Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 5:53:52 PM EDT
What do you think of the VSP going to double action only Sigs?

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I work for a contractor to the Federal Government and I am armed with a DAO Sig P226 9mm. It has a trigger pull of 11 to 12 lbs.  Its takes a lot of getting used to to learn to shoot that pistol well. I usually shoot 275 to 280 out of a possible 300 when I go to the range every six months. One thing that I didn't expect is that my shooting away from work has gotten better. I guess I am more aware of trigger squeeze/control now.

Overall, I would have to say that although I appreciate that Sig is the Cadillac of pistols, having a DAO Sig just makes no sense to me. I would prefer to have my Glock 22 as an issue pistol.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll see a few Troopers Sunday at a get together and will drop the question and get back with you all on their opinions.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I evaluated a Sig DAO for my former agency when they first came out maybe 8 years ago.  My personal opinion was that they had truly turned a silk purse into a sow’s ear.

The heavy trigger pull was bad, but even worse for me was the weak trigger return spring combined with the true DA mechanism (unlike, say, a Glock where the mechanism is actually partially cocked).  I found I had to deliberately move my trigger finger forward after firing a round to allow the trigger to fully reset.

Sig has since redesigned both the mainspring and the trigger return spring, so it’s probably not as bad as it used to be.

OTHO, I ran the range where I used to work and I occasionally saw employees start to holster cocked (and loaded!) Sigs, so I certainly can see the advantage of DAO!!

Frankly, while I think Sigs are fantastic SA/DA pistols, there are IMHO far better so-called DAO pistols out there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#5]
If they're going to SIGs with the new DAK trigger they'll like it.  It's very easy to shoot well with it.  I've shot a 229 DAK demo that Todd Green of SIGARMS let me shoot and it wasn't bad at all for DAO if felt very similar to a Glock but without the staple gun feel and bounce.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:03:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
felt very similar to a Glock but without the staple gun feel and bounce.

I have never been a Sig fan but the DAO has got to lower scores during qualification. Every DAO I have ever shot has had a horrible trigger pull. Hope the DAK system makes life a little better.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:35:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Like previously mentioned, the new Siga are DAK, which have a DA pull of (theoretically) 6-7 lbs, not 11-12 of true DAO.  I handled a Trooper's 229 last week, and to be honest I kind of liked it.  The trigger reset is still fairly long, but the pull is smooth and much lighter than the initial DA of a DA/SA model.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:10:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't know much about the new DAK's - I'm just hoping this means Hallmark Ent. will be running another special on police rebuild Sigs in a few months

Black Fox
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#9]
LEO's that carry DAO do it because they are required to. You lose something carrying a DAO pistol. Unless you have to, don't. I've spent some serious coin training @ SigArms and shooting DAO sucks the wazzooo. Virtually no one carries DAO if they have the option not to.....
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'll see a few Troopers Sunday at a get together and will drop the question and get back with you all on their opinions.

Danny

They didn't show, darn.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#11]
VSP are going to the DAK  SIG and thusfar scores have gone up for the weaker shooters    I recently retired  and was a firearms instructor for over 14 years with VSP  very fine weapon system.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#12]
What ever happened to the Berreta?  DA for the 1st shot and its all ready locked for the second.  And as far as stopping power, a couple mags of Corbon +P should do the trick!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top