Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 10:51:34 AM EDT
I stopped by the NRA range for the first time today to try out my first AR. I did the test and filled out the forms. Does the NRA do anything with my contact information? Will I be receiving stuff in the mail? What is the purpose of the card? The waiting list was extensive, so I decided to leave. I'll try again some other time.

I was there at noon. Is the NRA range usually that busy? Or perhaps a lot of people shoot during their lunch break? Which brings me to another observation. I noticed a lot of formal/business attire. I was wearing jeans and a sweater and felt somewhat underdressed. Is there an unwritten dress code I should be aware of?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never been there on a Friday so I don't know what is typical.  Keep in mind that a lot of NRA employees shoot and they have to use the range at the same time as the rest of us.  Its likely the folks you saw in suits were NRA employees on lunch.

Evenings can be crowded, but if you get there right when it opens or after 8, its usually not too bad.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Ha, under dressed for the nra range?  No, I show up in my wolf shirts and old stained BDU pants on the weekends when I have a new toy.  The stains are usually a result of the new toy.  

Its very busy but its also a nice range.  I dont think they do anything other than the normal stuff you get in the mail being a member.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I was there between 10 and 11 this morning.

There were a lot of people milling about when I showed up, but the range itself wasn’t crowded and there were several vacant points when I left.  I’m thinking maybe there was a class in the classroom that hit the range after I left.

Also, more shooters tend to show up with bad weather.

Whenever possible, I try to show up when the place opens.  It can get hectic, especially on weekends and holidays.

You’ll need the card each time you shoot to show that you completed the test.  The card also shows how much you should be charged for range time (annual member, or NRA member paying hourly, or non-NRA member paying hourly).  

Wear anything you want – that’s not an issue.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I've only been once, a couple weeks ago. Sunday about 10am. Only about 3 or 4 people there. I wore T-shirt and jeans.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I think we're starting to see the hunters come out.  I saw some guys shooting 7mm mag and 30.06 in 6-8 inch groups at 50 yards.

Oh joy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for putting up with my goofy questions.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#8]
The last time that I was there with mjohn3006 & NoVaGator they started turning people away because it was so crowded.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:44:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I usually go on Wed or Thur evening.  Thurs is usually not bad at all.  Wed is usually hectic but when I went last Wed there was bad traffic and apparently everybody was stuck in it.  I went in at 7 and there were several lanes open but by 8 there was a long waiting list.

Sunday is usually very easy to get in especially in the morning.  Twice now I've gone on Sunday morning and had the range to myself.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#10]
All this talk makes me glad I'm a member of Lafayette, 24/7 access sure is sweet

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:36:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I went there with the Mrs. this past Sat. afternoon, we got there the same time as about 20 other people.

Whichever one of you had the g-d ported .45, that's TOO LOUD for an indoor range.  AR-10 right next to us wasn't that loud.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I went there with the Mrs. this past Sat. afternoon, we got there the same time as about 20 other people.

Whichever one of you had the g-d ported .45, that's TOO LOUD for an indoor range.  AR-10 right next to us wasn't that loud.

I was there sat pm too with my wifey and my 2 daughters.  I think it was mid afternoon - it wasn't crowded but by the time we left, the lanes where filling up.
DD
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#13]
A lot of folks shoot at lunch...hence the higher proportion of business attire.  Come in on a weeknight around 8:00, and you'll see a whole lot more jeans and t-shirts.  Cool thing about the NRA range is it's open til 10:00pm, and it's very black rifle friendly.  

If you stay around to shoot after you do the test, they'll make you out a range membership card right there....you should have gotten that already.You don't have to be an NRA member to use the range, but you do get a discount on range time if you belong to the NRA.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Isn't it Black Tie only on Saturday evening?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top