Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2004 3:59:03 AM EDT
For all of you 2nd District folks watching the congressional race between David Ashe (D) and Thelma Drake (R)...

Ashe was on radio station WNIS (AM 790) this morning.  I called and asked him his position on gun control issues, with specific emphasis on the recently expired AWB.  His response was one sentence (paraphrased): "I am a Second Amendment supporter, and I would have voted to extend the AWB."  At that point, I lost my cell signal (of all times to lose it...) and could not respond.

When I called back, one of the folks at the station told me that Ashe would be on again tomorrow from 9 AM - 10 AM taking questions, and that I should feel free to call back and take him to task.  I plan to do so, but I wanted to let the rest of you know as well...  If you want to call in, the number is 757-627-7979.

If you live in the 2nd District, pass the word along that Ashe would have extended the AWB if given the chance.

- Bill
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:44:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't worry, the NRA sent me a Thelma Drake sticker which is on the rear window of my truck.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I am military assigned in New York, but still own my house in Norfolk and am making damn sure to drive down to vote for Thelma Drake as well as for GW.

What are the poll numbers for Drake vs Ashe?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's another vote for Drake!  Her pro 2nd Amendment record is encouraging.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#4]
According to his website he is a second amendment support and thinks we should enforce existing laws.  I just emailed him and asked him if he wanted to elaborate on that.  I'll keep you guys posted.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#5]
If I remember correctly, he was quoted in a recent Daily Press write-up as "supporting the 2nd Amendment with reasonable restrictions."  The same drivel every other anti-gun jerk politician out there seems to be saying these days.  He didn't return the NRA's survey, he supports "reasonable restrictions," and he has stated that John Kerry offers the right leadership for the country.  That pretty well answers any questions I had about him.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Ashe is a democrat and he is going with their platform.  I'm in the 3rd district and we get to vote for the black of our choice since we were gerrymanded 70% black after the last census.
I'm supporting Winsome Sears. She's a republican and the NRA gave her a B+ rating.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#7]
District 7 here...  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info; I was wondering who to vote for in this race. Now, I know its Drake. I've noticed Ashe has some flashy T.V. commercials running about his service in Iraq and volunteering to help at the  9/11 trade towers site. I have yet to see a single commercial from Drake.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:02:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Good exchange of info here guys!   I have to vote this week because I'll be traveling the week of the 2nd so I have to make my decisions a little early this year.    Yeah, like they are hard decisions huh?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top