank statement (not a credit card bill) a passport, or a govertment issued ID that has the same address as your primary ID.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I always use my voter registration card as a second ID.
that works everytime.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:58:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I always use my voter registration card as a second ID.
that works everytime.

Chris

Voter registration card works great.  I can't use my CHP because the address doesn't match my other ID (moved shortly after renewing).
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#18]
why don't you use your vehicle registration card? that's got all that on it, and it should be in your wallet anyway....
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:14:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
why don't you use your vehicle registration card? that's got all that on it, and it should be in your wallet anyway....

Why should it be in your wallet?

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:44:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because if its in your car and someone steals it, they have your registration.  If the cars not yet reported stolen or hasnt been updated in the police database he gets a ticket.  If he doenst have your registration he gets a flashlight up the butt.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:16:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because if its in your car and someone steals it, they have your registration.  If the cars not yet reported stolen or hasnt been updated in the police database he gets a ticket.  If he doenst have your registration he gets a flashlight up the butt.

I'd be interested in finding out the real statistics on just how many stolen cars with registrations actually "just get a ticket" and move on, as opposed to flee, ditch, or get the "flashlight..".  I'd be willing to bet it's such a small number in reality as to be insignificant.  Somehow that officer isn't going to notice there's no key in the ignition, there's a gaping hole in the steering wheel where the key would go, the wheel's sawed in half where your "club" was, the driver doesn't know the tag number, the driver doesn't match that registration of your car and can't tell you what the address of his "friend" who loaned him the car without giving him the key, so he had to smash the window and hotwire it, etc?  I think most cops would catch on before "just giving him a ticket" in real life.  

If you have several drivers and several cars, it only makes sense to leave what the driver needs in each vehicle.  I'm not going to hunt down members of my family to find paperwork anymore than I'm going to hunt them down to find car keys.  Each vehicle has the registration and insurance card for that vehicle.  Each driver has a set of keys for everything.  If a car gets stolen, it will show up abandoned in a couple days (experience talking here).  Yeah, it will be trashed, but I seriously doubt the car theif will have just gotten a ticket and drove off with the officer not being the wiser that the guy's name didn't match the registration and has a rap sheet a mile long for GTA, drugs, etc.

Hey, if it works for you, great.  It won't work for me, and it won't have any effect on getting the car back in real life.

Ross
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If you have several drivers and several cars, it only makes sense to leave what the driver needs in each vehicle.  I'm not going to hunt down members of my family to find paperwork anymore than I'm going to hunt them down to find car keys.  Each vehicle has the registration and insurance card for that vehicle.  Each driver has a set of keys for everything.  

+1

Incidentally, I had the mismatched addresses on DL and CCW once after a move.  I placed many calls to both old locale and new locale and the state police.  No completely solid resolution, but the general gist was that since the CCW was issued by a VA Circuit Court, it's valid, even if the address isn't up to date.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top