Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 4:02:00 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me if VA has a 3 round magazine capacity for deer hunting law?  I know that shotguns are required to be plugged to only hold 3 shells but I can't find the law on rifles.

What about small game?  Can a 10/22 with it's 10 round mag be used for small game?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Can anyone tell me if VA has a 3 round magazine capacity for deer hunting law?

Only on shotguns.

What about small game?  Can a 10/22 with it's 10 round mag be used for small game?

Depends on the county.  Some counties you have to use shotguns only for small and large game.  Check here

www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/regulations/index.html]www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/regulations/index.html
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:19:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:12:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I had heard you couldn't use rifles at all in the state of virginia (except a few select counties).  Is this true or have I been mis-informed?  What are the laws regarding rifles and hunting in VA?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I had heard you couldn't use rifles at all in the state of virginia (except a few select counties).  Is this true or have I been mis-informed?  What are the laws regarding rifles and hunting in VA?

Every county is different, I hunt in Augusta County on private land and the Nat'l Forest in Augusta Co and can hunt with any rifle over .23 cal.  I'm using a Rem 700 .30-06 and a .50 Beowulf this year.  During the muzzleloading season I'm using my .50cal Rem700ML.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:30:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every county is different, I hunt in Augusta County on private land and the Nat'l Forest in Augusta Co and can hunt with any rifle over .23 cal.  I'm using a Rem 700 .30-06 and a .50 Beowulf this year.  During the muzzleloading season I'm using my .50cal Rem700ML.

I live in Hanover and I just looked at the link someone posted above, and it looks like I was informed properly about all the nearby counties, no hunting with a rifle, shotgun only.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:31:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
During the muzzleloading season I'm using my .50cal Rem700ML.

That thing got a bayo lug and collapsing stock yet?  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:47:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Also don't forget, it's legal to hunt with a suppressed firearm in Va. too.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
During the muzzleloading season I'm using my .50cal Rem700ML.

That thing got a bayo lug and collapsing stock yet?  

No this one ain't too 'tactical', but OMG is it black with a black stock so it's kinda evil!    And it has a scope so Ted Kennedy would call it a 'sniper'-rifle
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#11]

My assumption was the original question knew they could hunt with a rifle, but needed specific advice on capacity.

www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/regs/display.cfm?p=local_firearms_ordinances

That link has each county listed with their individual restrictions on hunting firearms.

Yeah, I found my way there, but thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Caroline County is shotgun or muzzleloader for deer.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#14]
So does the no rifle magazine capacity law also mean that while hunting deer I don't have to plug my shotgun?  

I recently bought a Saiga 12 and would love to take it deer hunting without having to block the 5 rd magazine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#15]
As far as I know, shotgun plugs are only required when hunting birds - not deer.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
As far as I know, shotgun plugs are only required when hunting birds - not deer.

I'm guessing you ignore rule no. 2 of 'Legal use of Firearms and Archery Equipment?

www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/regs/display.cfm?p=general_hunting_regulations#Legal_Use_of_Firearms_and_Archery_Equipment
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By Hard Rock:
Also don't forget, it's legal to hunt with a suppressed firearm in Va. too.

Mike

Are you sure about that?  I think you may be dreaming...but I hope not.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Sorry, but shotguns must be plugged to accept no more than 3 rounds total including the one in the chamber.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:05:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quite sure.  I wrote to DF&G a few years back and asked.  I carry their response with my hunting license, tags, and copy of Form 4 when I'm in the field.

As suburbia encroaches on my deer hunting areas, using a suppressor keeps the new residents blissfully unaware of my activities.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quite sure.  I wrote to DF&G a few years back and asked.  I carry their response with my hunting license, tags, and copy of Form 4 when I'm in the field.

As suburbia encroaches on my deer hunting areas, using a suppressor keeps the new residents blissfully unaware of my activities.  

Nice...that means that now the VDGIF has rules that concealed handguns can be carried while muzzleloading, then I can use my suppressed P22 to fend off those feisty squirrels in early November.!!!
Can you forward, or post VDGIF's response?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:53:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Nice...that means that now the VDGIF has rules that concealed handguns can be carried while muzzleloading, then I can use my suppressed P22 to fend off those feisty squirrels in early November.!!!

I'd have to scan it as I wrote to them and they snail-mailed the response.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

PLEASE NOTE: You can't use your concealed weapon to hunt squirrels if you're hunting in deer muzzleloader or archery season. Carrying a weapon other than your muzzleloader or concealed handgun would be unlawful. Using your carry weapon, even to hunt legal species,while muzzleloader hunting, is also illegal according to this. Note that it says "wild animals" not "deer".
Here's the text from DGIF:
Concealed handguns may be in the possession of hunters during the archery and muzzleloading seasons when they also possess a valid concealed handgun permit. Such handguns may not be used to shoot wild animals during these seasons.

www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/regs/display.cfm?p=general_hunting_regulations#Legal_Use_of_Firearms_and_Archery_Equipment
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

PLEASE NOTE: You can't use your concealed weapon to hunt squirrels if you're hunting in deer muzzleloader or archery season. Carrying a weapon other than your muzzleloader or concealed handgun would be unlawful. Using your carry weapon, even to hunt legal species,while muzzleloader hunting, is also illegal according to this. Note that it says "wild animals" not "deer".
Here's the text from DGIF:
Concealed handguns may be in the possession of hunters during the archery and muzzleloading seasons when they also possess a valid concealed handgun permit. Such handguns may not be used to shoot wild animals during these seasons.

That sux monkey juice!
Shhhhh!!!  Don't tell nobody...it's gonna be suppressed!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah it blows. Getting rid of that "wild animals" part would be more to my liking. So I guess we can shoot "domesticated animals" with our concealed weapons? Whew, that's a relief!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#25]
So who's making a trip to the SPCA before they go out next time?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Yeah it blows. Getting rid of that "wild animals" part would be more to my liking. So I guess we can shoot "domesticated animals" with our concealed weapons? Whew, that's a relief!

"Hey, look at that calm, domestic and decidedly unwild squirrel in the leaves over there..."
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Hey, look at that calm, domestic and decidedly unwild squirrel in the leaves over there..."

It's a TRAP!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top