Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2004 3:53:45 AM EDT
Okay guys -  Any of you know where I can take a deer to get it processed in the NoVA area?  I live in Lake Ridge, so it would be nice to find one fairly close to there.  I have heard that there is a place in Manassas near old town, but don't know the name of it.
I would do the job myself, but since I live in a condo that doesn't allow me the room to do it - unless I want to hang a gambrel hook in my living room.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:16:12 AM EDT
[#1]
tagged for NoVA area.

There are a few places down south of Staunton but some have quit doing it too.  

May be a side business to start up for someone with the room and knowledge.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:37:49 AM EDT
[#2]
The place near Manassas is "Linthicum". They do a good basic job. You will get freezer cuts wrapped in butcher paper. They can send meat out for sausage, jerky etc. I will probably use them again this year.

"Springfield Butcher" will also process dear. I think they cut the meat nicer and they wrap it like a super market. However, they can be VERY difficult to deal with. They are not particularly friendly towards hunters (at least not me) and are a bit rude. They will not save the skin for you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I live in Manassas and mainly do it myself, otherwise I use T&R Processing in Winchester.  They are quite a bit cheaper than Linthicum or Manassas Frozen Foods, and they do their own bologna, hams etc.  You won't be disappointed.  I took three deer to them last year and plan on going back.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:13:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I use Blue Ridge Meats in Sterling, just north of Dulles Airport off Rt 28.  They do standard butcher cuts, bologna, sausage, or however you want the deer processed (e.g. half and half, save the loins and grind the rest, etc.)  It's a family-owned business and they are wonderful people.

I was in line last year behind another hunter who had a nice buck.  At the hunter's request they immediately removed the head/neck and enough skin from the shoulders so that he could have it mounted.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#6]
MIFCO in old town Manassas does it.  I haven't used them in years.  They used to charge by the pound and charged extra for skinning.  I didn't find them very convenient.  

Linthicum  is VERY convenient and do a nice job with packaging.  They are great for custom cuts and will save skin and antlers.  I've also stopped using them becuase of excessive hair in the meat.  If anybody can prove to me that they have figured out how to prevent this, I'll use them again.  

Springfield Butcher is fantastic, but not terribly convenient.  Contrary to the experience of others, I have found them very hunter friendly.  Just pull your truck to the back and unload.  They are a retail shop so don't expect to trade stories with them.  They are an in and out opperation.  I've been very satisfied with the quality of work, but they will not save antlers for you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#7]
tagged.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#8]
That's a lot of information that I needed.  I used to take my deer down to SilverRidge Farm (a beef/cattle operation east of Fredricksburg) and used them for years.  They also do an excellent job of cutting and packaging the meat, but they stopped taking deer that aren't skinned.  Since I don't have the ability hang a deer and skin it I needed other options.  Thanks guys!  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Self...  sorry...

FMO
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I live in Manassas and mainly do it myself, otherwise I use T&R Processing in Winchester.  They are quite a bit cheaper than Linthicum or Manassas Frozen Foods, and they do their own bologna, hams etc.  You won't be disappointed.  I took three deer to them last year and plan on going back.

T&R does a great job.  Their bologna and such is awesome.  The only thing to remember is that their jerky does not havea ny preservatives...so you need to eat it quick.
My last deer I took there (well, parts...as I use them to make sausage and stuff)...I went to pick it up and asked if they ever had people not come back...he said yes...and sold me another 25 lbs of burger/sausage and 10 lbs of jery for $20.  And then, gave me 3 packs of hot dogs (a new product for them last year) for free.  Good guys.  Use 'em.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember that there was a guy who lived along 234, heading west out of Manassas, who always
had a sign up along the road, saying that  he processed deer, beef, etc.

I don't know if he's still in business or not, nor have I ever done any business with him. I just
remember seeing the sign.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top